“Ok, Not Bad”

Ranked #454 of 952 Seoul B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Ok, Not Bad”
Reviewed October 14, 2008

Well I guess the price makes up for the condition of the place.

Was difficult to find even for the cab driver who took us there. Location is near the subway, but I dun really fancy the walk in along the back alleys. The guest house (everywhere.. hallways / stairways) was dimly lighted and I find it a bit creepy (even during the day).

Room was small but amneties were quite well provided.

Stayed for my first 2 days in Seoul. On the second night, me and roomie decided to roam around to look for a better place to stay.

• Liked — -
  • Disliked — You dun see any other hotel guest haging around the cafe or internet room.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank xneiax

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 12, 2007

Great Location, cheap rate except the room is abit small otherwise prefect. The owners speak English and simple Chinese, they are very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — Size of the room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank babetan
Ontario
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I originally planned to stay here for 5 nights. I arrived in the evening at MDGH (Myeong Dong Guest House) and it was slightly difficult to find, mainly because the MDGH business sign was way up high in a dark alley. I felt that the exterior of the building was very old, it did not look like the nice white walls as shown on the website.

I didn't like the lobby because it was very hot as there was only a fan and the lobby was very messy and dark. I felt like I walked into a teenager's messy living room.

I admit that at this point, I already didn't like MDGH. My Korean friend who dropped me and my travel buddy off kept asking us whether we really wanted to stay here. The owner clearly overheard us, so me and my travel buddy said we wanted to stay. So we checked in and trudged up the stairs with our heavy luggage to our room in the third floor. I disliked having to carry luggage up the stairs.

The room was very disappointing. We booked a double bed. The room also had a dressing table, television, old fashioned air conditioning (the kind that is a machine sticking out of the window). This made the room very small. The only walking space available was the gap between the table and the bed. Our luggage alone took up most of that gap.

Everything in the room was very OLD. The blanket on the bed had yellow stains... the bathroom tiles were breaking, to the point where I could see the black stuff underneath. It felt so disgusting that I could not bear to put my towel on the towel rack in fear that it would brush against the broken tiles. The bathroom has a window which opens up to the hallway which I felt was very creepy. There is no real separate shower within the bathroom, only a shower head. The bathroom smelled, and I saw a small cockroach...

I told my friend I didn't want to stay at MDGH because I didn't like it. We decided we would change our accomodations to something better. So we made phone calls to our Korean friend for help in searching. Eventually our Korean friend told us we'd have to stay for that evening and change to new accomodations the next morning.

The next morning we went over to the new hotel Seoul Prince which was just about a block away. We confirmed our reservations and went back to MDGH and told the owner that we were checking out due to a change in travel plans. We didn't want to tell him the truth because we thought it would be rude. However, the owner was very rude and said to us: "I think you found some place else" and "I am not a fool". But when he said "I heard you tell your friend last night that you didn't like it here", I became frozen. I had read an old review on Trip Advisor that said MDGH had cameras in the room so I asked "How do you know that? Do you have a camera in the room?" The owner seemed stunned and didn't say anything back. So I just said "Look can I just pay and get out of here?" He made us pay a penalty of one night because we were cancelling our reservations. We quickly paid and as we went upstairs to get our luggage, he said "I don't have cameras in the room, I just get mad when people don't keep their promises". We didn't bother saying anything back and left.

Later on, my friend said she read a review saying that he stands in the hallway outside new guests' bedroom to listen in on their conversation on the first night. I am pretty sure that is how he overheard me saying I didn't like MDGH. The thought of him standing outside our room is very creepy, added to the fact that the bathroom window opens right up to hallway, I highly do not recommend anyone staying here.

I paid approx $35 CDN per night per person at MDGH. I admit that price is very affordable but keep in mind that is for a double bed. At Seoul Prince we paid $54 per night per person for two TWIN beds. I prefer Seoul Prince Hotel because I was able to sleep and shower comfortably. Location at Seoul Prince was also better because it was literally right across from Myeong Dong shopping and there was no need to walk into a dark alley way to get home. Also, they have elevators and breakfast is included. Most importantly, it was clean and modern.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Too much to name
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
10 Thank hairyhairyfairy

