“No free WIFI though”

Ranked #12 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Honolulu, Hawaii
“No free WIFI though”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

It's Ramadan and high 90's in temperature so the air conditioning was appreciated. The breakfast includes an hard boiled egg and the elevator worked to get to the seventh floor. You can see the Egyptian Museum and the Nile River from this level. The night manager and guests would talk past bedtime if you were a light sleeper next to the reception and lounge. It was a thrill ride to get to and from the airport with their expert driver. The best was they do response to e-mail with an immediate reply for I came back and forth three times to Cairo during my five weeks in the Middle East.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed July 22, 2012

At the time of writing this review I am still staying in WUC. Today is my 21st day of stay at this hostel. The location of this hostel is just perfect with Talaat Harb st, Tahrir Sq and the Nile within walking distance. Although the building where the hostel is housed doesn't look that pretty, the inside of the hostel is a different world; clean and comfortable.
The owners the hostel are very kind persons and will help you with whatever is needed. Same goes true for the staff as well esp Mai, Nancy, Ines and Wella (I hope I wrote her name correctly).
I had a great time staying here for the last 3 weeks and being witness to numerous backgammon and PES2000 games was fun to the max, as was talking to Hassan on numerous issues concerning Egypt till 2-3am.
I would not hesitate recommending this place (or the Freedom Hostel, which is owned by the same people) if you are looking for something moderately priced with a good location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ayanm21
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This place is right in the heart of Cairo. Right near the museum. Within walking distance of the Nile. The main area has great views. I will say, the building looks like hell, the lobby of the building looks even worse, and the elevator is one of the worst I have been in. But, once inside one of the two floors the hostel is on, its fine. Great showers. Clean. Super friendly employees. We used them to book a 9 day tour of Egypt, the rates were great. We used their driver for the tours, our guide was great.
The only drawback is that most of the employees smoke and they do it inside, so, kind of stinks. There was Wifi and it worked half the time we were there. For the price, great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emerick01
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2012

it was a very warm welcome after being away for few years in UK.
it was a very good hostel the best so far i've ever been in their recommendations to get easily food and somewhere to chill out was the best for me Nevertheless the good service and awesome staff gave me the warmness of being in home , cheers guys :)

Room Tip: i do recommend room 101 for it's awesome view towards the saladin Castle
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mahmoud92
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I loved staying at Wake Up! Cairo. Before going, we read some of the reviews about poor service but we didn't experience anything like that at all. Upon arrival, we received tea and grapes. Then, my friend and I were actually shocked at how clean the rooms were especially because the state of the rest of the building outside of the hotel was quite disgusting (old and very dirty). They clean the rooms well and often. This place is literally across from the Egyptian museum and close to great local restaurants and other busy streets (which have stores that seem to stay open until all hours of the evening).

The staff were extremely helpful 24/7. They organized all of our excursions. I've read other reviews that said they could have found something cheaper elsewhere...maybe so but by booking through the hotel, we didn't have to waste time in the city haggling and if anything went wrong, we knew straight who to complain to. However, every excursion was excellent so that was never a problem. Our guides were knowledgeable and friendly. My friend and I had a great time spending the days with them whether it was for our trip around Cairo, Alexandria or at the pyramids. Lastly, they also organized a Nile Cruise for me completely tailored to my needs. I needed to get to Hurghada after Luxor and they arranged the entire thing (travelers usually make their way back to Cairo). The minimum night stay for the boat cruise is 3 nights and they managed to get me one for only 2. When I mentioned this to other travelers I met, they were surprised, and impressed. If I'm ever in Cairo again, I will certainly stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yesdnyl
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Clean rooms, helpful staff available 24/7 (especially the driver, Mohamed), hot showers, great views and a good location in central Cairo. That last one is the only problem, really: Cairo is a filthy, ugly city, and the hostel can't get away from that (however clean it is inside). The tower it is located in is dirty and dilapidated, and the lift is rickety and a little scary.

But overall I give a strong recommendation, mainly on account of how good the staff are. The only reason why I haven't given a perfect 5/5 rating is because of the unpleasant surrounding area, which is not their fault, obviously.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London
Reviewed April 26, 2012

...be sure to stay in the super friendly and convenient Wake Up! Cairo. With great views, friendly staff and super convenient location - this hostel has everything you need, including airport pickup, great travel advice and assistance, breakfast included - nothing is a problem :)

Room Tip: Our room was a twin with ensuite and river views. Very nice.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple