“Poor for a 5* hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
London
“Poor for a 5* hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

As mentioned by others, the hotel is fairly new, in fact, it isn't fully finished, but already in need of maintenance (particularly the stained and badly fitted carpets). The building is large and well furnished, with some beautiful light fittings.

The location is in the "middle of nowhere", there is nothing nearby to see or do. There are many half-finished buildings in the area and there is no lake at this time, but I have heard they are working on it. The landscaping within the immediate grounds is pleasant and there is a large out-door pool. the pool bar was not in use during our stay.

Staff are friendly, but many are too slow to respond. Some waiters do not understand nor speak English (which is surprising for an "international" hotel) the result of which means being served the wrong thing or not at all. And when it is wrong, there is a lengthy debate between staff before you get what you ordered (over half an hour when we were brought two glasses of wine - which we rejected - instead of a bottle, by which time we had finished our meals. I had to ask for water four times before it arrived and that took 20 minutes).

The bathroom was a lovely size and has modern fittings. But the water supply to our shower was dangerous. I was scalded twice because the temperature varied every few seconds from reasonably hot to extremely hot. I reported this, it took three calls and most of the day to get anyone to look at the problem. The engineer didn't speak English, so couldn't understand me. He brought in a colleague, I tried to explain again (by now the fifth time) that I had been scalded and that the water temperature fluctuates. The engineer turned on the water, looked surprised that it worked, laughed and walked away. I gave up and settled for luke warm to hot water for further showers.

There are two restaurants: a buffet (not very good quality or choice) and a Thai restaurant. There is a barbecue outside in the summer season. For me (a vegetarian/fish eater) the choice was poor. There is a shop selling pastries and cakes which are amazing!

There is a wired internet connection in the room (no wi-fi). There is wi-fi in the executive club lounge and I think in the lobby. But only one device can be connected at any one time per room. And, if you want to connect more than one device (including when using the wi-fi) you have to drop the first connection for at least 10 minutes before you can connect another device. I had an i-pad, an i-phone, and two computers (both of which I wanted to work over the internet with, not possible here). My husband had the same. So we shared one connection between 8 devices, very frustrating.

The room size is spacious and there is complimentary water (tap water is not suitable for drinking) and a very limited mini-bar, as well as tea and coffee making facilities. The bed was too firm for me, and the desk chair in the room is very uncomfortable to work from.

Room service was OK (about 30 minutes waiting time for soup and a sandwich) but you need to specify condiments if you want them.

For those who like the gym, there is a (very hot, due to the sun shining in during the afternoon) room with a carpeted floor which is currently housing some modern gym equipment. A downside is that you have to walk through reception and the bar to get to it.

Overall, this doesn't add up to a 5* experience. I definitely would not recommend staying here, unless you really have to be in this location for business. The J W Marriott or City Stars Intercontinental are better if you want to stay outside the centre, and there are numerous 5* hotels along the Nile in the centre (we had a reasonably good experience at the Sheraton a few years ago).

Room Tip: Ask for one that is pool facing, or one that has sun at some point during the day, if that is what y...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LondonJem

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Arabic first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

Upon arrival at the hotel, I was welcomed into a beautiful, huge, spacious lobby.
Although it was crowded, I was greeted and recognize right away by an Asian lady who offered me a refreshing welcome drink. She noticed that I was extremely tired from my travel and arriving from a very chaotic airport, so had offered me to escort directly to my room and did the check-in inside my room, absolutely impressive!!! A gesture that I have never experienced in any 5 star hotel that I have stayed in here in Egypt.
The bed was so inviting and the view from my balcony was to die for, especially at night! The lake view was very calming and tranquil. Room service was delicious and efficient! Breakfast was lavish and good selections.
The only part that disappointed me is when I bought some stuff that I will needing early morning. Oh my, the taxi driver that I got took me to a place that is an hour away from the hotel as there is nothing nearby. It was indeed a waste of time!!!
In overall, it did not cloud my overall impression of the hotel and besides the small snafus that I experienced I must say that my stay here was an overly sweet experience.

Room Tip: Ask for the lake view on the ground level if you would like to have a privacy and serene location.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ysabelleryan
Asyut, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

The hotel is 20-30 min from airport, in New Cairo "tagammo3" area, so if you business is there, then its a good choice. The rooms are very nice, modern and capacious, including a very nice bathroom/shower. Breakfast as also very good. The Gym is a few good machines with poor layout, thrown in a big hall at the end of the hotel.
The hotel is poorly designed, like a big maze... to reach the gym from the room you have to reach the reception, and similarity with garage, with long walks and lots of turns.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms, Surrounding area is not developed, so your viewing desert.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank HatOrth
Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

First the positive. The hotel is modern in a quiet and unpolluted part of Cairo. The rooms are spacious and very well appointed. The bathrooms are spacious and clean with many toiletries. The management is swift in handling any customer service issues.

Now the negative. The staff need better training on customer service, I had two incidents in one day. The first where room service forgot to bring my orange juice and when i called about it, instead of the expected apology and quick action i found the room service arguing why they didn't send the orange juice. The in-room dining manager quickly called me back and apologized the other guy's behavior and personally came to deliver two glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice. The second was when I complained to front desk that my room key has to be replaced everyday because it suddenly stops working, instead of promising to look into it the lady at reception started accusing me of not knowing to keep my card away from my phone. I actually was very careful keeping my card isolated all the time and felt upset that the lady spoke to me with that attitude and tone.

Room Tip: rooms start at elevator next to lobby and you may need to walk a considerable distance to your room...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TareqHaji
Cairo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

Overall impassion about my short stay at the hotel was good. But because of I am working at the hotel hospitality field, so some issues were somehow strange and were taken not that positive.. And it was mainly regarding the front desk. I didn’t feel welcoming. No greetings, no welcoming drink. They were confused about my payment which was already made since 2-3 days. I didn’t get any information about my meal plan or hotel’s facilities, but they asked about the way for paying extras.. Then the front desk representative said to follow him till the elevator, then I had to discover the way by myself. I had a backpack with me, but no one was offered me to help with it.. So from the luxury hotel I was expected somehow more attention to my side or more exclusivity.
Thanks God I found the room and thanks God that I’m working at the hotel, so it was easy to became familiar with the equipments & amenities at the room. The room was great: very spacious and comfortable. I liked so much the Tai greeting with my family name at the screen on TV. The room has everything for very comfortable stay (AC, tea/coffee facilities, free mineral water, bath-robs, hair-dryer, laundry service and etc..) I liked the idea of radio so much, but I discovered it by chance. I do advice to take your home-sleepers, because during my stay I was suffering with sleepers of Dusit hotel:) The cleanness at the room was not top: some hair at bath-tub, plug at wash basin was blocked, the aroma-lamp was empty (no oil, no candle, no matches), carpet was need to re-wash it again. The hotel directory had only 2 pages most of it was missed, and a small hint to change it or add the missed pages was not understandable. The bad was huge and I love it, but the mattress was not hard. Anyway.. I liked the room so much :)
The breakfast experience was enjoyable. Very smiling Tai girl as a hostess was very welcoming and helpful. The buffet was excellent: I don’t have even one small comment about the taste, variety or presentation. Waiters were fast and nice. I can’t said the same about the omelet cooker – he asked me to repeat several times the components for my omelet referring to the issue with loud music as background.
The hotel itself looks nice with a lot of decoration tips. But design with red-black colors was little heavy for me. There is a pool, but the weather issue was not so matching with sitting beside it or enjoy the swimming..
Again I had only few days to stay there and most of the time I was out, so maybe I didn’t discover more advantages of this hotel. Many people will consider my review as a negative one, but I have enjoyed my stay there and would like to come back.
P.S. Check out experience. The guy there didn’t have a change of money notes, so he left the desk for 1-2 minutes to find it among his colleagues.. Too strange.. .. And they give a small amount of money, as free prepayment (something small, but lovely :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Katy Y
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

I spent two nights there after my wedding. The overall experience is quite good, but I have few points to mark:
1. Due to pre-marriage preparations I had to call the hotel reservation desk several times in several weeks. Surprisingly, the first time i was told that there are free double rooms. 2nd time i called few days later and was told that there's only suites available. Next day I was told that there are no rooms nor suites available. Then by coincidence a friend told me that she had called them up the same week and there were plenty of rooms available. So I called them again and .. surprise surprise? plenty of rooms available!
2. Lunch and dinner are absolute pain. There's only this single restaurant there that has a menu of two pages only. We had to go out of the hotel (thankfully we had our private car) for lunch and dinner every day
3. I have to say this is one of the few hotels around that has a valee service :)
4. It's very very quiet there ... if you don't remove the curtains you cannot even tell how much time you spent in the room.

Room Tip: all rooms have view either on the lake or the pool. Both are quite nice.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shereen A
Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

We live in Cairo. We stayed at the Dusit Thani overnight after attending a ball held here. While the ballroom facility and set-up were great the overall hotel atmosphere was just okay. We had connecting rooms as our children stayed too. Both rooms were dusty and filled with mosquitoes. The room odor was musty. As a result, we did not feel like the rooms were clean. There were also no amenities (soap, shampoo, lotion, etc.). The pool area was nice and the breakfast buffet was too. The hotel advertises "lake view" and "spa" but there is no lake and the spa had been closed for several months when we were there. A lot of construction in a and around the hotel. The surrounding area is under development so not much is around.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family