“Reviews confusing.”

Ranked #51 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Brisbane, Australia
“Reviews confusing.”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Based on the reviews I saw for this hotel I booked in for 3 nights September 2011. I had problems finding the entrance as it looked nothing like the photos I had viewed. I had booked a superior room through the internet and now I see that the rate was more than they quote on the web site. On arriving I was shown two rooms that looked nothing like the ones on the web and was told there was a problem with the superior and offered one of two shown at a rate of $40 per night. As it was so late I agreed. There was one sheet only on the bed,no pillowcases,the tv did not work and there was no balcony or garden. Do they have more than one floor and I was just unfortunate?? Breakfast was very basic and eaten sat on the bed as there is nowhere else. Need less to say I was very dissapointed and checked out the next day. I moved to a 5 star for an extra $10 per night that was incredible. The two young chaps none of which are the ones mentioned were pleasant. I would not return

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Shrinkingworld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bon Accord, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed September 10, 2011

While I was vacationing in Cairo, Egypt this summer.. I came across a HOTEL called ..
"THE JULIANA".. and I have to say a big THANKYOU to the staff members who work their.. KAREEM, JIMMY, and TITO.. who all made me feel so welcomed during my month long stay.
They all made me feel like it just wasn't a hotel.. but a home away from home!
And if you want the BEST TOUR GUIDE who also works at the hotel.. then I would highly recommend AHMED ROSHDY. His knowledge and history of all that Egypt has to offer is incredible. He can accomodate you on anything your interested in seeing and your experience will be nothing short of amazing!!

Room Tip: The rooms with a balcony are nice... because you can sit outside and enjoy the view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank debblyschuk
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I chose the Juliana after reading its very positive reviews on Tripadvisor. If you desire a great little hotel at an affordable rate--and don't require a luxurious 4- or 5-star hotel--then definitely choose the 3-star Juliana.

I treated my fiance Faiza and her best friend Khera (both from Tunisia) to a Cairo trip as they had never been to Egypt (nor flown on a plane) and I wanted to be absolutely sure that they had a safe, friendly staffed, well-located, nice and clean hotel with well-appointed rooms (all Juliana rooms have balconys) and ensuite full bathroom with shower. (Wi-Fi, A/C, TV and small fridge were included in their room.) My choice was correct as Faiza and Khera loved their stay at the Juliana.

My interactions with the owner, Hany, were excellent even though I conducted them by phone and email from NYC (yes, he speaks English). I even extended the girl's stay at the Juliana for a week as they were having so much fun in Cairo. Hany and his associates Karim and Tamer were very helpful and nice to them and I am very pleased about that.

Keep in mind that the Juliana is not on street level, as I found many hotels tend to be in Cairo, but located above the Arab-African Bank in the very nice Garden District. Also, though you may find it referred to as a "hostel" it is not a "youth hostel"--I notice that they tend to call many regular hotels in Cairo "hostels."

If you book the Juliana for your Cairo visit I think you'll be very happy with your choice!

Room Tip: I believe some rooms have hallway, as opposed to ensuite, showers.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2011

This hotel is in the center of old Cairo. It is close to the American and Canadian Embassies as well as the Cario Museum. Although it was dificult for our taxi driver from the hotel to find it, and although if you look at the building from the outside you have your cualms you are happily surprised at the accomodations the customer service, the friendliness with which they treat you here. We were suppose to be picked up at the airport but because we were travelling standby we had no real time of arrival so that is why they weren't able to pick us up. But that is okay they were really nice. They arranged our sightseeeing they gave us amazing tips on what to do and what not to. They had provided us with the most amazing guide that up to date we keep in contact with his name is yusef. They made it a very good experience. This is a not a 4 or 5 star hotel but for the price believe me when I tell you it is worth it, specially if you are looking for a safe, clean place. We were totally satisfied and personally we would recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We booked this Hotel directly, on the internet and accepted the offer of a free airport pickup. The date we arrived in Cairo was the 11th of July. This all went went according to plan, until the car sudenly stopped in Tal'at Harb Street, Down Town and we were told to get out of the car and that the Juliana was closed due to plumbing problems, [our room was flooded] we were being transferred to a hotel of similar standards, in the buiding we were standing outside. This was a very poor neighbourhood, the hotel which was filthy, I have described it in detail. [See my review for Rotunda Palace Hotel]. We stayed one night and moved on to a better hotel the next day. I just question the validity of the previous review as they said they stayed in the Juliana July 2011. My husband went around to the Juliana four days later on the 15thof July, the door was padlocked a notice said the hotel was closed until further notice. A passing local man said it had been closed for months. So it would seem that we were lied to, the plumbing problem has not something that had just happened. It would have been helpful if Hany the manager had been up front with us when we met his driver at the airport, we then could have made decisions our selves as to where we wanted to be taken to.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank speckle
Alexandria, Egypt
Reviewed July 12, 2011

For a three-star hotel, Juliana exceeded any of my expectations. If anything, the professional yet still personalized treatment I received can not even be matched by any modern five-star hotel elsewhere.

Not only did they keep their word to help us around the city during these hard times, they've also made sure to escort us whenever we needed any directions or guidance, of course via their transportation (and in the event they are not able to transport you, all fares and expenses are on them).

What I loved the most was the sincerity of the staff, and the simplicity of all services and designs of the place. Mr. Ahmed, who was staff manager in charge at the time, was a delight to speak with.

I recommend this place to anyone who's looking for a very economic choice in the region, particular during these testing times. I guarantee you'll get from Juliana Hotel at least 150-200% the value you'd usually expect for your money anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Quicksolver
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Would definately use again. Friendly chatty staff. 24 hour reception. Staff were very knowledgable of Cairo and colul arrange to get anything you needed.
Very cheap and clean. good aircon a must.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business