“Very nice stay”

Ranked #15 of 137 Hotels in Cairo
fairfax, va
“Very nice stay”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed three nights total on both ends of our trip to Egypt and were pleased with our choice of the Fairmont Heliopolis. It is conveniently close to the airport, and they provide a free shuttle that will take you to the airport for a departing flight. The service was excellent, and the room was very nice. They were very accommodating in allowing us to check in as early as 11:00 am on one of our arrival days. Very nice pool area. The hotel is part of a larger complex that includes the Fairmont Towers. The two hotels are connected by a large lobby with attractive public areas (gorgeous flower arrangements!), a couple of bars, and multiple restaurants. The only disappointment was that there are not a lot of breakfast options and the buffet, though extensive, was not worth the ridiculously high price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontTowers, Manager at Fairmont Heliopolis, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
On behalf of Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers, I would like to thank you very much for your above kind review. We are so glad to know that you’ve enjoyed your stay and that you liked our rooms and quality of service. Regarding your concern about the breakfast buffet, kindly note that your comment has been taken into consideration by the hotel management who always aim to refine services. We hope to welcome you back very soon at Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers.

Stay connected with us via our Facebook Fan Page: Fairmont Heliopolis & towers, Cairo & Twitter @fheliopolis!

Manager Internet Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hotel complex, beautifully maintained. I was well looked after, from the check in staff, to Concierge, to the driver allocated to me for the day. Great experience and I will be back. The only drawback is that smoking is permitted everywhere, fully taken advantage of by those that do, so tough luck if you're adverse to tobacco smoke! This would be a 5-star rating but for that.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are so pleased to learn that you’ve enjoyed your stay at Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers and that you liked our complex and quality of service. Regarding your concern about the smoke in the lobby, kindly note that your comment has been taken into consideration by the hotel management. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that have happened. On behalf of Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers staff, we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Manager Internet Marketing
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Large hotel and property. It is part of a big complex, so the variety of restaurants and places to go is quite good. The hotel has a fancy feel to it because there are many people walking around in suits and well dressed.

The room was very spacious and well appointed. But a big concern was that 2 of swimming pools were under construction at the time and so we could not use them. The third pool was right next to the construction sight so you could either hear all the noise from the site or (as my friend experienced), have the men working there wolf whistle at you. As our group were only staying there for one night on the way home and were planning on using those days for relaxing, it was disappointing to not have been given any notice about the pool construction. Considering the circumstance, our group decided to cosy up into one room and watch movies, but found the lack of English movie channels also disappointing (4 channels out of about 300+).

My biggest concern with this hotel is the staff - very poor service!
It was okay when we checked in. But from then on in, you could not find someone who actually wanted to help you, not even the duty manager. Instead we found the concierge would laugh at our simple request to make a phone call, and then when we finally did get onto the call we needed, the staff member decided he would hang up without asking us.
The staff in the breakfast area were not any better -hounding you for your room number, etc.

Considering the effort we had to go to make get any service, I would be suggesting to my friends to see what other hotel choices are available.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank the_ange23
Alexandria
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

First the location is close to the airport which is a plus.
I arrived to attend a conference checked in in no time as soon as i arrived.
The room is average, but i was assigned to a smoking room without asking me which is not a professional thing to do.
I added an extra night and i suppose the operating system is a retro as i didnt find my room on the breakfast list they didnt tell me i just found a bill to pay on my breakfast table, what an appetite i had after all this happening around me. I explained to them that i booked on bed and breakfast basis and they apologized but i was not satisfied with the attitude they need to put a smile and respect their customers more, although there is wonderful people at the resturant with a shining smile really.
This hotel is over rated not deserving to be a Fairmont really.
I wont book it for personal lesiure i wuld only visit again for bussiness meetings if i have to attend.
I hope they will work on it. Thank you Fairmont.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank AhmedBlasi
Australia
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is close to airport.. That's about as good as it gets. Second time staying here and still a disappointing experience. Rooms very small and quite old. Had a wedding party outside in garden area which meant I heard loud drums for 15 min at 1030pm on a Sunday night. No warning prior to this at check in. Hotel over charged for my room service burger which tasted worse than KFC! Later fixed when I complained. As a presidents club member would expect lot better. Will not stay here again.

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank lafa08
Chelsea, Alabama
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This beautiful hotel is only a 10-15 drive to Cairo airport so fantastic location if you have a morning flight.
Upon arriving at about 11 am we were immediately given access to our rooms. We had an adjoining room with our adult daughter. Our room only had a shower (quite expansive) but the daughters had a large tub which I utilized to soothe my aching bones after days of touring. Beds were very comfortable. Our room had a king size bed and the daughters 2 full size. Top notch cleanliness and nice toiletries as well as in room coffee and tea. We were advised by our tour guide, who is VERY picky about hygiene, that the ice in the hotel was fine to use.
We had lunch in the Leonardo restaurant which was pretty authentic Italian. The hotel has 6 or 7 restaurants with different cuisines. Breakfast opened promptly at 6, which was fortunate as we had to leave the hotel at 6:30 for a 9:30 international flight.
After lunch we visited the Citadel and Mohamed Aly Mosque so we were tired and ordered room service which was delivered promptly and was also very good.
Enjoyed walking around the lobby area...gorgeous.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FairmontTowers, Manager at Fairmont Heliopolis, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
On behalf of Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers, I would like to thank you for your above kind words. We are delighted to learn that you’ve enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and that you’ve found our rooms very clean and bed very comfortable. We are also so glad to know that you’ve had a fine dinning experience at Leonardo our Italian restaurant and that you’ve enjoyed our 16 diverse cuisines.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back very soon at Fairmont Heliopolis & Towers.

Warm Regards.
Internet Marketing Manager
London
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Being part of the famous Fairmont group I had high expectation about the Fairmont Heliopolis in Cairo. However they were completely shattered at check in where I was told in spite of arriving at 8:30 pm my room was not ready! I was reassured that they did have my booking as to make me feel pleased that at least I had that. I was not and neither was a colleague of mine. After some arguments, voila they did have two rooms ready. The room was ok but looked tired and in need of a renovation but the bathroom was nice. The room was facing away from the busy road in front of the hotel which I though was good, but here I was very wrong! At the back of the building they have a conference room called Jasmine which they use for weddings. I was on the 6th floor but the thumbing music could still be heard and I am sure all rooms facing this conference room can too! I was very tired so did not want to change rooms and used my earplugs. I did wake up at around 4am and the music was still going strong then. The next two days the exhibition I was participating in was held in the Jasmine conference room so no weddings then. However the noise came back with a vengeance the day we vacated the room. This time I had enough I mean who do the hotel owners think they are charging a lot of money, calling themselves a 5 star hotel when you they cannot even do the basics of a hotel i.e. give their guests a good night sleep!!!! I have noticed that some other guest had complaint about this on Tripadvisor in the past. Back then the weddings were held around the pool so they have now simply moved them around the corner to the Jasmine conference room. I called to ask for the duty manager which was an effort in itself and took about 30 minutes but I later found that this was because the phone in my room was not working properly. He did say he would go and ask the wedding to turn down the music. I know he did do that as I could, from my room, see him going over to the conference room and back. The music went down in volume for about 10 minutes and went back to the same level as before. I now saw further complaints was fruitless so asked for a room change which I got and the time was now 1:30 am, and I had to get up early to visit the pyramids which is something I had looked forward to for a long time! When moving into my new room I understood that I had been upgraded as this room was half the size of the other and facing the busy road in front of the hotel. However my earplugs could drown out the road noise so I did manage to get some sleep.
One of the pool was closed but since it was not really pool weather I did not mind. The whole pool area looks quite tired too and in need of a facelift. Some nice cafés around the pool where you can get a beer and smoke sheesha but the staff are really slow and indifferent which can be said for most of the staff I encountered. An example of this is when I ordered a Chiken Tikka Masala from room service which came with no plate or spoon. I called room service to get this and neither they nor the member of staff who bought my plate (never did get a spoon) could understand why I was not happy to eat directly out of the serving bowls. I know this is small thing but the Fairmont is a five star hotel and part of the same chain as the Savoy hotel in London and in light of this it is big thing! Also the cleaning of the room was sporadic and twice they left dirty cleaning cloths behind.
The only reason I am not giving it a “terrible” rating is the lobby which is shared with the much plusher looking Fairmont Towers which is amazing and has a huge variety of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business