“Great location and great service”

ibis Ambassador Seoul Myeongdong
Ranked #57 of 504 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We stayed at the Ibis Myeong-dong from April 5th to April 7th. The location of this hotel is great. This is a classic Korean hotel room. Not large like American hotels, but basic, clean and the hotel has great amenitieis. I traveled with my 12 year old daughter and we loved the breakfast buffet and the location. We were close to a fabulous shopping district and we could walk and shop. The staff spoke good english and made us feel very welcome. We plan to return to the Ibis on another visit.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed April 7, 2010

We made a 24-hour stopover in Seoul between Tokyo and Paris and chose the no-frills Ibis because of its convenient location and good price. The 6015 bus took us from the airport to the front door of the hotel in one hour (the return was 90 minutes), so getting there couldn't have been easier. Staff stood ready at the information desk on the ground floor to answer any questions, and check-in took place at the 19th-floor lobby.

Our 16th-floor double room was a bit larger than what we've stayed in at other Ibis hotels. It had a comfortable double bed, good-sized closet, safe, desk, TV and free Ethernet. The tiny bathroom offered a shower but no tub. Though the hotel stands Downtown, we heard no noise from the street below -- or from other rooms. The hotel looks quite new and both our room and the public areas were clean and showed no wear and tear.

Shops, the metro and restaurants are nearby, so we were able to hit the ground running for our short time in the city. There are Starbucks stores on both sides of the hotel and
we chose to have a continental breakfast at one of them rather than eating the buffet breakfast offered by Ibis for an additional cost.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rumples
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Great location and easy to reach from the airport (Take bus 6015 at exit 12a). Staff are very friendly and efficient. My room felt brand new and had great views. Internet is free in reception. There is a Starbucks next door which was great for me!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank jamesa1980
Reviewed March 29, 2010

The IBIS was a great hotel to stay in; just for the reasons below:
# Convenient location for airport limousin - both airport buses from Gimpo (6001) and Incheon Airport (6015) stop right outside the hotel.
# Walking distance to Myeongdong Nanta Theatre
# Walking distance to Namsan Tower and Namdaemun Mkt
# Great shopping in Myeongdong area, and lots of food choices
# Just a few stops from Dongdaemun Market
# 5min away from the subway station

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank qian08
Reviewed March 24, 2010

The hotel, before we left Australia e-mailed all info on - what number bus( 6015) to get to get to the hotel.Also the bus location pick -up point in the airport ,plus how many stops till we would reach the hotel.They also informed us on attractions and other sightseeing actiivities ,we might like. On arrival to Seoul, we were able to go directly to the bus. The driver handled our luggage and told us were to get off. The bus stop is directly in front of the Ibis.The hotel has excellent staff who helped us when all our credit cards failed for a day.We accessed one of their computers for free internet use so we could check our account details.The rooms were spacious and nice.We had the breakfast buffet and dinner buffet( all you could eat and drink beers)- Aus $14and $30.Great value.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Apples096
Reviewed March 9, 2010

We stayed at the Ibis over New Years so we were in the heart of Seoul and the action. It was freezing on New Year's Eve with temperatures plummeting to -17celcius so it was an ideal walk from the hotel to the Bosingak Bell.

Fantastic location, close to the department stores, chungeonchung, restaurants, easy and accessible.

Would definitely recommend people to stay here if they want to be in the heart of the city and walking distance to most hotspots.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2010

Ibis Ambassador Myeong-dong Hotel is an excellent choice if you do not mind an absence of luxurious items in hotel rooms, or a splendid view through the windows, or so. I mean, you are not going to visit Seoul and waste your time in the hotel room, are you?

The most important thing is that Ibis Ambassador Myeong-dong is in the middle of everything because many sites are in the walking distance from the hotel, which means you can stay out late in the evening and go to your room without using cabs or public transportation. However, the whole area around Ibis Ambassador Myeong-dong is equipped with several subway stations, so you can use them when needed.

During my two stays at Ibis Ambassador Myeong-dong in February 2010, I had two slightly different rooms, where the second one was a little bit smaller than the first one. Nevertheless, both rooms were clean as well as the bathrooms. Because of the round shape of the bathtubs, some of the rooms' walls were also rounded which was funny. Anyway, the accommodation was fully functional and I used it mostly for sleeping and having some street-food suppers in the late evenings while watching TV.

As said, Ibis Ambassador is the middle of popular, central Myeong-dong district, fully equipped with various restaurants and shops. That is why I did not book the hotel's breakfast option. Instead I found a couple of small nearby restaurants (Migabon, Yark Chon) serving porridge – a warm rice-based meal in the mornings, which comes in several flavors. I noticed that many young people, both domestic and foreigners, preferred to visit restaurants like those two at around 8.30 – 9 am. I compared the prices and the price of such breakfast was less than a half of the Ibis' buffet breakfast price. However, I used Ibis Ambassador Myeong-dong breakfast only one morning: it was about 7.15 am, when I was preparing for my whole-day trip to DMZ, which was scheduled to start at 7.55 am (i.e. before the external restaurants mentioned opened). The breakfast variety was quite good in Ibis, as expected. (For guests with kids, parents or like who prefer western-type of food, the hotel's buffet might be a better solution than the external restaurants, because the latter do not serve western food, as long as I noticed. Nevertheless, I liked Korean dishes very much and even managed to improve my using the sticks, instead of the fork  )

Although the logo of Ibis Ambassador Myeong-dong Hotel shows only two stars, (I am not yet sure about its actual categorization) I remembered my last stay in similar Ibis in Krakow, Poland, a couple of years ago. I can say that the quality of service is almost identical, though in Poland, I had the breakfast included in the room price. (Then I preferred that way because I wanted to start exploring Krakow earlier in the mornings, cca at 7 am, so whenever you get up early, the hotel's breakfast is for you.)

The staff in Ibis Ambassador Myeong-dong Hotel was guest-friendly, particularly the young folks at the 19th floor reception. They were good informed about the events in the city (it was Seollal – the Lunar New Year in Seoul) so it was helpful for me. They were also used to check for updated tourist-related information by using their computers, so I did not have unanswered questions (if any). In addition, they distributed their own 'Fun things to do' fliers with specific Lunar Year events listed.

The airport bus lines #6015 (from/to Incheon Apt) and #6001 (from/to Gimpo Apt) run up near the hotel's entrance, so it is very convenient for passengers who are not familiar with Seoul. Moreover, if you are in a hurry going to the airport, the receptionists at the 19th floor sell the bus tickets so you can buy the tickets when checkout and they will inform you about the next scheduled bus (in my case I had less than 5 minutes to the next bus, but managed to catch it on time). In addition, the staff at the 1st floor (the hotel's entrance) can help with your luggage, so you won't miss your bus.

As most hotels do nowadays, Ibis Ambassador Myeong-dong Hotel helps you with offering various daily trips (regulated with other travel agencies) but it also has its own daily routes with a mini-van to the major nearby attractions (old palaces etc). That service is free for hotel guests but it is expected that you book a seat the day before or so.

If you are a credit card holder, you have probably noted that many hotels, incl. Ibis Ambassador Myeong-dong Hotel, make reservations from your card, that I suppose assures a guest is not going to face a shortage of funds at checkout. That means they reserve the amount of money you will actually pay at checkout the last day of your stay. In my case, the reservation caused my credit card to run 'out of money' a little bit earlier than I expected /in the middle of my stay/. When noticed that, I contacted the staff and they offered to cancel the reservation if I wanted. I did not do that but at the end, I paid in cash and they canceled the reservation.

The only thing I eventually missed at Ibis Ambassador Myeong-dong Hotel was a swimming pool with a plenty of hot water late in the evening (because it was a freezing-cold and windy February in Korea). I am not sure about now but it looked that instead of a pool they actually had some kind of a hot bath, but somehow being connected with a gym facility or so, which I did not use, so I hardly recognized it.

Anyway, if you plan to visit the nearby attractions repeatedly, like Namdaemoon market, Lotte department store, Korea bank museum /free antrance/, Deoksugung palace /free entrance if you are wearing hanbok during Seollal days/ - (all of the places within 5-15 min walk), then the Ibis Ambassador Myeong-dong Hotel is an excellent choice. I recommend it without any hesitation if you look for a non-expensive accommodation in the centre of downtown Seoul. Check their prices in advance because they vary from time to time, depending on the hotel's occupation rate.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business