“Great hotel and fantasic location”

ibis Ambassador Seoul Myeongdong
Ranked #53 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Plainfield, Illinois
“Great hotel and fantasic location”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my family while traveling in Seoul. We had two rooms. One was a standard room... big enough, but not large. Bed was very comfortable and had a separate bathroom with fantastic water pressure in the shower.

Second room was a junior suite and was very spacious. The king bed was huge and very comfortable. The view from our view was great and overlooked the main square in Myeong-dong.

There were so many shops and restaurants in walking distance to this hotel. The subway was very close, only like a 2 minute walk down the street.

Hotel was very clean and the staff was friendly. Highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in Seoul. Public transportation is everywhere.

Room Tip: Call the hotel, they were fluent in English.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Good service from staff. Clean room with comfortable bed.Nice location for shopping and travel around Seoul. The staffs most helpful and give a good suggestion when I request.
I can see a view of Numsan Tower during I spent my time in room which make me feel happy and enjoy my trip.
In case the price is not much expensive I will come to stay again if I go to Seoul.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Steve_CHOI, General Manager at ibis Ambassador Seoul Myeongdong, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Ibis Seoul Myeong-dong!

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Ibis Seoul Myeong Dong. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

For the while, it looks to us that your paid price was higher than your expectation. For your information, our offering prices are dynamically changing according to booking demand. So it will be more benefic if you can make your booking earlist to your arrival for your next visit. Because we start to offer our price from lowest to higher with the time.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Ibis Myeong dong is undoubtedly conveniently located. I chose it prinarily because the airport shuttle stops right in front of the hotel. The dizzying array of department stores, restaurants, shops and the night market makes it an ideal location for visitors who just want to shop and eat. However, the rooms could be better.. The windows are narrow, the rooms are dark even in the day and the layout of the room is somewhat claustrophobic.
The staff at concierge try to be helpful but they seem to be overwhelmed as the reception desk is on another floor. If you are the sort of traveller who will lounge in the hotel room, enjoy engaging hotel staff and would depend on the hotel concierge to provide travel tips and make arrangements, then Ibis Myeong Dong is probably not for you.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank twinklemelody
Steve_CHOI, General Manager at ibis Ambassador Seoul Myeongdong, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Dear Guest,

Warm Greetings from Ibis Seoul Myeong-dong!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Ibis Seoul Myeong Dong. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. Concerning yout comment regarding 1st Floor Information desk staff, I immediately raise these issue to all of staff, we will train all of staffs to be always available for information. also your comment regarding lightening of room and size of window, we carefully noted your remarks for future planning.

Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I live in Korea so I have stayed at a handful of hotels in Seoul and in other cities in Korea. I can say with certainty that excluding location, Ibis Myeong-dong is the least bang for your buck. They also have rigid reservation rules that cheat customers. Unfortunately, because of their prime location, they will continue their stingy ways and still receive a boatload of customers.

But first, I will describe the state of my room. For 170,000 won (+ 10% vat) I have a really small double room, tiny television, no bathroom amenities other than a miniature bar of soap. The carpet doesn't look clean, there is no bathtub - only a small shower, and there is no bathrobe available. I have stayed at hotels in Seoul and other cities in Korea at least 60,000 won cheaper with better rooms that included free bottles of water and juice, bigger beds, a bathtub or jacuzzi, and a bigger TV.

Second, I originally reserved for a summer delight room package for two nights (Friday and Saturday) that included breakfast and drink at the bar for only 155,000 won (+ 10% vat). I had made the mistake of reserving for the wrong weekend and was mortified when I came to Seoul on a Friday and discovered my mishap. I was told that even though I made the reservation only the night before, because of my mistake, I'd have to pay 170,000 for Friday night and something like 220,000 won for a Junior Suite for Saturday night. I decided to stay at another (cheaper) hotel down the road, but asked the receptionist to change the date of the reservation to two weeks from Friday. She agreed to do that and I the package would be applied to that date.

When I arrived two weeks later on a Friday, I discovered that this time the receptionist made the mistake of changing the reservation to Saturday and Sunday nights rather than Friday and Saturday nights. Luckily, there were doubles available but instead of giving me the summer delight room package, I had to pay 170,000 won per night (30,000 won more than the package price for a weekend stay) and I did not get a free drink though they told me that breakfast would be included. That is one good thing about this hotel. They have an excellent breakfast buffet but you don't have to stay at this hotel to eat here for breakfast (it is 18,000 won at the time of this writing).

My employer has used this hotel in the past for international guests only because of the Myeong-dong location. However, I will never come back to this hotel again for a weekend leisurely stay and I will talk to my boss about finding another hotel in the area for our guests. If you have the money to stay in an Ibis Junior Suite, you might as well splurge a bit more and stay at the Lotte Hotel across the street. At least you'll know that you're getting luxury and high quality service.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank CarmenSandiego30
Steve_CHOI, General Manager at ibis Ambassador Seoul Myeongdong, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Dear guest,

Greetings from Ibis Seoul Myeong-dong!

For the while, I am sincerely sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Concerning your reservation, we should have carefully listened to your explanation about the reason of cancellation and we should have flexibly responded to your needs. It is true that your reservation was done with pre-paid conditions but we could your stay changed according to our availibility upon your arrival for your convenience. Moreover when you came back to our hotel for your latest stay, we could not meet another chance to welcome you properly due to our fault as you explained. I immediately raised the issue to all of our staffs and discuss with them about proactive understanding of guest needs and its effective support for the best convenience of our guests.

Ibis Seoul Myeong-dong
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 29, 2011

The Location of the hotel is great! Shopping and food is just round the corner. Airport Limousine is just right in front of the hotel and at the same bus stop there is a shuttle to The Shilla Duty Free Seoul. Furthermore they have free shuttle to sightseeing destinations in Seoul City. It is so convenient. The staffs are very helpful and friendly. However, there is not much amenities in the room and the bed is very uncomfortable and causes us to have backache after 1 night rest. It will be best hotel if they replace all the beds.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Guest,

Warm Greetings from Ibis Seoul Myeong-dong!

We very much appreciate your comments and information of hotel regarding your stay at the Ibis Seoul Myeong Dong. It is always a pleasure to receive your kind feedback.

For the while, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience about amenity and beds. Concerning your comment regarding hotel amenity and beds, I carefully noted for our future planning.

Mecca, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Best merit, I think, is location and amenity. Location was so good for shopping. And amenity, especially spa and cell phone rental was nice. Spa, it’s my first experience and I began to loved it. It was so amaging. And cell phone rental was uinque. I stayed one day so I didn't used, but it seemed to me stylish. I think it is a good service for long stayed guests.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank musketor
Dear Guest,

Warmest Greetings from Ibis Seoul Myeong-dong!

We very much appreciate your best comments and Information of hotel amenity regarding your stay at the Ibis Seoul Myeong Dong. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.