$132
$120
$90
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewswalking distancelaundry roomjongno ga stationcheonggyecheon streammajor subwaybreakfast is serveddumplingsstayed here for nightsshopping districtexitcerealluggageconsstoreprostoiletriescomb
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Having read all the good reviews about the hotel, I decided to book it and regretted the very first day.

Location:
Reviews said=that it is near all major locations and within walking distance. It's all crap.

i say= if one means that one can walk from Singapore to Thailand, then ya, Myeongdong and Dongdaemun will be "extremely" near. The walk to DDM was like 30mins and there was no way back to hotel at the end of the shopping spree after 11pm when the subway stopped operating. We were forced to hop on the expensive cabs because we were tired from the shopping and had a few bags. We just opened the door and car-jacked a cab because we were fighting with the locals as well. No chance of walks to MD.

One has to walk through some small alleys to get to the hotel and its definitely not safe especially when there are some bars in the alleys

Not many taxi drivers know how to get to this hotel.

Near subway station:
I say= the one just outside the hotel is Jong-no Sam ga station (orange line 3). This is the same line if you are going to Apujeong. Otherwise, all other attractions are along green line, Euljiro sam ga, which is 15 mins walk away and the hotel staff did not know of the existence of this station and kept telling us to take the Jong-no subway. The Euljiro station is not even in their direction card.

Friendly staff:
I say=Koreans are generally very hospitable so it is not that the service is great. It's the culture of the country.

Overall:
If you have a little more to spend, please choose ibis hotel at MYeongdong b'cos it's just next to myeongdong shopping street so you can shop tell the shops closes. At Doulos, it's going to bed early everyday because you will be put off by the traveling.

Room Tip: Only ask for the premium deluxe room on the 9th floor. We asked to change 1 of the bookin to another premier deluxe but was told that there was only 1 such room in the whole hotel. The too in mentioned is #903
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Adri-ence
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Good location (although a little tricky to find), hotel staff were nice but their English wasn't great but we got by. The bedrooms are small but not a big deal, I wouldn't want to stay longer than a week though as would get a bit claustrophobic after a while, and it doesn't help that my husband is a giant and takes up a lot of room :)

Airport bus right nearby and lots of buzz in the surrounding neighbourhood, previous reviewer was spot on about Bladerunner, it really is like that!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Both the 6002 airport limousine bus from the international airport (Incheon) and Exit 15 at Jongo 3 (sam)-ga metro station will put you on the correct side of the road to begin your search. Walk down the narrow lane that runs between a drug store and a jewelry store. (It is only a few paces from the top of the stairs of the subway station's Exit 15.) After you start down this lane, take your third right. (A previous poster said to take the second right, but this is incorrect. The first two rights are little lanes. The third right, the one you want to take, is a small road big enough for cars.) The third right is about 100 meters from the bus and subway stops. After you turn right, Doulos Hotel will be about 50 meters down on the left side of the road. Don't expect to find this hotel based on the deceiving picture, which makes it look like it's out in the open. What's been airbrushed out are the multitude of love motels and trophy/plaque/medallion shops crowded in around it, so that you never see the place until you're actually there. The neighborhood has a Blade Runner feel to it, with a jumble of neon and wires overhead. Lots of alleyways in Seoul look like this, they are fun to get lost in, and I get the sense that they are quite safe.
As for the hotel itself: I had a deluxe twin, and by Asian standards it was bigger than I expected. Although there were no drawers, it had two little closets. (Based on what I've read here, the standard rooms must be pretty small.) The bed, bedding and pillows were quite comfy (not the rock-hard mattresses so common throughout the region). The location is good, and the workers were friendly. A few things bugged me: The Wi-Fi never worked in my room for my entire three day stay, although it worked fine in the dining area and in the lobby. The front desk took my room number down and said they'd fix it, but they never did. When I talked to the maintenance engineer about it, he said to try the wi-Fi downstairs, which makes me think that it never works on the higher floors. I just wish they'd have been upfront about it. In addition, my room had terrible lighting, more form over function. The breakfast didn't have eggs one of the three days. And my bathroom had the lowest sink/counter I've ever seen. (If you have a toddler learning to brush his/her teeth, this is the hotel for you.) In the end, this hotel is perfectly adequate, maybe a touch better. Just don't get your hopes up.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Mikxe
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Nice place, located 2 minutes from the subway, and within 5 you are ON the subway. Gret bed, with very comfotable beds and extremely nice pillows. Room are on the small side. We had deluxe room. Standard rooms must be extremely small. English spoken at the friendly reception.

Great shower - lots of hot water and good water pressure. Nice breakfast. Hot water for tea and coffee available on 2. floor but not in the room.

Very quiet, but walls a bit thin, so if youre unlucky with you neighbours, there might be some noice For us, it was really quiet...

For the price, I do not think you can get a better place than this. A bit small roomsize and AC a bit noisy (but effective) but everything alse above expected. Booked at Agoda.com which was a bit cheaper than other booking pages.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We took the International Airport taxi which had a set rate of 65,000 won which included tolls - a great way to travel to the hotel after a long plane ride since it takes well over an hour to make the trip. We had the added advantage of an English-speaking driver who was very informative about many aspects of Korean life. The staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and attentive. The room was fairly small, but clean with a good bathroom, fridge, air conditioner, free wifi. Our only difficulty was that one side of the bed was against a wall with no reading lamp - awkward for older people! Additionally, the room lighting was not good. Breakfast was included in the rate and offered hot and cold options - quite adequate for our western tastes. The hotel also has a laundry room, and although I didn't check it out, I noticed a reference to a theatre in one of the basement levels. The hotel is more than happy to look after luggage for people with flights later in the day. We had spent our first day exploring on foot, and on the day of our departure went on an organised tour. It filled our time well and when we had collected our luggage from the Doulas we returned to the airport by bus which leaves from very near the hotel. There are many restaurants in the area of the hotel, which is also close to attractions such as Cheonggyecheon Stream, Insa-dong, Changgyeonggung, Gyeongbokgung, Dongdaemun Market etc. More remote sites are only a taxi ride away, and taxis are readily available and very reasonably priced - it is best to ensure you have the name of the place you are to visit written in Korean to show the taxi driver. We would certainly revisit this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Probably a twin room would be preferable to double if the position of the bed is such that one side is against the wall.