“A top base camp to explore Cairo and to tour Egypt”
Review of Sun Hotel

Sun Hotel
and 1 more site!
Sun Hotel
Ranked #39 of 130 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Reviewed February 14, 2010

I was first time in Egypt and reserve at Sun Hotel through Internet - and I travell with very tight budget. So I was ready for some difficulties. Being at Sun turns to be a perfect experience. Sun offers really more than that was told : Dormitory is large, with large single bed, so we benefit from friendly sharing a well designed space, without being exhausted with lack of privacy. Rooms are also of correct size. If bathroom equipments are clearly tired, everything is absolutely clean, and hot water actually available 24/24. A special mention to the perfect floor, wich helps a lot feeling comfortable everywher in the premises.
The location is just perfect, at immediate proximity of the Museum, of the Nile, of metro station, a very good starting point to explore Cairo. And, last but not least, the person in charge of proposing tours through Egypt (Hosam Ramy) is outstandingly able to understand and cope with the very various expectations each one may have with regards visiting the country. As for me, he solves brightly the challenge I was trapped in : litlle money, no large time, and an immense appetite to see a maximum of the various sides of hight Egypt. Ramy built a program combining great locations visits : Aswan, Abu Simbel (wonderful), Edfu temple, Luxor east bank (Luxor temple, Karnak temple) and west bank (extraordinary King's valley, Hatchpsout temple, Queen's valley, Menon Koloss) with moment of pure leisure, sailing Nile with traditionnal felucca, walking egyptians market... I come back full of images and feelings...
I warmly recommand to rely on this so convenient 'camp de base' while discovering Cairo and Egypt. Sarah

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank sarah-claude

Reviewed February 10, 2010

I stayed at the Sun Hotel for over a month. It was excellent--no fuss, cheap laundry, good breakfast, and good internet, excellent, safe, and centrally located.

Hosam Ramy also offers great tours to various attractions, which is nice when hustlers are perpetually trying to rip you off.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Goingtogaza
Reviewed February 1, 2010

The hotel locates in front of the Sadat Metro station and near the world famous fastfood restaurants like KFC. The clerks are friendly and the breakfast - 2 breads, a cheese and jam in the small packages and a cup of tea is included. It's quite a good place to stay.
However, you might need to watch out for missing laundries. I asked them to wash my clothes twice and both time something was missing. First time was a pair of socks, and the second time was a T-shirt. They will ask one clothes for 1 Egyptian pound, so if you ask them to wash 9 items, it will cost 9 pounds. The clerk seem to keep track on the laundries on a notebook but they might do it after washing the clothes because they do not count it when the guest turned the clothes to them. First time my pair of socks was gone, I thought that might be not real problem because that was just a pair of socks and could be mistaken with others even though the bland logo on them. However, missing only one gray T-shirt is something ridicules to happen. I only have one gray T-shirt and there is no way it is missing from my room after I asked to wash all my T-shirts except one. If you stay in Sun Hotel, you better not ask them to wash your laundries or you might lose something even though you pay for washing them.
The hotel might say there is WIFI, but it is not working from the room. You have to use your laptop in either dining or sitting area. WIFI was not working for few weeks during January and I had to go to the Internet cafe to use my laptop.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank WonderingTourist
Reviewed January 4, 2010

My friend and I came to Cairo not knowing anyone, and did not know who to trust with all the touts trying to hustle you.

We decided to stay at the Sun hotel because of the great reviews we read online, and they were right.

Its a great place to stay and meet fellow backpackers. The place is pretty basic but clean, price is very cheap and the staff is extremely friendly. It is also located centrally in downtown Cairo close to a lot of good restaurants, Egyptian Museum and Khan-El-Khalili.

The manager Hosam Ramy is a real guy. He is very friendly and honest. He planned our entire trip from Cairo to Baharia to Luxor to Aswan and Dahab. We decided to cancel the trip to Alexandria at the last moment, he was kind enough to give us a refund. We verified his rates with other people and in most cases we paid less or same as them.

Overall I have nothing but good things to say about Sun Hotel and Mr.Ramy. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. I especially recommend the Nile cruise and the western desert tour. Thanks to Hosam Ramy and his staff we had a great time in Egypt!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Pankaj S
Reviewed October 30, 2009

My first time staying in a hostel and the Sun does not dissapoint, people there are very helpful, Hosam Ramy, the tour director helped me and my friends out a ton. He helped us with traveling to Cairo and when my friends had five days to kill he helped us get to Luxor and back for a very cheap price, almost all expenses included. The location of the Hostel is awesome as well, a five minute walk to the Egyptian museum and it is in the center of the city. My friends and I wanted to make sure to find a safe, secure, and inexpensive place with good people and the Sun Hotel fits all those categories.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Snitzengruben
Reviewed September 5, 2009

The trip was very good, I saw all I wanted of upper Egypt for a very reasonable price. The package included two nights of hotel stay and two nights on a very nice felucca ride on the Nile with full board. Train tickets are included in the price, and transport to Abu Simble, Philae Temple, the high dam, Luxor Temple, Karnak Temple, and the Valley of Kings and Queens, as well as Edfu and Kom Ombo. The only things not included are drinks and entrance fees to the sights. The group you are in is rather small, about ten people or so- which is nice.

Good value for all you see. Tour organized by Hosam Ramy in the Sun Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank WanderingSol
Reviewed August 24, 2009

The staff is overwhelming friendly and interesting. I always felt that my needs were met and exceeded. I had interesting conversations with all the staff (because of their English, not my Arabic, which is non-existant). The hostel is cleaned regularly and is very secure in general (you can leave valuable items with the staff/behind the desk if you are in a dorm room, like I left my laptop). It's right in downtown, so it's convenient to get food or to walk along the Nile. Overall, a very comfortable and easy place to stay on my first trip to Cairo, and I will certainly return when I am in the area again. Also, they have almost more rooms than any other budget hotel in the area, so you're practically guaranteed a room, with or without reservations. It's the best deal for your money in terms of budget hostels/hotels.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo