“Great place, considering the price and the location”
Review of Anguk Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seoul
Anguk Guesthouse
Ranked #232 of 946 Seoul B&B and Inns
Rhineland-Palatinate
“Great place, considering the price and the location”
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Considering the price, you cannot beat this place with its fairly laid-back, friendly owner. It is downtown, it is fairly close to the subway, fairly close to some major sights and a few shops.

• Liked — its location
  • Disliked — the place did not provide breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Melbourne
Reviewed July 10, 2008

We had a wonderful stay at this quaint, homely guesthouse. The manager was extremely helpful. It was clean, comfortable and more than satisfied our expectations. There are also kitchen facilities for you to use.
We originally booked for 10 days, but then changed to 7 nights at the last minute. We were not charged for the extra 3 nights. We paid $70 a night, for three people.
It is close to the subway, Insudong Market and is within walking distance of many attractions.
We have stayed at many hotels over the years, so we have no hestitation in recommending anyone planning a visit to Seoul to stay at this guesthouse.

• Liked — Close to attractions, subway and markets
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Kaydeemelbourne
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 15, 2007

It could be such a great place to stay, but falls down badly in a few areas:

- like the first reviewer, when I arrived I found that the front door was locked, and so after finding someone who was able to contact the owner I was told someone would arrive in 30 minutes to let me in, which they did. They gave me the keys, showed me the bathroom and then disappeared.

- I too was promised a private bathroom, but instead had to use the shared bathroom off the communal kitchen - far from ideal, and not what I had been promised

- the owner would arrive from time to time and sit in the kitchen surfing the internet which made me feel awkward - it felt like I was disturbing him every time I wanted to go through the kitchen to get to my room or use the bathroom.

- the owner seemed to be unaware of the basic needs of guests, such as when one of the guests was up at 7am in the courtyard talking at the top of their voice (remember this is a traditional house with paper walls, so you can hear everything in the other rooms) rather than asking them to keep their voice down, the owner joined them in a very loud 2 hour conversation which kept me (& others) awake.

- there were lots of mosquitos and no spray was provided - the guest house really should have sprayed the room before handing me the keys. I got bitten lots of times the first night, so bought some spray the following day.

All that said, the house is beautiful & in a great location - it is just let down by poor, sloppy management. I spent a number of nights there which was just too long - had I spent just one night there for the 'traditional' experience maybe I would have let these things go, but it is not a place I would recommend for more than a night just to stay in a beautiful house. Oh, and bring ear plugs, because if you have someone in the next room snoring loudly (as I did) then they will keep you awake!!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The management
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank mapmanish

Travelers are raving about these Seoul hotels

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed May 19, 2007

My husband and I traveled to Seoul in May of 2007. We booked a room with the Anguk Guesthouse directly with the owner Mr Kin Seung over email, based on a recommendation in a Lonely Planet guidebook.

Upon our arrival we found the front door locked and a note with his cell phone number for us stuck on the door. We managed to find a phone to call him and he said he would be there to meet us in less than 15 minutes. 75 minutes later (!!!) he rushed in, threw open the door to a miniscule, one twin bed (and nothing else!) room and said "here". I proceeded to show him the email he had sent me confirming one room with a double bed, private bath and pc in the room. He just shrugged, said "not available" and left!! We were not only shocked at his rudeness (most eveyone else we ran into in South Korea was super polite) but also at how he could ignore the fact he had promised us a room in black & white. After a short, frantic search we did find other decent accomodations, but would reccommended NOT EVER planning to stay at the Anguk Guesthouse as you will most definately not get what you bargained for!! Also, compared to the rates we received on our rooms for the rest of our stay this place is quite overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank TheSpeedys