“Great location; great hotel”

ibis Ambassador Seoul Myeongdong
Ranked #56 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location; great hotel”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We recently stayed at the Ibis in Myeong-dong and can highly recommend it. The location is excellent. We had seen several reviews (prior to booking) complaining about the size of the rooms, so we paid the extra and had a junior suite and it was well worth the extra. The room was a great size and we had a good view looking towards Namdaemun and overlooking the nightly market stalls.

The airport limousine but stop is right at the front door as is a subway stop. The food on offer around the area (street food and restaurant food) is sensational and very good value. We left Seoul for a few of days and on returning decided the Ibis was the best location in Seoul, so all up we ended up spending about two weeks there. When we returned we did have a standard room for one night which was small but it served its purpose. We then moved back to a junior suite the next night.

The housekeeping staff did a sensational job and every afternoon we would come back to an immaculately clean room. Their housekeeping staff must be the best in Seoul and should be commended for their efforts.

We found the bathrooms to be completely adequate. They are small but extremely functional and the shower had the best water pressure I’ve ever had in a hotel.

Additionally, the coin laundry facilities on the 10th floor were a sensational idea. Got most of our washing done before leaving Korea which saves a lot of work when returning home.

The staff on reception on the 19th floor were fantastic and efficient as were the concierge staff on the ground floor. Nothing was too much trouble and they spoke English very well which was handy for us as we unfortunately don’t speak Korean. They were very helpful with directions etc.

We will definitely stay here again when back in Seoul.

Room Tip: Go for the junior suite - we stayed in 1426 and 1226 - would recommend either.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank greyhound804

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Luzon, Philippines
Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

For tourist like me, this hotel location is one of the best. Located center of shopping n dining district. Very easy to tour around n beside subway station. Although the rooms are quite small, for a family you may request addtl pillows n blanket n get it yourself. They have no extrabed. They give nice freebie tumbler.
Dont expect good room service n housekeeping. But at least they makeup room daily. Price of hotel is quite higher
But i will complement this hotel's nice location.

• Stayed April 2012
Tokyo
Reviewed April 25, 2012

..which is a decent hotel in terms of room and service. Great location however. On a bit of a budget? Then stay here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank ktari3
Belfast
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This hotel was brilliant. There is a stop for this hotel on the 6015 airport bus which is really convenient and the hotel is right at the bus stop so you can easily get on the bus and get off the bus without much walking or trying to find your hotel. The hotel is right in Myeong Dong so it is an excellent location for shopping or doing general touristy things. This hotel is closer to Euljiro 1 station but also only a 5min walk from Myeong Dong station so it is really easy to hop on the subway on either line. Both stations are only a few stops away from Hongik/Dongdaemum etc. The hotel itself is a standard hotel but it is clean, spacious and has all the facilities that you could need. We had a double room first and when we came back to Seoul we had a twin, I was travelling with my sister so both were fine because the beds were a good size and the rooms was roomy enough for us and our bags! In room safe, coffee/tea, TV, coin laundry, free wifi area in the lobby were all great. Staff were helpful and most spoke good english. Breakfast was also pretty good here but there was more asian style breakfast than western but it was still value for money. The restaurant has a great view, is clean and comfortable with great staff.

The only problem that we found was that when we stayed in the floor above the smoking floors we noticed a smell of smoke occasionally which wasn't great so I would suggest getting a higher floor. It wasn't a big deal but I would have preferred not to have that.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Seoul. Brilliant location, great hotel, reasonable value. Book early because we wanted to come back to this hotel but couldn't because it was fully booked.

Room Tip: Book early to avoid not getting a booking! Higher floors are better as the lower floors are the smok...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank WeeBean
Singapore
Reviewed April 21, 2012 via mobile

Spent one night in this hotel as I wanted to be close to shopping area as it's my last night in Seoul. Myeongdong shopping street and subway stations are nearby. Plus airport bus stops right in front. Pricey because of this. Small rooms, ok for couples but not for families. A big plus is the free wifi in the rooms. Would definitely stay here again as I can conveniently take the subway to or Namdaemun for shopping.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank hlmh
Manila
Reviewed April 20, 2012

good location in center of Myeongdong shopping area, near MTR station...
only issue is the shower a bit cramp...room clean and size ok for 2 adults and 2 kids...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AGUManila
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 20, 2012

So glad I chose to stay at this hotel at the recommendation of a kind reviewer who responded to my question in my forum. As a first time visitor to Seoul and travelling with 2 children aged 9 and 11, it was perfect for our stay.

Pros:
-------
* As what other reviewers have pointed out, location is unbeatable. Surrounded by numerous eateries (you never go hungry with local Korean restaurants and western ones like Outback, TGIF, McDonald etc.) and shops (underground shops, flea markets a street away and departmental stores namely Lotte opposite) and many convenient stores e.g. 7-11, Family Mart.

* the Airport bus (no. 6015) station is just outside this hotel. Same drop off/pick up point. Costs Won 10,000 for an adult and 8,000 for a child one way. Adult tickets can be purchased at the hotel reception on the 19th floor. Child tickets (discounted) can be purchased from the bus driver. Saved us a bundle not having to take taxis.

* The Seoul Metro Green Line (Line 2) exit 6 is just 5 minutes walk away. We bought the T-Money cards (like a store value card) from the 7-11 one street away and topped up the cards at the Metro stations. Travelled to most places by Metro. So cheap. About Won 1,050 per journey for adult and half that for child. The hotel map has a good updated Metro map in English within. I tried downloading the Metro map from the internet beforehand but it wasn't current (the new Line 9 was not shown).

* The famous Nanta (cooking show) Myeongdong theatre (part of the UNESCO building) is just one street away from the hotel where all the action is. 3 minutes walk.

* Breakfast was filling with a good spread offering different types of cereals, bakery, cold salads/hams, juices, fruits, yoghurts, eggs, sausages, baked beans, hash browns, tea/coffee/hot chocolate etc. There were also Korean dishes, dim sum and porridge. I stuffed myself and didn't need to eat till dinner time! Won 20,900 per adult (incl taxes) and Won 10,450 for child.

* There are 3 free shuttle buses (at 9 a.m., 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.) that take you to the normal tourist sites e.g. Gyeongbokgung Palace, N Seoul Tower at Mt. Namsan, Insadong, Namdaemun market etc. The bus runs in a loop and serves different destinations at different times. Need to book beforehand as it can only take 9 passengers maximum.

* Service was good. All my queries were answered promptly. They have excellent maps for free. There was a day where I forgot to remove the 'Do Not Disturb' sign so my room wasn't made up but reception was able to provide me towels promptly.

*There is an express checkout service. I paid for my stay the night before my last day at the 19th floor reception and just dropped off the keys at the ground floor reception upon departure.

* Free fast WiFi. Both my mobile phones did not work so I had to resort to WhatsApp and emails. They provided a free phone to be used during our stay - just pay for the individual calls and messaging but I didn't bother.

Cons:
--------
* Room and bathroom are tight. We had a junior suite with a king sized bed as there were 3 of us. I emailed to ask for an extra rollaway bed but was told they couldn't fit it in. Actually they could have. Maybe they just didn't have the extra bed.

* Reception is on the 19th floor which was rather strange initially. That's because IBIS only occupies the top half of the building. The reception on the ground floor acts like a concierge. They can answer your questions and you can leave your luggage behind the counter temporarily.

* Although breakfast spread was good, the dishes were pretty much the same everyday.

* I could hear the muffled traffic in the early morning but it didn't bother me. Thankfully had a high floor.

* The room was too warm despite turning the aircon down to 21 degrees but we visited at a awkward time where it was very cold in the morning (7 degrees) and very warm in the day (21 degrees).

Would I stay here again? Most definitely although it wasn't exactly cheap (had the junior room) but for me convenience really counts for a lot!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family