Travelers are raving about these Seoul hotels

seoul
Reviewed April 2, 2006

My girlfriend (from Singapore) stayed in this guesthouse/motel whenever she comes to Seoul.
Their rates is one of the lowest in town (30,000) for a single bedroom...and at what a prime location too (less than 5 mins to subway and near to shopping malls).
I spent a few days there with my girlfriend and got to experience first-hand what it's like to live in this guesthouse/motel.
The rooms are small (the hot floored room is much bigger) and as there is no central heating, it can get really cold in winters but if u stay under covers, it's alright.
When I was staying there, I noticed that the guesthouse/motel is very popular with young female Japanese tourists.
The owner (Mr Park) is a nice person and because he used to work in a bank, can speak English well (which is very useful for those that can't speak Korean).
On top of that, he speaks fluent Japanese and also some Mandarin.
The last time my friend stayed there in winter 05, and because hers was a morning flight and she's going to Jeju in the afternoon, the owner let her rest in the motel for free for a few hours (8-10 am) on the condition that she will stay in the hotel after returning from Jeju.
The location is what makes the guesthouse/motel popular...if u can't speak Korean and want to take a cab back there, just tell the driver opposite Sejong hotel.
And u can take the airport limousine bus that stops in front of Sejong hotel if u want to go to Incheon airport.
The motel is very safe which is another reason why it's popular with single female tourists...will state an example how very safe it is.
Me and my friend accidentally forgot to close the bedroom door one night (actually, we did close it but because the bathroom door is just next to the bedroom door, if u slam the bathroom door too hard, the bedroom door will open slightly) and we actually slept through the night with our bedroom door not only not locked but opened!! So don't slam the bathroom door too hard and always make sure that your door is closed & locked before u sleep.

Now for the cons of the guesthouse/motel.
It may be called guesthouse in English but the Korean name for it is actually myeondong motel and it is a motel.
That means if it have empty rooms, the guesthouse/motel will rent them out for couples who rent it by the hour (think love hotel)
We had an unpleasant incident when a middle-aged couple who were leaving the couple, the man gave me and my girlfriend an once-over.
But my friend told me this is the first time something like this happened in all her times there (so always remember to close and lock your door at all times)
The guesthouse/motel is old and it looks old...the rooms are okie clean but u can tell that it's old and worn out.
If u come from a tropical country, u will find the rooms extremely cold during winter...my friend hate taking showers there because of how cold it is.
Although there is no curfew at the motel, if u go return back to the hotel too late (or early in the morning depending on how u see it), u will realized that the main doors are closed and u'll have to shake the glass doors to wake the owner up to open the doors for you.
Because me and my friend like clubbing/nightlife, we always only return to the guesthouse/motel in the wee hours and u can tell that we are not the owner's favorite guests...lol
It may be hard to find the guesthouse/motel at first because it's situated inside an alley and at night, it can be really dark and quiet around (but I never had reason to be afraid)

Overall, I will say that u can never find any accommodation that is at such a convenient location for such a cheap rate.
If u are on a budget and want to save your money for shopping or u think that a room is only for sleeping in since u will be out all day, then by all means stay in this guesthouse/motel.
But if u have money to spare and want nice, clean big rooms to sleep in, this is definitely not the place for you.
For those that aren't sure, I will suggest that u book a room at the guesthouse/motel for one day and see how it goes.
If u like it, u can continue staying on but if u don't, then u can just look for another place to stay in.
Motels are aplenty in Seoul (mostly situated in alleyways) and u can get a room very easily (no reservations needed)...and u will be impressed by how nice some of the motel rooms are.
36 inch flat-screen TVs, nice clean big rooms, water dispenser and also videos that u can rent from the reception.

• Stayed January 2005
11 Thank Korean_rookie
Reviewed December 24, 2005

I called to arrange at the last minute to stay at the guest house. I didn't expect to get any last minute single room. However, the owner was very courteous and helpful. Although there was indeed no single room available, he managed to sort out the problem and gave me a room!

When I arrived to check in before the check in time, he greeted me very warmly (it was so cold outside!). He said the room should be ready soon as it was still being cleaned. True enough, it was not too long the room became available.

The room was much better than expected. But the level of professionalism and friendliness the owner provided was really superb.

I can surely say there is no closed circuit television in the guest house at all. The screen of the television set in the owner's office fully faced the window. Anyone would be able to see clearly what the television screen is all about.

As owner of the guest house, he has to ensure the safety of each and every one of his guests. This would include checking on every level to ensure all rooms are properly locked.

All in all, for the price, the guest house is indeed a very safe and fantastic place to stay. I would recommend it to anyone and will definitely come back to stay again when I next visit Seoul!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• Stayed December 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 21, 2005

We stayed there few times, and know many friends who did stay there, none is complaining. you can not compare to hotel you have stayed before.

Well,let put it this way...

If travelers arrv in the morning, there will be no way to check in at 9am unless you book additional night before you arrv. If you do travel around, I think there is no hotel that will let you check in as early as 9am. Some hotel check in time is 12pm or some even at 2pm.

As for rooms… what you seen on web page are the new rooms photos. Agree some of the room is kind of small. But there are bigger rooms too.

I was there during winter, and fall…

During Fall the room is not that cold as per what you said since you said the temp is 12-17. And during winter (when I was there, temp outside was below zero, -8), room is ok when heated up with heater, the toilet is kind of cold.

Our stays were ok, no problem at all. If you want me to rate as per value for money, I think is above average of what we are paying when you rate the price and location of the GH

As per what you seen on "tv".... I can not comment on it... as I am not there, but I hope is not true as you only have 10% viewing of the SMALL window(as the window is 90% closed)...

In anyway, take note of your comment and your experiences when I travel. And I think all travelers should increase their alert on traveling.

Cheers

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 28, 2005

We visited Seoul last week and stayed at Myeong Dong Guest House. We communicated with the male owner of the GH via email for the booking. We confirmed everything as well as informed the time of arrival (5:50am).

The weather was sooooo cold when we touched down at Incheon Airport. We finally reached the GH in the morning at about 8:30am, BUT we were told that there was no room available, and asked to leave the baggage and come back in the afternoon.

After spending a night on the aircraft, we were too tired to continue travelling around. Our plan was to settle down and take a shower before starting to explore Seoul when we reached the GH. We were not informed about the problem when we mentioned our arrival time in the email!

The room condition was not what we see on its web-site; rather it’s far from that. We find that its condition does not worth for the price. There is no much space to move around, when you come out from the bathroom, it’s the bed and the dressing table, and the distance between the bed and dressing table is just about 15 inches (a shoulder length). The electrical wires were old.

The temperature during our stays ranged 12-17 degree. It was so cold even we were inside our tiny room. Although heating device was provided beneath the comforter, we could feel the chill without the blanket. So, we (my sister and myself) applied body lotion and massage all over our body before we went to bed. We felt warmer and better.

The 2nd night when we came back to the GH, we met the male owner, he asked us, if we felt cold when we slept. At that moment, we didn’t find his question any special and took it as a kind concern. Because the positive comments about the owners from the web-site had also impressed us deeply.

This night, after shower, my sister posed me a question: how did he know that we felt cold when we slept? I was dumb-founded. But I was still trying to explain his question was a norm and he probably also asked the same question to others.

Usually, we leave our room key to the owners before we go out and get from them when we come back (everybody does that). The owners stay in a room at the lobby, where there is a small sliding window for guests to communicate with them. Inside their room, there are a TV, a bed and a PC. The small windows are closed sometimes. The main entrance gate will bell whoever enters into the premise.

This was our 3rd night. When we got back to the GH, it was almost 12 mid-night. After all the cleaning, before we retired, I tiptoed down to the lobby to get some hot water. The small windows were 90% closed, and the light and the TV were still on. When I naturally turned my head to that direction, I peeped something very different yet familiar from the TV, guess what? There were 4 segments on the TV and I saw the left down segment was a picture of bedroom and background looked alike us. It’s definitely not ours, otherwise I would have no chance to see what I saw. Oh my! I quickly tiptoed back to my room.

When I told my sister what I saw, we both looked at each other and couldn’t have a word further. Our hearts just sank deeply as we recalled we took off our clothes to massage our body every nights before we slept…we did it when sitting on the bed, the TV was on the dressing table, and the dressing table was just 15 inches away from the bed….and our habit was, first thing first when we entered into our room, we on the TV !

We actually intended to search for the hidden device, but we were not sure whether by switching off the TV would it also off the surveillance system, otherwise our searching actions would also be seen.

Tonight was our last night here. We came back earlier to do some packing, for tomorrow we had to check out early in the morning. After all packing, I thought of going down to get some hot water and also settle the bill, so that in case we overslept tomorrow, we could just leave the GH immediately without any delay.

As I just opened my room door, hoooo…. the male owner was standing right in front of me! The corridor light was all off; just the staircase light was on. I looked at him, and he quickly went down to the stairs.

What was he doing here at this hour, I wondered. Then I looked around my neighbourhood, I then realised all these rooms were not occupied. You can tell whether the room is occupied, because there is a sliding window in the bathroom, which facing the corridor. This window will remain open when either the room is not occupied or the guest is not back yet.

I decided not to pay him till tomorrow morning. Thank God we would be checking out in another few hours….

(We met kind Koreans too. He phoned to figure out the location and walked with us all the way, just to bring us to the bus stop and waited with us for the bus till we thanked him his kindness. We felt very touched, indeed.)

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member