“Old building another experience”
Review of Berlin Hotel

Berlin Hotel
Ranked #39 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I hardly give a hotel with excellent mark , this is especially for the director Hisham A.Youssif,
the hotel itself is not particularly outstanding, indeed the room is just reach "my standard request" (i stay the cheapest room, not sure the others), but consider the price, the service, the way they look after their guest, this hotel deserve to have given an excellent mark, the reputation of Berlin is always good, that's for reason, and i am not going to list in detail of my stay. probably others already tell a lot. thanks and cheers

Room Tip: you can spent a bit more to stay better room, ask them they are always happy to help,
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
9  Thank Hennessy H
There are newer reviews for Berlin Hotel

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is good if you have to be down town
Very friendly stuff
Thanks to mr Hisham the manager he is so caring and helpful
The rooms are big and clean and the atmosphere is very good the building is old but that what makes it unique

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank Mohamed H
Reviewed December 28, 2013

First a word about Cairo. Amidst safety warnings, Cairo remains one of the warmest, friendliest and surprisingly safest cities I've been to in a while. Each traveler must of course exercise caution when choosing to travel, but my experiences here were nothing but positive. Now for Berlin hotel, with the disclosure that I was only here for one night. First the good. Shortly after I booked my room I received a warm email from the owner welcoming me to the country and offering transportation from the airport to the hotel. I checked their prices and they were competitive with prices on the street so I said yes. When my flight arrived my driver was waiting with my name on a sign, and took me straight to the hotel at the pre-arranged rate. The owner called again to make sure I arrived safely, and made further arrangements for me to do a couple of tours including the Giza pyramids with the same driver. The driver spoke limited English, but he still gave me a history of Cairo and a scenic tour along the Nile, and helped me get lunch, change money, and avoid throwing away thousands of Egyptian pounds to the touts at the pyramids. It felt like personalized service all the way, way beyond what I was expecting. The owner was in constant contact with the taxi driver, and whenever he dropped me off at the hotel the owner made sure someone was waiting to personally escort me off the busy street into the hotel and to my room. Not only did I feel safer but it kept the hawkers and policemen away since this was my first time in Egypt and I didn't speak the language. The owner also introduced me to another long-time American guest at the hotel who was a welcome friendly face. He spoke the language fairly well and knew many locals so I ended getting a free walking tour of the city and catching some of its vibrant nightlife. Other positives for the hotel include its central location, free wifi, complementary breakfast and private shower within the room. The negatives. Said shower only had semi-warm water, toilets were shared but clean, and even though the hotel is four flights up you could still hear some street noise till very late. That worked for me since I was part of the street noise and wanted an authentic downtown experience, but if that's not your thing you should take that into consideration. Overall for the price, amenities and extraordinary service, I wouldn't think twice about staying here again. The owner called again in the morning to wish me safe travels, and the same driver took me to the airport and invited me to visit again. I'm planning on it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Savvyhopper
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed at the Berlin for eight days at the beginning and end of a three week trip to Cairo. I have stayed in budget and backpacked hotels in Central America, the Middle East, and Africa and rate the Berlin as an excellent value. My room was large and clean, with a balcony and ensuite shower, and the shared toilet facilities were spotlessly clean. They can arrange a very reasonable airport pickup and drop-off, which I would reccomend for even the most experienced traveler when arriving in Cairo. The downtown location makes for an easy walk to Islamic Cairo, the Egyptian Museaum and other attractions. They also offer reasonably priced tours/excursions, but are not aggressive in thier sales tactics. The owner Hisham Abd ElHamid Youssif, is fluent in English and a few other languages, and is a wealth of knowledge about attractions and events in Cairo and the rest of the Egypt, including many that are not mentioned in the guidebooks. Hisham and the staff are extremely attentive to thier guests needs. Although he was ill on the day that I arrived, he insisted on having a friend who was fluent in English meet me at the hotel for tea and give me a short briefing on the current political/security situation. I have been to a few countries that were experiencing politcal strife in the past twenty years of traveling and have never had a hotel owner go out of his way to offer such valuable assistance. I traveld for three weeks in the Nile Valley, always felt safe, never had any problems. If you have ever wanted to travel to Egypt, the time is NOW! The dropping value of the Egyptian pound makes for great bargains, the sites that normally see thousands of tourists per day are virtually empty, and most of all, the friendly and welcoming Egyptian people could really, really use our help.

Room Tip: The ensuite shower is very convenient
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Groverfish
Reviewed October 8, 2013

If you are looking for low-cost but comfortable hotel,then Berlin Hotel is the place to go. I stayed there for one week and was very satisfied with the accommodation. My room was clean and spacious and the air-condition worked There was also a shower in the room. Although the toilets were shared, they were always spotlessly clean. The manager, Mr. Hisham, was always inquiring about my welfare and the staff was very attentive to my needs. Mr. Hisham was also kind enough to arrange several tours for me to popular tourist sites. Do not let the entrance to the building or the elevator throw you off. The hotel is good. If I have to go to Cairo again I would go there.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the main street.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Benjamin B
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Berlin Hotel is really a very good place. You can feel a wonderful atmosphere there thanks to the manager mr. Hisham and also thanks to all the staff. It is like the atmosphere of the "old good times". I felt better than at home. Things are handled in a very professional way. My rooms was spacious and with A/C. The hotel is clean and it is located in a very central area were you can find anything you need. I strongly reccomend to visit Berlin hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Mohamed S
Reviewed May 11, 2013

i stayed here almost 2 months and i would stay again. conveniently located near three metro stns , restaurant, entertainnent, shopping and more.staff were great and helpful at all times. do not let the appearance of the building throw you off. the hotel itself is good.All my needs were catered to.

• Stayed: March 2013