“Newly renovated usually means more than fresh paint”
Review of Berlin Hotel

Berlin Hotel
Ranked #42 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We called ahead to arrange 2 nights accommodation for 3 adults and 2 children, including a transfer from the domestic airport. Our flight arrived 10 minutes early, we waited until 20 to 30 mins after the expected arrival time and still no pickup. The assistance desk called the hotel on our behalf and informed us the transfer would arrive in one hour, it was middle of the night and young kids getting cranky. We arranged an alternative transfer to the hotel and were quite surprised at the state of the building and staircase, could have used a scrub ten years ago. We were shown to our rooms, the first, large 2 balconies, air cond, freshly painted, beds shaped like bananas, a shower (no toilet, odd choice) and many mosquitoes. The second was smaller and in a similar state but with older peeling/crumbling paint. I found the rooms very noisy and slept poorly.
Next morning we skipped the included breakfast (our loss) in search of somewhere we felt more comfortable. Our stay was only overnight (half really) and we were not allowed to leave until we paid for a full night (no problem) plus %20 of the second day due to canceling our second night. We were advised we were fortunate to not have to pay for the airport transfer, which did not arrive.
This is a budget hotel and i wish i had have booked the Osiris Hotel earlier.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank rubyrubyms

Reviewed September 19, 2010

I have been to this hotel a number of times over the last few years. It was recommended to me by an acquaintance, and for a long time I think this hotel has survived on word-of-mouth from happy customers. I must say that when I first arrived there my partner and I thought we had made a mistake as the entrance can be a little deceiving, and you may think there is no hotel there!

However, the hotel is a beautiful series of old rooms in an old building in the middle of Cairo, and therefore you are bang in the middle of all the restaurants and activities. The staff are super friendly and extremely helpful. They picked us up from the airport, arranged day trips to the pyramids, and were full of friendly good advice. The price they charge for all of their services are among the best you will find in Cairo (day trips and so on).

I cant recommend this enough, its not the most luxurious place in the world for sure, but it makes up for that with genuine good service and helpful thoughtful owners. I have recommended many other people to stay here by word of mouth and they have fell for its charm!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SafariKaty
Reviewed August 13, 2010

The Berlin Hotel is like a rough diamond. If you come here you will discover it's facets. We left with the impression that it's a little gem. Great value for money and service complete.
P.S. Cairo = car horns = ear plugs?
P.P.S. Talaat Harb Street, down from the American Coffee House
Fresh Mango and Sugar cane juices "YUM"
Look for the mangoes hanging out front

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank simary23
Reviewed August 10, 2010

The hotel is very well located in a quiet area, with cleen colored rooms ; the staff is warmly welcoming and completely dedicated to the customers.
Coming back, for sure !

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank euskadi22
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Dear Mr. Youssif and the Team at the Berlin Hotel:
I would like to thank the Team at the Berlin Hotel for my wonderful stay at their hotel in Cairo! I loved the room and the balconies were awesome! The new decoration of the room made me so pleased. But most of all, I must commend all of the team for the care and attention I received while I was there. All of them were so helpful to me and especially considerate and thoughtful. It is so heart-warming to know one can travel half way around the world and find such a wonderful group of people. They all really made me feel welcome and safe. I am telling everyone how great they are and what a fine time I had in Cairo.
Lynne Jackson
Brooklyn, New York

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank lynnejacks
Reviewed November 14, 2009

I'll assume that if you're staying at the Hotel Berlin, it's because you're travelling on a seriously tight budget. I was charged LE108 per night in October 2009 for a single-occupied double including breakfast, which is cheap. For that, you get what is clearly a budget hotel; expect that in advance and you won't be disappointed. The rooms are OK and the aircon works. The bonus is the super-friendly, really decent owner and aircon.

OK, the bad side first. Like many Cairo budget hotels, the building in which this hotel is located sucks. The entrance to the building is uninviting. Stale urine wafts up from the bottom of the lift cage. The lift going to the 4th floor hotel looks like a death trap. Once you get up there, you find a hotel which has seen better days and indeed may once again see them. But it ain't the Ritz.

The location is absolutely fantastic, just off Talaat Harb Street, right in Downtown Cairo and handy for a few cheap pubs (always a bonus in alcohol-unfriendly Cairo), great restaurants and an easy 7 minute walk from Midan Tahrir with its metro station and other transport options.

The owner is extremely friendly, and very knowledgeable. Please, please speak to him before trying to see the really touristy sites - especially the Pyramids. He will let you know what you really should be paying for tours, renting camels, etc. Otherwise, it is very easy to get screwed over unless you have an Egyptian friend who knows the tourist industry.

The owner is not on site much. The other staff do not speak English, but they are extremely helpful, and they will ring the boss if they need to explain anything. The breakfast is an omlette and a good strong cup of tea. The staff will show you how the aircon works and, in the season, spray the room for mosquitos every time you come back.

The rooms are big, and if you have a shared bathroom (I did) it has been recently renovated. I would advise checking the bed linen but they will happily change it if there is a problem.

There is internet access - the computer is ancient but the connection was fast every time I used it. And it was cheap.

This is definitely a step up from the hostels, and it represents good value for money. If you can spend about twice as much per night you can get much better - I could and should have - but if you're on a genuinely tight budget, this is a steal.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
5  Thank TheBoojum
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I backpacked two weeks in Egypt in Easter and had only great experiences with my accomodations ( thanks to trip advisor!).
I spent four nights in Cairo at the Berlin Hotel and the room was massive, clean and the staff extra helpful. Nothing was too much to ask,. Their deal with drivers were also quite good. Special mention to the manager who is a true professional and make sure that everything run smoothly.
So if you want a bargain central Cairo don't look anywhere else!
You can even walk to many sightings, however being downtown the hotel is a bit noisy.

3  Thank Nadiapurple