“Great stay”

Ranked #22 of 58 Cairo B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great stay”
Reviewed May 19, 2011

We had a great stay in Alexander hotel, the staff was very nice and helpfull. They told us about nice trips we could make and also about the sights in the area. The room was very nice and there was also wifi internet. Mostafa and Haitham were always there to meet all of our needs. Our room was kept nice and clean and also the common room was a nice place to eat the food that we bought in the area. The location of the hotel is also very nice, it's in downtown Cairo, but even though this is the busiest area of the city, the hotel is still quiet and we never had problems of hearing noise. This is because the rooms are all at the back of the hotel and not in front of the street, and if you ask me that's a real must have in busy Cairo. Because the hotel is in downtown, it's also close to the big shopping streets and the metro is also nearby. I'm sure i will go to this hotel again, it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank butterfly9234

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 19, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. What a wonderfull service these guys provide! Not only did i feel very safe here, i also felt very welcome and the guest service is amazing! Especially Mostafa Hosny was so sweet and good to us! He really provides service to his guests like with great information and helping us with all we needed. The hotel also provides good excursions with a great guide.
Also the rooms are very clean and the hotel is located very central in Cairo. Located in the crowded downtown area, but once in the hotel you feel the relaxed atmosphere and really can get some peace. I would for sure visit this hotel again!

Room Tip: Ask Mostafa Hosny to help you! Great guy!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Y0landa1976
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Excellent costumer services
Very big and plesant rooms
Prime location
Very hygienic

Room Tip: ask the receptionist for the best room
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We had a lot of fun staying at this hostel. The airport pick up was clutch. It was great not having to find a cab driver late at night and try to give him directions to the hotel. It's right smack in the middle of downtown so the location can't get much better. My brother and I had a lot of fun just wandering the streets of downtown every night doing some shopping (like REAL shopping ie: clothes, shoes, etc...not kitschy garbage souvenirs). There are also a bunch of restaurants (both Egyptian and American fast food) within a couple of blocks. That and a street my brother and I termed "hookah bar alley" is only maybe 2 blocks away (go out the door, turn right, turn left at the tall building with lights around the top, it's like half a block down on the right hand side). They are not lying to you about wifi in the lobby and rooms either like so many other hostels do. We were able to stream our American television over slingbox (www.slingbox.com if you don't know what it is) and watch all the college bowl games (ROLL TIDE). If you're at all like me, having decently fast internet is a BIG DEAL and these guys were up to snuff. The guide they booked for us was great too. Approximatley $100 each for two days guided tour of Sakkara, Memphis, Giza, Islamic Cairo, Coptic Cairo, a dinner cruise on the Nile, and a ride back to the airport. Had a good time hanging out in the common area surfing the web, noshing on "helwa", watching movies (American ones) on the TV, and meeting different travelers at night. There was a good mix of people in here. Americans, Aussies, a Russian or two, and some Euro guy that just said "Hello Americans". Highly recommended...where else are you going to get a private room in downtown Cairo for $20 a night?

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We, my husband and myself, went to Egypt recently for a pleasure trip. We reached at Cairo on 18th October 2010 evening and needed an accommodation for a night, as we were scheduled to leave for Luxor on 19th Oct. The hotel (we stayed at their QABANA wing) is situated in the heart of downtown area, walking distance from the Egyptian Museum. The corridors and the room of the hotel were gloomy, room had no ventilation, so you have to keep the AC on all the time. Shower in the attached toilet of our room was broken and the drainage system was faulty hence the room flooded with water while I was using the toilet. We had to call the hotel staff for rescue. Can't say if all their rooms and toilets are like that! Breakfast was delayed because they had shortage of staff, however, one of the persons sitting in the reception, who received us warmly when we checked in, managed to get us bread, butter, jam and hot tea. Those two guys were amazing and tried their best to make us comfortable, but the room was too bad and their entrance doesn't tell you that it's Qabana. One who doesn't know that Qabana is a part of Alexander hotel, might get confused, just like us. The entrance is rather shady with an ancient elevator, which has broken doors.

Thank God that we chose to stay with them for just 1 night! Won't recommend at all!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DebsDeep
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Upon arrival to the hotel, it's very scary- the enterance isn't "welcoming" by any means! We were disappointed when we arrived and realized that the elevator was not working. After halling our bags upstairs we were able to get checked into our rooms. We had two seperate rooms. One room had a clothes hanging outside of the window, it looked as though someone had been living there/ice cold A/C but also an ice cold shower (they never were able to get hot water for the shower). On the other hand, my room never cooled down, no matter how low I had the A/C and was right on the main street- in Egypt they honk like crazy, so that was a little annoying but I'm a heavy sleeper and had no problem getting to sleep. If you're a light sleeper though, make sure you're not in room 201! The owner of Alexander is really nice and very knowledgable on what to do in Egypt. We had egyptain tea with him and it was very enjoyable. If you're looking for just a place to lay your head at night and potentially be a little uncomfortable (cold shower/no A/C) this is the place to stay. Price is great! When researching hotels in Egypt, it seems it's either very expensive (Four Seasons, Sherton, ect.) or very inexpensive but not the best accomodations.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed February 20, 2010

I arrived there early in the morning on the day I was booked in and they had no problem letting me have my room at 7.30am at no extra charge.
I have read some of the reviews that say that this is not a hotel but it is well worth the money you pay!
My room was clean enough and the ensuite was a bonus!

The staff were amazingly helpful and will do anything to try and make your stay more enjoyable.
I booked a tour of the pyramids through them which came with a private car (driven by one of the owners) and my own guide. The guide spoke brilliant English and had an extensive knowledge of the ancient Egyptians. He explained all the pyramids and surrounding relics in detail with out making it too long winded...perfect!!
His name is Waseem if you are wanting to book the same one.

They even let me put my bag at the hotel and sit in the common room on the day I left Cairo (I wasn't even staying there as I'd come on the overnight bus from Dahab).

If you are going in the next few weeks they are doing extensive renovations so there is some dust and noise but don't let it put you off. And the person that said that front of the building is a little shabby then they are correct but don't let that put you off either!

Amanda