“Nice, Clean, fun and helpfull staff... but be carefull with your reservations”

and 1 more site!
Wake UP Cairo Hostel
Ranked #13 of 126 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Argentina
“Nice, Clean, fun and helpfull staff... but be carefull with your reservations”
Reviewed July 29, 2009

I went to Cairo by the beginning of July 09. I made my reservations in Wake Up Cairo as I saw they got good reviews.
The staff is very nice and helpfull and always making jokes, although they always try to sell you very expensive tours... (but this is the same everywhere I think)
The Hotel is very clean with 2 batrooms with hot water. A nice breakfast is included in the price. WiFi is not very expensive also.
The location is very good also, very close to the museum, downtown, subway, etc.

The cons: I asked to stay there 4 nights.. but the 2nd night I was asked to leave the hotel as they were full!!!
The problem was that their reservation "system" is a piece of paper, and when I called they misunderstood me and wrote only 2 nights... (I think the problem was that I was not staying the complete weekend)
They helped me finding another hostel.. but the "damage" was done.
I was not the only one having problems as I saw 2 guys being rejected even though they had their reservations.
Also, check your bill at the end of your stay.. they like to make round numbers.. always up!

Anyway, is a nice hostel and I can recommend it

Matias

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 3, 2009

well we stayed here for about 5 days.
We were rather worried about the place when we walked inside to the lift, however we were pleasantly surprised with the welcome we received.
The guys were a great help to 1st time travellers, let alone Egypt.
They organised our tour of the Pyramids and the transport.
Organised our meal and night out on the Nile. But didn't have anything to do with the belly dancer, who chewed gum all through her dance or what ever she called it.
We also learned a lot from here about the rest of our Middle East Trip.
Thanks so much guys and I'm just sorry that you weren't as good at Back-gammon as you thought you were

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We stayed two nights here in June and couldn't fault the place. The rooms are clean, the location is fairly good and the staff are great- they will help you find anywhere you need and recommend places to eat, things to see/do, etc.

The breakfast is a good start to the day and follow their recommendation to get the local favourite food Koshary - it costs only LE5 for a medium pot (enough for two to share as a snack) and it is delicious!

The only thing to be a little wary of is the fact that they charge a lot extra for products/services, but I guess they need to make their money somewhere- ie drinks cost half the price if you go to the little shop just down the street that you can see out of the common room window. Also they charge LE 250 for 1 day taxi hire and we got it for LE 150 by stopping a taxi driver outside.

One side note is that while we were there the rules on student entry prices for some attractions changed - ISIC cards are no longer accepted at the pyramids or Egyptian museum- you have to have a picture student card from your actual college/university- I couldn't get student rate with my ISIC card :o(

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple