New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Novotel Cairo El Borg

Novotel Cairo El Borg
Ranked #24 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
London, United Kingdom
“Average hotel, central but noisy location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Spent a couple of nights in this hotel and it was a very average experience. Rooms are your consistent Novotel standard, dinner is good and wifi is overpriced. Check in and check out could have been quicker. The price was reasonable but it's not somewhere I'd like to stay longer than 2 nights

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Cairo El Borg. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Abdellatif

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tustin, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed at this location during 3 nights. The location is super, near the metro station and within walking distance to restaurants and the famous Tahir Square. It has a relaxing top roof spa/café with views of the city on a clear day the Giza pyramids can be viewed. The staff is friendly the rooms are minimalist spacious with hardwood floors.

Room Tip: Upper rooms for the best city views I preferred river views toward the Cairo Museum and Tahir Square...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TustinCAtraveler
Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Novotel Cairo El Borg We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Cairo El Borg.

Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

The hotel met my expectations, it was good value for money. The hotel is located in a good location and near downtown area, it is very near to Tahrir square but it was safe and not dangerous. Everyone at hotel was nice and friendly, and quite helpful as well. Rooms are really clean and beds are comfortable. I think it is okay to stay here if you don't mind minimum hotel facility and services. The room service food was quite delicious, it was above average. Would not mind staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valuable Guest

Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

the rooms are clean and nice, but the staff there are not experienced. first time to call the reception without an answer!!
at the breakfast time, we went to the restaurant, it was completely empty!! the food was there except for the bakery things but no body to server. they told us that the bakery is made fresh and we spent more than 30 min waiting and they brought us some bad bread to eat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I enjoyed the wonderful sunset time on the hotel roof. With a very nice food quality and friendly staff with a speedy service despite the crowded place at sunset time in Ramdan(Iftar) .The weather in august was surprisingly refreshing to the extent that we didn't want to leave.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your Iftar at Novotel Cairo El Borg We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your visit at the Novotel Cairo El Borg.

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel met expectations as a typical Novotel property. Service all around was friendly and efficient. Included breakfast was very good, with large selection of food. Location is great - central to attractions without being too close to Tahrir Square, where demonstrations take place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank scubakjr
Dear Madame

Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I've been here before and was just here in June and its gone downhill.
I would stay here again- as long as the price remained below $60.
It's simply not worth more than that.

I have to be honest- its fine. There is nothing wrong with it, but its just got so much potential to be so excellent- and its not. It could be the new Cairo Hilton with its rooftop cafe bar and its nice pool garden. But its average.

The rooms are clean, and well appointed. Some others moaned about the noise I heard nothing. The cleaning crew are brilliant.

The receptionists were busy stressed and did their job reasonably. But I became rather irate at simple questions not being answered. This is unusual in a nation as friendly as Egypt.

The breakfast waiters showered attention on my wife when I was not around- and when I turned up I had to bark at them to get coffee. Unlike some people, I don't mind them being friendly to a pretty girl as long as they get my coffee too. Small point- I know, but Egypt is a nation of excellent service, customer service and friendlyness. (in spite of a few other shortcomings- That's why I like the place.). This place was not up to Egypts high standards.

The internet was HORRENDOUSLY expensive. So I used my vodaphone dongle. I suggest all travellers get dongles in every country they go to.

The hotel is also dry- as in no booze. You can take it to your room (if that's what you feel like doing) but you cannot have a beer on the roof terrace or by the pool. You used to be able to do so in the past, but they have gone dry. I did not drink at all in Cairo for health reasons.

BUT- In my opinion, this is absolutely incompatible with its Accor Status. The IBIS hotel in Dubai has an excellent well stocked bar, and thats a 2 star hotel.. If this was Saudi Arabia or Sudan, I would have no problem with the dry status, as that is prescribed by local law. But in Cairo? The cultural heart of the middle east, a secular nation? Very strange.

Again I would stay again as long as the prices are low. If they get anywhere near the $85 mark then I'll pay $100 and stay in a real hotel, or downgrade and stay in Midan Talaat Harb.

So all in all- A nice IBIS hotel. Maybe they should rebrand and lower the prices.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank turkbalikadam
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this review, February 19, 2014