“Best food I had in Seoul”

Samwon Garden Main Store
Ranked #550 of 123,158 Restaurants in Seoul
Price range: $36 - $1,435
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Apgujeong / Cheongdam
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I loved the meal I had here. You had lots of side courses, all were lovely. Obviously we had kimchi, but also great salads and other dishes. The highlight was the beef. They bring hot coals and cook the meat at your table. It is super tasty.

1  Thank tavia14999

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went here on the advice of a couple of seoul guidebooks that called it one of the best bbq places in seoul. The restaurant is beautiful, with traditional decor on the inside and a nice waterfall by the outside seating area. Service was great, and everyone was very polite and respectful. The server cooked all the meat for us on the grill. There were a lot of foreign business people eating here with Koreans, so it seems like this is the type of place that they take their clients. However, the food was very expensive, at least compared to korean bbq places in the states. The cheapest meat was 39,000 won per person for the marinated kalbi. We got the second cheapest meat, the non-marinated kalbi kkot-sal for 50,000 won per person. The meat was outstanding. It was well-marbled when they brought it out, and tender and juicy when cooked. But the quantity was so little for the price we paid. They gave us 3 small strips of meat, which wasn't nearly enough for a full meal. We ordered a dweng-jang jjigae in addition to the meat since it wasn't included, which was good too but still wasn't enough to fill us up. And we are definitely not big eaters. Overall, the food was very good, but over priced for what you get. By comparison, the kalbi at Parks BBQ in LA is maybe $35 per serving, and you get more food and the meat quality is just as good or better.

1  Thank edwkim
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Korean BBQ is famous globally for their marinated beef grill. However, most Koreans rarely eat marinated BBQ. LA Kalbi probably one of the best examples since they made the beef sweeter and very good marinade. You can even find LA kalbi on menu's in Korea now due to the great taste.

Samwon Garden is mainly known for their kalbi and marinaded beef. It is a large restaurant with a large outdoor area and is a non-smoking restaurant with a waterfall outside. Most Koreans use this for meeting westerners visiting Korea with the assumptions that foreigners are looking for marinated beef BBQ. And they do marinated beef BBQ well. All the rest of the menu I would pass on with the exception of the nang-myun, cold noodles to finish the meal.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have been to this Korean BBQ several times since I came to Korea. I absolutely loved it on my first visit. The beef rib was juicy, tender and tasty, far better than what I used to eat in Korean restaurants in Toronto, my home town. On my next visit, the service was extremely slow. Maybe because I did not know then how to say "pali pali (hurry)" in Korean. It took about 1 hour for the spicy beef soup to come out. On my third visit, things were OK again.

I would certainly recommend this place to first-time visitors to Korea, but you may need to ask them to hurry when things get slow.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

The food at this restaurant was very good, a bit pricey, but that is to be expected, it's family friendly with open seating to the main restaurant or private rooms that are intimate with tables and chairs.(instead of the floors) tip: ring the bell at your table to order otherwise you'll wait forever. The servers don't visit your tables too often, so you must call them over, it's not like the American dining service where they ask you over and over. It's a cultural thing so they won't be a bother to you.