WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #105 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Not a bad hotel!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel November 2012 - for the price I paid I didn't expect much. I requested that because I was staying for two weeks and bringing quite a bit of luggage that I could have a larger room.

The view from the larger rooms is spectacular - I arrived during the very early hours of the morning so couldn't see anything, but once it was light I could see one of the pyramids of Giza straight out of my window. Absolutely breath-taking!

The room itself was fine for what I wanted - a place to sleep and store my things! It was relatively clean and had air conditioning. Not the snazziest or most recently decorated. The bathroom was functional (apart from when the water was cut off, which affected most of Cairo rather than just our hotel). There was a fridge in my room, as well as a TV, drawers and wardrobe. There's also a small living area in the larger rooms where you have sofas and a second TV.

Unfortunately (and this is a problem with a lot of the hotels in Cairo that are close to any tourist attractions/busy roads) it was rather noisy all day from the traffic outside. Ear plugs are advised for light sleepers - luckily I was kept busy enough during the day to sleep soundly at night.

There is a breakfast buffet included with your room - it's not half bad! There's usually a selection of bread, meat and vegetables available as well as a variety of drinks. Not a very UK style breakfast, so for those of you wanting a full English you may need to look elsewhere.

The staff were always helpful and polite - they arranged transfers to the airport for my return trip with a really nice company. The first few days I was very cautious about leaving valuables in the room (as it was my first trip to Egypt) and so padlocked my bags, however by the end of my two week stay I happily left my bags unlocked and valuables tucked out of sight in the room.

The only real problem I had was internet access - the WiFi connection for the fourth floor was broken, and so I sat downstairs most nights on the laptop. All in all that wasn't such a bad deal - the hotel manager made up for it by getting me a cup of tea every time he saw me downstairs on my computer.

Overall, not a bad stay. I was really on a budget so had no great expectations, however this hotel was pretty much what I needed. Although TripAdvisor asks about a swimming pool and fitness room, I was told once there that they had neither - again, that didn't really bother me, but a good note for anyone wanting to know!

Room Tip: Ask if you can have a larger room - you'll get a great view of one of the pyramids of Giza! (alt...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Hannah S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
Horsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Without a doubt this is the best Hotel I have stayed in with regards views, and absolutely the worst with regards the quality of sleep, the noise was dreadful.

We stayed here as part of a package from Sharm Excursions, the rooms were clean but basic. I have attached a picture of the view from the bedroom window.

We had dinner in the hotel which was tasted delicious and was also good value breakfast was also very good and included in the price.

If it wasnt for the noise this hotel would have had a score of 5 as it has everything you want in a budget hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MarkR68
El Mansura, Egypt
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

stayed here for 3 nights and the staff keep asking when we want to pay for the room ( usually we'll pay during check out) or if they want, they can ask while we first check in. phoned 1 of our parent's room just to ask the same question ( in the middle of the night). i studied here for 6 years and this kind of treatment is intolerable and give bad impression about egyptians (to our parents).

stayed with the other 2 friends + a total of 14 family members.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank tq139

Travelers are raving about these Cairo hotels

istanbull, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have read the other's comments,and so suprised coz ı also stayed with a group of Turkish people,and it was very good according to 3 stars standarts. I am a professional of tourism,and ı travel a lot.
The location of hotel is a bit noisy in the early morning,but ı dont think that the other better hotels of the same location would be different.
The hotel has an amazing wiew of the pyramids. very close to many restaurants,and very close to a papyrus production house.
By the way the hotel has a very nice italian restaurant just downstairs. The food was excellent,especially penne arabietta:)and the service too.
The lady at the reception was very welcoming and helpful, ı really enjoyed my time.
By the way,the hotel has a nice souvenir shop,and ı feel pity that ı didnt have a hyerogliph necklace:( the brekfast wasnt excellent,but according the middle east standarts,it was nice. some people complained abt the smoke,but it is about laws of the country,so most of the tourist smoke at the hotel,and ı cant complain abt it.

Room Tip: Try to have a pyramids wiew room...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Hicali
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

The hotel is very near to the pyramids.You can see the pyramid very clearly through the window.You cannot sleep at night because of the sound of the vehicles.breakfast is good.Their is smell from the bathroom,and because of slope the water is coming to the room instead of going to drain.cheap in price and staff is friendly.

Room Tip: if u dont want to see the pyramid through the window ,better take back side rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lijucherian
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

In case you consider to book this hotel, you should know:
1) when you reach the check-in desk you will be harassed by the shopowner in the lobby area
2) Beeing feb. it can be quite cold in Cairo- but hotel has no heating sources- you will freeze
3) Single glazed windows, no insulation and bad maintenance you might as well sleep outside
4) no matter where your room is situated the traffic noise, shooting wedding goers or the tiny mosque with a volume that can wake up the dead- will keep you awake. Earplugs does not help you here.
5) if you choose to use the extra pillows or blankets in the cupboard please close your eyes- they surely have never been washed
6) 2 days out of 5 I had no towels- had to use the linnen from beds to dry up- bring toiletpaper as they do not provide this all the time
7) Cellar restaurant is filthy, tablecloths dirty, glasses and cups not clean (lipstick etc) and has a stench of catpee from the cats living there
8) you might find food in the corridors and elevators does not seem safe
9) lobby cafe does not lack any staff- but do not expect any service. Choose the halfboard option- can be taken in the room if you want- unfortunately I did not get any receipts when paying cash- just handed the money to the waiters (with the usual tips)- unfortunately some waiters did not put the money in the cashier but in their pockets. So on my departure I had to pay again as i could not provide any receipts- should have known better...
10) remember that the prices on the menu will be added 10%tax and 12% service charge- however they still expect a tip- so its a double tip. Egyptian greed taken to the full extend.
11) 6 waiters on duty- 3 guests- ordered soup and pasta, pasta arrived first - cold- asked for my soup and to warm up my pasta- never happened. There was a footballmatch on the telly- so went out to find something to eat.
12) cleaners washing floors on top floor just pushed the dirty water onto my balcony beneath- lovely!!!

Badly run hotel, bad maintenance, lazy and stealing staff, bad service,cold, noisy & filthy rooms and restaurants. Pyramids view does not add up- and I can in no way recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: sorry- it surely is a lottery- there might be a good one some where
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
10 Thank Aeronaut65
Braunton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed for one night in Jan 2013. We arrived at around 8pm to the hotel. The hotel is very run down, but this is expected in Egypt.

My partner nearly had an electric shock from the light switch on the bedside light as it exploded when we turned it on.

One of the things we liked about the hotel was the restaurant, we had good food for a very low price, I had the chicken shawarma and my partner the vegetarian pizza - these were very tasty and home made. We had drinks and bread and it only came to the equivalent of £15.

The bed sheets were dirty, some stains and smelly too - but as we were only staying one night this wasnt a huge problem.

The mini bar (which I wouldnt expect in a Cairo/Giza hotel anyway) was a fridge with a mouldy drink in it and a mound of frost at the back. The television had its power cable joined (twisted and taped together).

The staff were very very pestering, phoning us in the night and knocking the door asking for us to buy things and have taxis to various places / tours.

The road noise is phenomenal from any room (horns, cars all night) but that is expected in Egypt - the drivers seem to drive all night long and not sleep! We were also woken at 4am by the calls to prayer from the mosque which is very close to the hotel. I got the feeling that most egyptian people get very little sleep!

I would recommend others to stay at another hotel, and have a bus tour of the pyramids, as for our whole stay we felt 100% hassled by the egyptian people we encountered.

Room Tip: Any room would be a bad choice unless you are deaf
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank surferguy2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cairo
Grand Pyramids Hotel
Barcelo Cairo Pyramids
Pyramids View Inn
Pyramids View Inn
#1 of 139 in Cairo

Been to Tiba Pyramids Hotel? Share your experiences!