“Budget hotel - good service, good location, cleanliness was a bit lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bostan Hotel

Bostan Hotel
Bostan Hotel
Ranked #115 of 138 Hotels in Cairo
Toronto, Canada
“Budget hotel - good service, good location, cleanliness was a bit lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and I weren't very picky about our hotel having come across the Bostan Hotel at 4am after taking a very long night bus to Cairo from Sharm el-Sheikh.

The price we paid for our room was reasonable, given its central location - with the Cairo Museum being in walking distance. We stayed at the Bostan for two days before leaving for another destination.

Our experience with the service was good - we found staff to be both friendly and helpful, with one of the desk staff, providing us with sight-seeing information and information on getting to the Bahariya Oasis and the Western Desert - the next leg of our journey. They also arranged a reasonably priced trip to visit the pyramids for us - which though good, is full of those "I have a friend" referrals (e.g. for papyrus, for camel rides, for lunch, etc.), so be warned. We politely declined many of these referrals on our trip.

Aside from the service, the Bostan Hotel itself is okay. The room we had consisted of three single beds, and some shabby furniture. The bathroom was adequate, and it had hot water. Personally, I found the room a bit musty and a little dirty, but I had a good night's sleep, and the breakfast served on the 12th floor was decent.

One bonus was that there was free wifi in the lounge area on the main floor.

Not sure if I would stay there again, but for travellers on a budget, and who are only staying in Cairo for a few short days it's an option.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ms_Chickita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

Avoid this place at all costs. My room was on the tenth floor and the door to the stairs was LOCKED!! Hotel staff were unconcerned.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Cairo hotels

Milan, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

I have to say, I have been staying at the Bostan Hotel because there were no other choices in Cairo for a couple of days at a mid-range price... The place is O.K. Breakfast is not worth taking the elevator trip and spoiling your appetite. Service was horrible and the owner was rather nasty to me when I question the price increase. Then, he ask me to write a nice review because he did not like what he reads at TRip ADvisor.cOm... (This one is on my own). The tour they sold me was only to cover half the trip. From Edfu on I have to contract Amigo Tours. Most of the hotels along the way had not receive the money for my reservation, and they robbed me for some of the attractions which were not included or even near the places I did visit... Even a staff member told me: *my friend*, meant in Egypt: I WANT YOUR WALLET. And *welcome*, I WANT TO SUCK THE LIVING BLOOD OUT OF YOU...

Room Tip: Double room, means two separate beds. Not a double bed.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

I was in this hotel few weeks ago and one day i realized that my camera was missing and i remember not bringing it with me that day because i was not going to do tourist stuff. The interesting thing is that the door of my hotel room was not broken so that means it is the staff who entered my room when i was not there and stole the camera. Three days later a pair of shoes was missing again no broken door. That is when i was 100% sure that it is the staff that steals his own guests. How is that everybody! I do not recommend this hotel at all.

Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

They two good points in this hotel are the owner and the restaurant.
The owner is friendly and honest. He arranged us a car and driver for a pyramid trip in a reasonable price, and gave us one or two more recommendations.
Ee enjoyed to have our (included) breakfasts in the rooftop restaurant, where you have a nice urban view.
The room wasn't very clean, but we spent most of the time outside, so we didn't care.
Ah, and it's well located in the city center, 2 min walk from a metro station.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Selmakie
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

We had requested a "budget hotel" for our two nights in Cairo so were not expecting luxury. Our room was a bit tired and there was a problem with the air con which made it smelly. Sheets were old and had holes. But all the staff were really lovely, friendly and helpful. And there was a fridge, hot shower and the loo functioned (unlike other places we stayed!) Enjoyed the roof top cafe with great views. Brilliant location in downtown Cairo within walking distance of the Egyptian Museum, Tahrir Square and the Nile. Its not for you if you are looking for 5 star luxury but great if you want to experience the real Cairo.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

The number i got to call for taxi was not in service. Had to use other to get there. My flight was late in the evening and upon arrival was told that there would be lucky if there was a room for me. The room i got at $120-130 per night was not up to standard; the shower curtain was badly mildwed and between the tiles black with mildew.
The next devastating experience,was that i was robbed the second night across the street from hotel ,after coming back from dinner. Everything was taken..with my purse. Money,cheques,Jewellery,passport, credit cards, driver's license, IDs. Rx glasses,digital camera and other important and personal things.,even my house keys.
People never seemed to have a heart. The need for their money was more important. I was very disappointed with cairo. The crazy driving,panhandling on the streets by beggars who don't know that "NO" = "NO". The constant honking of the horns,wasjust total madness.
The taxi-drivers who doubled the fares, those merchants who speaks of 'tourist prize' and egyptian prices. The sadness of little children begging and selling on the streets late at nights.
It's very appauling to know that a place that protrays such wholeness has so much corruptidness and dihonesty.. Double cheek kissing,hugging then in a moment weapons of war and destruction. I still have not come to grips and is still having night-mares over this ordeal. I could not leave cairo before my 27 days were up as I had no money for changing fares, and luckily it was e- tickets or i would have no form of purchase proof.
My friend took me to Luxor and that gave me a few days with a sense of relief. People seemed more caring and not the same total caious as cairo. But the lots of young childrren begging and selling on the streets at nights,really squeezed my heart hard..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends