“Good Quality Hostel!”

Wake UP Cairo Hostel
Ranked #7 of 130 Specialty Lodging in Cairo
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed here during July 2011.

Safe, comfortable hotel with lots of staff about ready to answer your questions.

Good rooms, clean shared bathrooms.

Slight issue is the hotel is located in a slightly shabby office block, from the entrance to the hotel onward it is an excellent hotel but loses a point due to the office block (lifts work but some missing buttons).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jack L

Reviewed July 20, 2011

My friend and I stayed here for a few nights and loved it. The location is perfect! You can easily walk to the museum and the shopping street, Teleet Herb Street comes alive in the evenings. Be sure to go to el Abd for ice cream and sweets! Head to Marof Street and have kosheri (a favorite local dish) at Al Tarek. The owners, Hassan, Peter, and Shehab were very accommodating. They arranged daily sight-seeing trips (to the pyramids, Alexandria, and city sights), flights, trains and even a river cruise. The drivers and guides we had, Mohammed and Sheriff, were extremely knowledgeable and friendly.
Just some tips about the excursions…skip the dinner cruise. The food was terrible and the entertainment didn’t make it worth the money.

When you are planning your trip to the pyramids, you are given a choice of which ones you would like to see. We went to all three and thought our time was well spent. We opted to take the camels at the Great Pyramid, which our driver (Mohammed) organized through the “government sanctioned” camel/horse stable called Di Stables. They will try to sell you the long tour, but take the short one as it is quite long enough. You are also expected to tip the camel guide and his assistant (a little local child). We each tipped LE20 and it didn’t seem to be enough. We were later told LE50 was more appropriate, but you don’t have to tip at all.

We found the city tour interesting, but be warned, it’s all religious sites. So if that’s not your thing, best to skip it. Our tour ended at the Egyptian Museum, which is chock-full of artifacts. We could have easily spent the entire day in the museum!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sagapo02
Reviewed April 24, 2011

If you are looking for a very clean, homely rooms at the right price then this is definitely a great contender. It is conveniently located 2 minutes walk away from the museum and 4 minutes from Tahrir square. The staff are certainly very friendly and can speak good English. The individual rooms are very well kept especially for the price and use of the kitchen and fridge freezer is a good bonus. Although there is a charge for the wifi it is very fast and there are not normally queues for the computers, and the common room they are situated in is a great place to spend your evening relaxing with a beer. Although the entrance to the tower block gives a bad first impression and the lift can be a tad touch and go (although very fast when it is working...) the actual hostel is superb. The toilet and bathroom is one of the cleanest and newest I've stayed in at this price level and wouldn't be out of place in a hotel three times the room rent. The staff never pressure you to take tours arranged by them but will always give reliable information and the Giza tour was certainly worth the money. Overall an excellent week and if I return to Cairo i'll certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank D_Hurley92
Reviewed February 19, 2011

If you are a traveler looking for the "elusive unicorn" of hostels: both clean and cheap, Wake Up Cairo is the place. This place is fairly new and is run by a great group of Egyptians. It is located right next to Tahrir Square and has access to everywhere you need to go in Cairo. The staff is very friendly, helpful, and fun to talk with. This is not a very big hostel (consists of two floors) in a large tower and can be hard to find if you don't know where you are going. Make sure you right down the correct phone number from the website before leaving the airport). What I really liked about this place is of course the price (about $7 for a nice dorm bed) and the intimate feel as sum hostels make you feel as if you are residing in a mental institution. Haidy, who works the front desk, is great to talk with if you get the chance. What was the cherry on top for me regarding this place was that when I checked out I had left my passport and money under my bed and the cleaning ladies turned it in to the front desk and I then was saved of what would have been quite the dilemma. Only thing that could perhaps be seen as a negative is that there are a lot if stairs to climb if the elevator is not working. Good way to work off filling Egyptian food however!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank BohemVaga
Reviewed January 20, 2011

If you are thinking of budget travelling and finding a place to stay in Cairo, Egypt, I highly recommend "Wake Up Cairo Hostel". The location is great! It's central, right by the Cairo Museum on antiquities. The hostel has 2 floors in a highrise building. It has amazing views. Most importantly, it is clean and has awesome staff. They are very friendly and the hostel is VERY clean. Also, you can actually have a 'hot' shower!!! Wi-fi is available for a very small cost.
One of the owners Hasaan Elsisy is also an Egyptologist and a great tour guide/agent. He is very quick to respond to any complaints that one might have and comes up with a solution. I organized my 17 day trip to Egypt with him (from Chicago, IL, USA). I wish he had organized for me to stay at his hostel. I stayed at a hotel in one of the suburbs of Cairo. Hasaan thought that I would not appreciate his hostel! Quite the contrary.

I wish I had spend the first 2 days at his hostel, instead of a hotel away from central Cairo. I did spend a couple of nights at Wake Up Cairo at the tail end of my trip. I got sick and I chose to return to Cairo, before I got back to the US. Mr. Elsisy took care of my requests. His staff are super friendly and will go out of their way to help residents. If you stay at Wake Up Cairo, it a block away from the fabled Abu Tarek , Koshari Restaurant (as featured in Anthony Bourdains TV show).

Thank you Hasaan for organizing a great tour through Egypt. I will recommend you and your staff to anyone planning a trip to Egypt.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank SupriyaSen
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Having travelled a great deal through Europe, our stay at this hostel was still one of the best experiences we have had in a hostel. All of the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, to a degree we had never experienced before.
Upon arrival we didn't really know what we wanted to see in Egypt, or what sites we absolutely had to see before leaving, and we had a very short time-just 4 days- to see everything we could. The hostel organized everything for us, from tours of all the pyramids surrounding Cairo, as well as taking the overnight train to Luxor, arranging a tour there, and then taking the overnight train back. Perhaps, if we had spent more time doing our research and exploration, we may have found a better price, but we really didnt know how, nor did we have time, so what the hostel was offered was perfect for us. We saw an incredible amount of stuff in a very short time due to the help we had from the hostel. Also, all of the employees seemed very trustworthy so i was able to feel safe in whatever situation they arranged for us. I was a little nervous about travelling in Egypt as a white american female, but the hostel really made me feel safe. Maybe they did rip us off, but I really felt like the level of service we were receiving was worth it.
The hostel is in a great location, just a few blocks from the metro, the Egyptian Museum and Downtown Cairo, and even though the building itself is a little bit sketchy, the hostel itself is clean and cozy, a wonderful retreat from the crazy streets of Cai

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank srhoads
Reviewed October 1, 2010

Stayed 2 nights at the hostel in September 2010. Found it to be very clean and safe. Rooms are all locked individually with a safe inside of it. The staff were extraordinarily helpful - recommended local restaurants (and even certain dishes). Helped us set up a tour of the pyramids, and recommended which pyramids to go inside (ie, it costs 100 pounds to go inside the Giza pyramids, and there is nothing on the walls inside of it. In contrast, there is no extra cost for going inside the pyramids at Dahshur and the walls are filled with beautiful hieroglyphics). We checked out on a Sunday morning but returned Sunday afternoon (after a day at the pyramids) to pick up our luggage and they staff allowed all 4 of us to shower before embarking on the next leg of our trip. Breakfast is simple but as expected. The outside of the building seems a bit rundown but inside is clean and welcoming. Would recommend it to others without reservation and would return again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends