“so-so”

Ranked #35 of 766 things to do in Seoul
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This large aquarium houses more than 600 different species of aquatic life and more than 40,000 fish. There are also exhibits on the Amazon, the seven seas, and even a marine touch zone.
Reviewed February 7, 2013

If you are coming with the kids,they sure will like it.The location is at the basement of the shopping centre and the air seem isn't so refreshing.The space is small,morever when a lot of kids come together and running here and there,you find it is hardly to enjoy.However,the species of the fish is much better then i am expected,so it is still worth to come here if you are with kids in your group.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

When I saw the first set of fish tanks for the early sections of the aquarium, I was pretty disappointed. Being from the Midwest in the United States, you saw pretty much the same fish in the tanks that you'd see in any lake. They even had chipmunks at this aquarium. It was an odd combination of animals to put together. If I remember correctly too, there was a squirrel as well.

The place was still decorated with festive Christmas themed fish tanks, which were fun too see, but the thing I liked best were the very cleverly used phone booths, soda pop machines, traffic lights, Korean mail boxes, etc. that were used as fish tanks.

They also had an some manatees that were very active as well as many other sea creatures that were very enjoyable to see. The aquarium used its space pretty well, although like all places in Korea, it was VERY crowded and got really hot inside. I am not fond of the constant crowds that are frequently found in Seoul, especially when it's crowds of parents with their young children pushing strollers. I tend to refrain from it as much as possible when going anywhere in Seoul. So if you do happen to be there, I would recommend going when they open. So you can enjoy yourself better.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I wouldn't say I'm much of an aquarium junky or anything, but this is the third time I've been
to the COEX aquarium, but its the first time I've been with children. Friends of my wife and their kids came with us to the aquarium on a Saturday afternoon.

First, the aquarium was packed! Now, granted it was a Saturday afternoon in the middle of winter when there is not much going on, nor can you go outside to a park or anything, so I wasn't very surprised. That said, if you aren't a fan of crowds, I would avoid heading down on a weekend. I have been to the aquarium on a weekday, and its much more relax, with more time to stroll around and enjoy the sea life, as opposed to the weekends where it seems you are caught up in a wave of people that dictates your viewing experience.

The kids seemed entertained enough (Ages 9, two girls), but after about an hour of walking around the aquarium, they had enough and we left for ice cream. They had fun at petting section and when they could interact with the fish. Also, they loved the water show in the big tank.

Overall its a pretty good way to kill an hour at COEX while shopping at the mall. I will definitely go back again.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I love aquariums and this one does not disappoint; however, it's not a great aquarium either. Watch out for weekends and holidays as this place can get crammed with kids whose idea of aquarium viewing is running around and banging on the glass.

1  Thank karmaking1111
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I had a great time in this lovely aquarium. There were many fish varieties and the tanks were all lovely and clean and the animals looked happy.