“Great vegetarian, fixed menu, spicy, good value.”
Review of Sanchon

Sanchon
Ranked #250 of 122,829 Restaurants in Seoul
Cuisines: Korean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Insadong
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Definitely an experience, hard to find, use your mobile phone with google maps and gps. Excellent vegetarian food along with tea and rice wine. No choice, you get the full 20+ dishes for 59.400 won. You can order some drinks seperately. Most else has been said already. So if you want to enjoy a true buddhist temple night, go here. We enjoyed it and did not miss any meat. But careful, some dishes will look strange to you, please give it a try.

1  Thank Frank P
There are newer reviews for Sanchon

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Amazing spread of approximately 40-50 small tastes of vegetarian plates. Serene, tasteful dining room. Only issue was the service: repeatedly trying to clear our plates and cups before we were done, as in mid-bite with food still on the plate, or taking away full cups of soju. Not very Buddhist or enjoyable. What's the rush?!? Stil, worthwhile for the experience of tasting such a range of food.

2  Thank VoyageurK
Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

I took my wife to this restaurant on a Sunday. night at 9.20 pm but it had already closed so we went the next day at 6.30 pm. The welcome is rather cold. Staff cannot speak English. We went for the set menu at approx 60 USD per person and the ldood was produced very quickly. I cannot say that it was good. It was interesting and unsual.We chose the low table which are not really comfortable but traditional. The 20 dishes were produced quickly and we left at 8.00 pm. It is probably more buzzing on weekends and after 8 pm when the dance takes place. Overall an interesting experience but nothing tremendous.

1  Thank lcfb
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I had read so much about temple food in Seoul that I could not wait to get to this restaurant. I am not vegetarian myself, but my wife is, and is strict. I have eaten some very nice meals as a result of her bullying.

Sanchon is widely reviewed. One reviewer I had read beforehand reckoned it was one of the best vegetarian places he'd ever been. Well maybe the chef was having an off night.

The place has atmosphere. There,s a choice of low tables and floor cushions or tables with chairs. We opted for the authentic Korean experience. Or maybe the European pastiche. The place was quite busy. A handful of asian faces but mostly Caucasians. It was a fixed price menu @ 59400 Won a head.

We were presented with starters which really set the tone. Watery Plain Kimchi lived up to its name. I couldnt eat the porridge of the season. The rice wine was nice. As the table filled with tapas style plates of various things, all described in English on the menu we tried to eat them. In the end of the 20 dishes presented we each managed a potato, a mushroom, some seaweed, some lotus root fritters and a couple of beans. As the performances by artists began we took a few photographs, then siezed a lull to pay our bill and go. This was perhaps the lowest point of our trip to Korea, and I would most certainly urge all but the most out on a limb extremist vegan to find somewhere else to blow 100 USDollars on their dinner.

5  Thank DabsScotland
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The dishes from the set menu are all very tasty, although some of them may be too spicy for the uninitiated. The atmosphere is nice, and the staff is friendly. I had one of the best vegetarian meals in my life here, although the price is on the high side. The only problem I had was that the restaurant was hidden in a corner and very difficult to find.