Le Riad Hotel de charme
$135
$196
$160
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $184/night.

$191
Fairmont.com
$139
Orbitz.com
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of $180/night.

$335
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The hotel is on the main street running from the old city walls to Khan el Khalili, these being only 5 minutes' walk away in opposite directions. Very close to the historic mosques and other old buildings of Islamic Cairo. We were slightly worried that, although our room was on the 5th floor and at the side of the hotel, we would be disturbed by street noise, because the area absolutely heaves, but we weren't disturbed at all.
For atmosphere, the area cannot be beaten.
The hotel itself has been stunningly designed, decorated and fitted out. The rooms are themed; ours was room 13, which had "music" as its theme (and its name). When I say "room", there was a living room, bedroom, dressing room/office and large bathroom. Free wifi throughout. There is a nice roof garden.
The bar/restaurant area was very attractive. Our package included "continental breakfast", which included all the usual, plus toast, extensive selection of fresh fruit and fresh omelettes.
A special mention must be made of the staff, all of whom were very friendly and helpful, and especially the assistant manager, Hussein, who was exceptionally so, way above and beyond the call of duty.
I understand from our tour operator that the owner of the hotel is Syrian, and that the hotel is for sale; if it IS sold, I hope the new owners keep the style and standards unchanged. We shall certainly stay at Le Riad de Charme on our next visit to Cairo, and I would recommend anyone who wants a central location, comfort, and to experience the charm of the real city to stay there, too.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samthetax
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Once you have found it, which can be a problem, as it is in the pedestrianised heart of old Cairo, you have found a haven of comfort.the decoration is adventurous and elegant, the rooms comfortable and clean.the food is not so exciting, better to east on the street.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank John S
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Quite the experience at Le Riad in Cairo. Unfortunately, we only stayed there one night but what a beautiful place to stay. The location is wonderful; we enjoyed the morning sun on the rooftop while enjoying breakfast and then experiencing the markets in the evenings during a night time stroll. The rooms (yes multiple) were spacious complete with a seating area, 'office', bathroom and bedroom. Highly, highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DMastron
Reviewed April 23, 2011

This boutique hotel is like an oasis in the midst of a city suffused with heavy traffic, heat and dust; and true to its name, it is very charming with carefully designed interiors straight out of a glossy magazine. It has in fact been featured in at least one glossy travel mag placed on each room’s coffee table!
Located in the heart of “Islamic Cairo” quite a long taxi ride from the downtown area, this hotel is probably only suitable for those wanting to immerse themselves in an intense Cairo experience over a few days rather than those just on a short stop over for business or to see the pyramids. That said, a 3-4 day stay in this location is probably enough; we spent our remaining 3 days in Cairo enjoying the various 5 star comforts at the Sofitel Cairo El Gizirah, which we can also recommend!
Taxi drivers often didn’t know how to find this hotel (we were driven all over Cairo by the airport taxi on day 1 much to the driver’s growing frustration), so it’s worth downloading travel directions before arrival. Better still to also have these written in Arabic by the ever-helpful hotel staff so that you can make your way back when you venture out of the walled enclave. Although becoming lost in the nearby narrow lanes of Khan Al Khalili can be fun in the daytime when it is a colourful buzzing bazaar.
Also noteworthy about being in this area is that there is not an alcoholic drink to be had in this hotel or in any of the restaurants elsewhere. So if this matters, bring in your own duty free alcohol to pop in the hotel room’s fridge. Otherwise local brand beer and wine can be bought in ‘Drinkies’ outlets located in the downtown and Zamalek areas of Cairo.
The need to cover-up to avoid unwanted attention, especially for women, is probably also greater in this more traditional Islamic area than elsewhere. So best to pack light trousers or long skirts etc also taking into account the heat, as these are hard to buy locally.
As well as being incredibly stylish, the hotel’s suites are very big, although their layout isn’t very efficient. We’d booked a ‘superior’ executive suite but found that despite it having a very large comfortable bedroom, the TV was in an adjacent sitting room. Preferring to watch TV from bed when on holidays we downgraded to a ‘standard’ suite, to then find it only had reception for Al Jazera channel! This also had multiple rooms, but at the expense of the bedroom size. No balcony, but figure you wouldn't probably sit on this much anyway. The rooms all have huge bathrooms, air-con and laptops with free wifi connection, which was very convenient.
Rooms on the upper levels are also probably best to avoid street noise and being woken at 4am by the calls to prayer from the mosque right next door, and the 50 or so others in the near vicinity! However all rooms have double glazed windows, which were effective in minimising outside noise. This has the added advantage of being near the very pleasant roof-top garden where we chose to have breakfast each morning. Although Nespresso coffee costed extra (5 USD each!), the inclusive fresh orange juice, cheese, pastries, eggs, yoghurt and fruit made for a great start to the day.
While another reviewer questioned this hotel’s value for money at 240 Euros/night, we only paid $210/night for the superior executive room, and in retrospect only needed a standard room priced at just $170 through booking.com, which certainly constitutes good value for what was a unique hotel experience in a very unique part of Cairo.

