“Real and refreshing...”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2012

As a regular visitor to Cairo, I get fed up with hotel bars but since being introduced to Pub 28, I now know where I can go any time of day and be in a real bar, with real people drinking decent cold beer and eating good wholesome food at a price that is a fraction of the sterile hotels bill. Small mezze dishes (chicken livers a must) a piece of meat, plate of pasta - nothing gormet but tasty, wholesome and cheap! I drink the Meister Max beer - which is strong at 8+ % alcohol, but it is tasty....! Always a good mix of locals, many with a bottle of scotch on the table, lots of smoke, and just an ambience that makes you feel right "at home".

2  Thank Shaun321
There are newer reviews for Pub 28

Reviewed December 23, 2011

For 13 years I've been going to the same barber in Zamalek and I frequently stop in to have a beer and a steak. This pub is frequented by a regualr clientele; their mugs with their names on them line the back of the bar. And tables have long standing reservations. So you're treated somewhat as an outsider ands service is aloof. But their babaganough is to die for! And their beer is cold!

2  Thank Douglas A
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I have been going there for ages. They have a very good food menu and the atmosphere is very good. Nice music and nice clientelle.

2  Thank Zeus3000
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Prices have soared in Egypt, and dining out in 2011 will cost twice what it did in 2005. You also want to be wary of meat in third world restaurants, but Pub 28 owner Magdy gets the same high quality as restaurants like Four Seasons and Marriott. If you are not on an expense account and don't wish to pay $40 for your steak dinner (and are not looking for ambiance-- Pub 28 is famous for noise and smoke), you can get a good pepper steak or steak with mustard sauce in the $15 range. This restaurant attracts a crowd of regulars because it's one of the few "bars" in town. Also famous for mezza.. small bowls of snacks that include chick peas, chicken livers, cheese, fried calamari or vegetables.

2  Thank DeliaCairo
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Having been a regular of Pub 28 when living in Cairo, I was looking forward to a revisit and to see if teh steaks were as good as ever. Well, certainly a time warp as the interior had not changed in 25 years, same menu and ordered 2 pepper steaks and 2 meals for the kids. What came was a very sad thin strip of steak, and a few chips, certainly no comparison with what they used to prepare, no salad as listed and only one steak when we ordered 2 even discussed medium / rare / welldone with the waiter. Waited for sauce and my steak, never came, then went up to ask and was told that only one steak had been ordered, no comment on the lack of pepper steak / sauce. But then noticed the meal that I had expected to be delivered being served to what I am sure was a regular. Real serious row with staff who weren't at all interested in getting it sorted out. We paid for our drinks and walked out!

Basically this is only for regulars - I expect, as a tourist they don't expect you back and will serve the rubbish. A rip off and a real dissappointment, avoid it! I was expecting to be recommending this place, I'm sad I can't!

3  Thank simonmallett