“The atmosphere was fun the food wasn't”
Review of Estoril

Estoril
Ranked #181 of 4,168 Restaurants in Cairo
Cuisines: Egyptian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Oxford, United Kingdom
“The atmosphere was fun the food wasn't”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I'd been told this place was one about the best in downtown Cairo and because I am recovering from flu thought I would treat myself. The pictures on the wall are very amusing, the staff seem happy joking with each other wearing some sort of Egyptian/Ottoman get up. I chose the steak au poivre. Perhaps I am hallucinating but under the mediocre pepperless gravy I tried to guess - Maybe they are testing out some frankestein meat grown from a culture in a top security monsanto establishment - whatever it was it wasn't fillet steak or fillet mignion as the yanks would have it. Well, this is truely disappointing and 100 le/ ten quid for that and a half bottle of water when you add the 12 percent service and the 13 percent local tax. I gave 200 le and my change was conveniently in denominations of 10 le or above - clearly I was expected to tip I looked in my pocket for a 5 le note and left. It is tragic when a place seems to trade off a reputation that it hasn't deserved for some time and uses it to rip off new customers and downtown Cairo uis full of such places, In Egypt they often do not seem to understand the concept of once bitten twice shy or "repeat business" .
I think however I will give it another chance but I won't have anything on the expensive end of the menu until I am confident they know what they are doing and do it.

• Visited November 2012

West Hollywood, California
“Great for single women”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I am SO happy to learn that Estoril is still open! I spent many hours there during a long stay in Cairo in 2007. As a single woman traveling alone in that part of the world it was always a bit of a challenge to find a place that was welcoming. Estoril was that and so much more. Another reviewer on this page complained about being an unwelcome single. Why in the world would a single person sit any place but the very comfortable bar? It's a great place to sit and write or meet locals or just be. There are good beers with complementary pita chips, veggies and dip. The staff was especially gracious. Yes, the smoke is awful. But really it's hard to find places in Cairo that are smoke-free. I long to return to Cairo and when I do the first place I will go will be to Estoril.

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Gone down the pan from what it used to be - never again”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We had visited this restaurant a few times in 2007 and 2008, but our dining experience here in 2012 was a totally undesirable experience - I even prefer to call it a disaster.

The waiters kept us on hold, maybe because we didn't want to order a pre-meal alcoholic drink or a bottle of wine and it took around half an hour for the waiter to take our order, as it seems they were keen to serve the alcohol-ordering folks, some of which arrived ten to fifteen minutes after we did.

We ordered a fish meal with rice and soup and were totally shocked when our meal arrived. The fish was a breaded fish of the supermarket variety - and this for a meal that we paid almost 150 EP for.

Sorry, but they won't ever be getting our custom again at the Estoril.

• Visited September 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Do not seem to want solo travellers”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Visited Estoril because of its good reviews, at the time I was on my own. Place is obviously very popular with local professionals and was packed when I left. Food okay & other people appeared to be enjoying themselves, however establishment did not seem to want a solo guest taking up a table for two (either that or did not want tourists). Waiter treated me with disdain from the outset saving his smiles for the locals. Then when I asked for a desert I was told that they were not doing any! Therefore I asked for a second beer, which never arrived so I left.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank KMLondon22
Cairo, Egypt
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you like athmosphere”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

In downtown close to talah-tarb place, this restaurant is old, dark inside, but it has a wonderful athmosphere. Go there for eating or only for a beer on the bar. On the bar the beer is served with salad and bread.