“Value for money”

Novotel Cairo El Borg
Ranked #23 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Novotel ALBorg located in the heart of Cairo facing Gasr Elnil bridge and nearby downtown which where the real Egypt is. Overall the hotel is nice, comfortable and clean beside that it is very quite.
I enjoy service of this hotel several time and my experience time after time was good except one thing. The pickup service was really unprofessional it was my second time that I picked a booking without showing up and even excusing about that however the hotel deserve the money earned.

Room Tip: Nice room and comfortable for sleeping
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Mohammed A
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

First I would like to thank you for choosing Novotel Cairo El Borg

we very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Cairo El Borg.

The Travel Agency office informed about your pick-up feed back , please rest assured that they are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

A hotel with basic facilities, we had no problem with the place, just the policies and service.

It seems they're usually used to seedy type of clientele, so when we booked 3 rooms for our company staff they just created one problem after another. Men we'rent allowed into womens rooms except under escort of security personnel - strange as seeing as a company we sometimes had to go fetch something from another persons room. No guests were allowed in the rooms without exception, and we had some guests leave to get their IDs and come back to be able to enter the hotel.

Disgraceful. There is a law that states that Egyptian men and women cannot share rooms - it is unacceptable in my view but it is the law nonetheless - but when they do this to foreigners what they are implying is extremely rude.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Waseem T

Dear Guest

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations,please allow me to express my sincerest apologies

The hotel is applying the ministry of tourism and tourism police regulations regarding visits.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was a bit scetical when i booked because its price was low. but im so glad i chose it because the hotel was great.
- first, the staff were nice and friendly. i spoke to them a few time by phone prior to my arrival, so when i got there they remembered me and greeted me nicely.
- i had a city view room because its cheaper, but actually im not sorry for that because the view was amazing with nothing blocking your sight, and the Cairo tower is right in front of you.
- the room is spacious and clean, bathroom is nice and clean with very good lighting for make-up
- most importantly, the location is wonderful, walking distance from city center, and walking distance from Zamalek, the trendiest chic neighborhood in Cairo, close to all the restaurants and bars.
Next time i go to Cairo i will definitely stay in this hotel again, because honestly I've stayed in similar hotels, but double the price

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank AmiraAwad80

Dear Guest

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I chose this hotel due to the central location, good for meeting family and getting about. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful when we had queries. We had a room on the city side as thought it would be quieter, it wasn't. There were a couple of weddings behind the hotel while we were there, they went on til late.
I do find it strange in this day and age that there's no free wifi in the hotel but can't argue for the price we paid. If you're a uk traveller I'd say the room itself is of the same standard as a Premier Inn, the bathroom is better though.
All in all I would probably return.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MrsDKing

Dear Madame,Sir

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Hotel was nice , staff were pleasent but not over helpful helpful and this is one place that nobody took your bags to the rooms they could just point the way to the lifts but with that aside and the rooms clean and comfortable with either city or nile views

there is a tavel desk in the lobby and the price they charged us to go to the pryamids and museum was reasonable the driver was great and looked after us

About 30-40 minute drive from the airport in busy traffic , About 30 min drive to the pryamids well worth seeing , the Museum is 5 min drive away ,

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank denbrooks1

Dear Madame, Sir

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Cairo El Borg. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Regards hotel himself. It's just a Novotel.
Breakfast OK.
Room with Nil view : It's always nice to see the Nil, unfortunately noisy.
Location : in Zemelek area. Far by walked for nice place to eat. Just a bar very close which is nice.
Now the only issue, the hotel is close to problems in Cairo. The main entrance of the hotel is closed. They want to be as discret as possible especially at night time. Limited light in the main entrance.
Internet : Even in the lobby it's not free. 15 euros for 24h. Ridiculous. Stop thinking travelers as a pigeon.

If you're a card holder as I am do not expect any kind of recognition or advantage. They don't care.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Olivier S
NovotelCairo, Manager at Novotel Cairo El Borg, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Reviewed January 8, 2013

The isolated location of this Novotel is both a blessing and a curse. It is situated near the south-most point of Zamalek Island, so winds from the Nile will clear away the smog and smell of Cairo. It's reasonably quiet here as well, with a 5 minute walk to the Opera House subway station.

That said, there's nothing to eat nearby with the exception of the hotel restaurant. You'll have to walk 20 minutes north to find anything to eat, although those are some of the finest restaurants in Cairo (including La Bodega and Abou El Sid). You're also a subway stop or two away from downtown Cairo, so in that sense it's really convenient, though for a brand new tourist it might be an adventure all on its own.

Given the lack of local food, the restaurant breakfast buffet is critical. However, the wait staff are slow and inattentive. They tend to keep to themselves and chat with each other. The buffet is rarely refilled, so wake up early or be resolved to eat just the bread and pastries. You'll have to ask for hot water for tea / instant coffee -- it's not offered when you sit down and takes around 5 minutes to show. There's no omelette station and only 6 or so hot entrees. All-in-all, it's disappointing.

Reception is quite the opposite, they're attentive and can help orient you in the busy city of Cairo. Unfortunately, many helpful tasks like airport pickup/drop-off are taken care of by the tour operator that operates inside the Novotel... these guys are true tour operators, so the prices are at least twice the going rate and they'll lie to your face to explain their pricing. It's disappointing that you'll have to be on-guard even inside the hotel.

The rooms are nice, with modern furnishings such as low beds. Rooms may have had smokers in them previously and the smoke will have made things look significantly older. Avoid the city-side rooms or bring earplugs, the Novotel overlooks a market and a wedding hall and they are really loud. Honking from the wedding cars will go on past 2 or 3 am. Standard rooms don't have a bath tub either, just an older shower stall.

Finally, not a knock against the hotel, but the Novotel Cairo El Borg is best referred as Novotel Nile. The locals may mishear El Borg as Airport (seriously). Don't refer to Zamalek Island either, for some reason that just confuses them.

Room Tip: Pay extra for Nile side, the City-View overlooks a wedding hall and is very, very loud at night.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple