“Djed Egypt Travel took us through this breathtaking landscape” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Western Desert

Ranked #353 of 744 things to do in Egypt
More attraction details
Fee: No
Owner description: This desert covers more than 600,000 square kilometers stretching from the Nile River to the Libyan border, and from the Mediterranean Sea coast to the Sudanese border.
D
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Djed Egypt Travel took us through this breathtaking landscape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We found Djed Egypt Travel to take us on a 6 days desert safari from Cairo to Luxor. Guide and drivers were enchanting. We enjoyed their attention and brilliant cooking. We found the camping nights on top the sand dunes and among the bizarre formations of the White Desert an unforgettable experience; no way to decide between the brilliant sunsets and sunrises. Weekly markets, breathtaking landscapes, deserted mud brick villages, a few temples and tombs, the studio of a local artist, and the very remote Roman fortress of Umm el Dabadib were among the highlights. Contact Djed Egypt Travel for your taylor made tour: info@nile-dahabiya.com. From Luxor to Aswan we have used one of their Dahabiyas sailing up the Nile; our perfect "deceleration"

Visited December 2013
6 Thank Michael S

Tamborine, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Camping in the White Desert in Egypt – A special experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We travelled to Egypt in April/May 2013. We were not put off by all the stories of safety issues. We made our booking direct with Select Egypt in Cairo and paid online. Our consultant was Sandy. She was great – very helpful & knowledgeable. I work in the Airline/Travel Industry so I had a good idea of the places we wanted to visit. I emailed Sandy and she put together a private tour for us. Our tour guide Ahmed (nickname ‘Mido’) was great. His English was perfect so we had no communication problems. All the vehicles were either new or only a couple of years old which is important when we were going to be travelling long distances and spending time in the Western Desert & Oases. The drivers were also good. We had Mohammed around Cairo & the Mediterranean Coast and & to Luxor & Mustafa in the Desert. We always felt safe with these guys behind the wheel.
One of the highlights of this trip was camping in the beautiful White Desert and the drive through the Agabat Valley - ‘the valley of wonders’. The scenery was spectacular & camping in the White Desert was pure magic – so tranquil. Mustafa (the driver) cooked a lovely dinner & later we had ‘Bedouin tea’ by the campfire. This was made even more special by the visit of the little Desert Foxes during the evening on the lookout for a free meal.
It is worth spending the extra time in Egypt so that you can visit the desert. Happy to also recommend ‘Select Egypt’. We were extremely pleased with all the travel arrangements.
Lastly we had no problems in Egypt and felt safe at all times. We also travelled by train back to Cairo from Luxor, used the Metro to get around in Cairo and at no time were there any safety problems. Everyone was very friendly & welcoming.

Visited May 2013
4 Thank Johnmaur26
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“White Desert is Fantastic!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We recently spent a night camped under the stars in the White Desert in Western Egypt, courtesy of Your Egypt Tours. It's an experience not to be missed. Amazing limestone formations carved by the wind. Walking between these towering monuments is a fantastic experience. The sunset was spectacular. When night fell small foxes came to the campfire hunting for leftover food. They were quite tame and completely harmless. Thanks Mamdouh (our guide) for suggesting a change to our itinerary to include what was one of the highlights of our trip to Egypt. We felt completely safe.. Your Egypt Tours they looked after us completely.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Maureen H
southampton
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Just go there”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Incredible scenery with opportunities to enjoy rustic and authentic hotels. Off road driving, swimming in oasis, visiting adobe villages etc are all available. The white desert is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank redharry
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“planning on going back, good guide, good driver necessary!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Obviously, for such a vast desert like this you need a good guide to trust. I'm so lucky I found one, because I just picked one from online without knowing anyone there. Even my friends in Cairo couldn't make recommendations, so I just went with my gut feelings on this and looked up reviews on tripadvisor (thanks! tripadvisor!). I found several about this guy Hamada, and I looked at his site, desert-safari-egypte.com, it looked legit, so I contacted him, and he replied very fast in a very professional way. His rates were a bit lower than other places I inquired, if you count in the private transfer back and forth from Cairo. I went ahead with it, and it was the best choice I made in a long time. I only got to see the white desert (well, the black one too and agabat nearer to Bahariya) and next time I plan on going with Hamada again to see different parts of this vast wonder. This guy was a truly a desert whiz, and the way he had everything prepared was pretty phenomenal. Sometimes he was even pushing me and the driver to hurry to get the best photo before sunset (which is my job to get them to hurry up. the roles got reversed sometimes because he was so on top of it, even more concerned about my work than myself). And the best part was that he was very well acquainted with the police and all the locals. I never felt unsafe at any point. He's also a really down-to-earth person, a downright nice guy.

When I go back I plan on seeing different parts of the Western Desert, any recommendations here would be great! Hamada told me he's done long long 21 day trips to Sudan borders, to see ancient inscriptions and explore the desert there. I don't think I can do that anytime soon but I would love to some day.

One thing I wish I had brought was a natural bug spray (or unnatural if you don't mind DEET). I didn't think there would be bugs in the desert, but one time when I was shooting a swarm of small flies came and bit me everywhere. That was crazy!

And I'm a coffee freak so I brought my own coffee (hamada had some instant coffee and powdered milk as well), and advil just in case. I didn't get sick or feel uncomfortable there, and hope it stays that way. You don't really have to worry about water, Hamada always had ice water and plenty of bottled water.

Visited October 2012