“Lovely food !!”

Cuisines: Egyptian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have heard lots about this place before going to Cairo, and it does not disappoint! They only serve one dish, koshary, an Egyptian staple vegetarian dish. You must try it when in Egypt, and this place does it very well, and is very clean as well inside.

Its only 8 Egyptian pounds for a small bowl, which is in fact more than enough for one person The big bowl is 10 Egyptian pounds I think.

There are newer reviews for Koshary Abou Tarek

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I went to this place after I saw it on the show NO RESERVATIONS by Anthony Bourdain. I was right, this place kept bringing me back to its hub, I stayed in Cairo for a month and we ate there everyday! It was the best local restaurant that doesn't con you. They are happy to have you and serve you just like others.

1  Thank roms4ever
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Abou Tarek is brightly lit and bustling. We went in to look at the menu but there isn't one. We were quickly told 'No problem, upstairs we will serve you.' We noticed that it was mostly tourists upstairs and we put our order in for 2 koshary and 2 bottles of water.

Service was fast and environment was relatively clean and bright and the Koshary was excellent. While eating, I noticed the sign above the cashier that says 'please pay first' and went to get up and pay when we'd finished. The waiter appeared and quickly charged us 26LE.

I don't know what the real price is but it was far more expensive than Felfella at Tala't Harb Street who were honest and helpful with their and their menu - which clearly indicated prices...

In the UK £2.50/£3 would have felt excellent value for the same dish but because there are better value meals to be had in Cairo we felt ripped off but we're still learning about these dubious practices...

So, if you go to Abou Tarek, Go straight to the checkout downstairs and order and pay for your small or large Koshary first. Then you can sit either downstairs or upstairs without worrying about being scammed - and leave a tip if you feel like it.

2  Thank SVGlee
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I've been in Cairo since 2005. One of my favorite dishes is Koshary: beans, lentils, rice, fried onions, lemon juice, hot sauce. This is the best I've had. It caters to foreigners. they take credit cards. It started from a little cart, then a corner shop, then expanded to three story-restaurant now. You haven't come to Cairo if you haven't eaten here!!!

It's just a bit difficult to find inside the back streets of downtown. Ask around. People usually know where to point you. But you need to ask lots of people along the way to make sure.

1  Thank cairoegypt
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I call it a delicacy, but in Egypt it is everyday poor man's meal.

We picked up take out Dinner from Abou Tarek. The Koshary tasted fresh and delicious. The take out packaging is very user friendly :) We ate our Dinner in the car while driving to our Hotel which was about a 45 Minutes drive.

Don't miss eating at Abou Tarek !!