Room Tip: Upper level, south eastern aspect, standard suite
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2010

The upside: Le Riad is absolutely stunning. BTW, it is owned by the same folks who own the Talisman, where I stayed at the beginning of my Egyptian adventure. Le Riad has outdone themselves in their decor. My room (#7) was HUGE; it started with a sitting room with large flat screen TV, an office with small balcony walkout, including laptop computer. Separate bedroom, with king sized bed and gorgeous linens, plus another sitting area. Fantastic bathroom with the best towels I had on my trip, and great accessories. Utterly stunning rooftop garden, and a gorgeous "tea room" off the dining area. Under normal circumstances, it could be considered a 4-5 star hotel. Except for one massive problem: its location.

Here’s the downside: Its placement at the edge of the Khan el Khalili market means that to get there, any driver has to deal with the maze of streets in that area. None of them want to do that. The hotel claimed it could provide drivers to its guests, except that when I asked for one, they could not back up their offer. They did, however, track down a cab for me; it took three of them to negotiate the cab fare to Zamelek. The cabbie on the way back refused to drive me in, and dropped me at the other edge of the Khan el-Khalili market; it took me about 45 minutes to walk back from where he dropped me. The cops who helped me couldn’t believe the cabbie had done that!

The location is also at issue for the time of the week I stayed there; a Wednesday and a Thursday evening. Thursday nights in Cairo are the equivalent of Friday nights in North America; the start of the weekend. The noise from the street “party” was so loud that my 32-decibel rated earplugs could not keep it out, nor the thumping music beat in my room. It was unreal; like being in the front row of a rock concert. On other nights you are subject to the market noise, but more on par with a Times Square kind of constant sound, not the insanity of that weekend all-nighter.

I had no hot water for the first 12 hours or so until we finally discovered that the heater for my room was not on. The promised laptop in the office area could not keep its internet connection. The technician who was up in my room told me this happens a lot.

Breakfast was beautiful. Dinner was not. For dinner, they offer a choice of three different meals for dinner, that have to be booked in advance: Indian, Egyptian, Moroccan. Might as well pass on it. They ordered in from a nearby restaurant, it arrived lukewarm, and I got someone else’s order LOL. The staff argued with me that I had, in fact, ordered it, however, upon investigation with the restaurant, they realized I was not lying. They were smart enough to remove the charge from my bill.

This was an old warehouse that was converted in a "gentrification" attempt. The rooms are up on half levels; there is a small set of about 6-8 stairs to access each level. Apparently, the elevator works only half the time. So: if you have any mobility issues, this is NOT the place, no matter what day of the week.

So here's my ultimate impression: when an Egyptian-style hotel (as opposed to the western chain hotels) charges me 240 EUROS per night, I expect much better than that (their sister hotel, the Talisman, was about 125 Euros a night). Essentially, what I paid for was the interior decorating. If I had to choose between this place and their other hotel, the Talisman that I initially stayed in, I would actually choose the Talisman! Or, for those dollars, I would, indeed, choose a western hotel, such as the Marriott (which was gorgeous, BTW).

While the hotel was gorgeous, the noise and the hotel's inability to provide a level of service that lives up to the visuals and the pricing left me disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo