“Disappointing meal and service”

Gecko's Terrace Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #1,469 of 122,829 Restaurants in Seoul
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Itaewon
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The only good thing was the price. The set menu is good value although its a bit hit and miss regarding individual dishes. Service was poor and many of the courses not up to scratch. Sadly cannot recommend and won't be back

There are newer reviews for Gecko's Terrace Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I went there for brunch and had the omelette (huge and nice tasting for 11.5k). additionally we ordered pancakes (2 home made for 8k). service is okay. the decor rustically.
this is definitely one of the better non-korean breakfasts I enjoyed in Korea.

1  Thank 725Max
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Although we are not 'bar' folk, we like the friendly atmosphere and delicious fish-n-chips at the Jukjeon Geckos, and 'eat-out' there about once a month. It's also my husband's standing venue for his large birthday parties every year...now a tradition! Family-friendly as long as your children can't read or ask questions about the X-rated list of cocktail names, at least during the day. It may get more rowdy in the late evening. Staff are friendly, helpful, and mostly bilingual.

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

A great place to hang with friends, meet new people, and have some yum yums. :) Every time I come to Gecko's I end up having a great time.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Gecko's in my eyes seems a bit classier than the regular establishments one would frequent on a saturday night. It doesn't have that 'lets stay here all night' appeal whatsoever, so visiting Gecko's doesn't happen to be a regular occurrence.

Twice I've eaten at Geckos. Never will I eat at Gecko's again.

The first time I met up with 2 old friends. We picked a nice location where we could eat and catch up. When I got there, they had already been there a while and already eaten and paid for their food. As soon as I sat down, they were told that they needed to pay for the food they had just had. They said that they already had done that. I ordered my food and seeming a bit dubious here, requested to pay as I ate and drank. They brought my receipt and had charged me for the food i order, whatever drinks I'd had, and the food my friends had already paid for. Very unimpressed by this, I complained instantly to the waiter who knew exactly what he had done and corrected his mistake. Already the taste in my mouth was sour about this place. Later on, we were approached by the manager of the establishment demanding that my friends paid up for what they had already paid for. The attitude of the manager was bang out of order and highly unprofessional. As my friends has paid cash, they hadn't received a receipt. The manager was having none of this and lined up all of his staff and told my friends to identify which one they had paid... but unfortunately for them, that member of staff had already gone home. Why they didn't just check the records on the till is beyond me.
What happened next is even more stunning.
They asked us all one by one to go with the manager into the back room. Very sketchy.
The situation got to the point where the harassment forced us to leave for our own goods as the good people at Gecko's had made a grand effort to ruin our rendez vous.

Fast forward to last night when my other half and myself decided to go for a nice meal, and suggested Gecko's. As the last fiasco was almost a year ago, I decided to keep an open mind about this place and went along.

The first issue came with the waitress who had a silly random ponytail sticking out of the top of her head who adopted a rude tone when my girlfriend asked for her burger to be cooked medium to well done. She said "you can have it medium or well done only".

Secondly, when my food arrived which was the bangers and mash for a whopping 14,500 won, the first i noticed is that i had paid this much for the potatoes to be the sort that you mix with water. It was like wallpaper paste. The sausages were average and the gravy wasn't enough for an ant to bathe in.

Thirdly, and this is a common practice in Korea, is that rather than wait for both meals to be ready and bring them both at once, they bring one and then minutes (normally a long time after ) they will bring the other meal. My girlfriends cheeseburger still hadn't arrived after 40 minutes. So we complained. And when it did arrive it was the blandest thing.

I won't be going to Gecko's again for food, or to drink for that fact as there are other bars with a better ambience in the vicinity that serve a variety of the same and better beers for better prices. Do as I will and you'll be thankful.

2  Thank cfp19