“Nothing to write home about!”

Somerset Palace Seoul
Ranked #49 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Helsinki
“Nothing to write home about!”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Mediocre hotel. Hot public spaces due to saving costs and energy. The service in one of the restaurants was below all expectations (Italian). You could not get a smile even if you paid for it at the restaurant. Rooms a bit outdated (i.e. one of the TV sets was the old kind). Bathrooms seals had mold.

I had toothpicks in my bathroom from the previous guest...Poor cleaning.

If any poisitives, the for me they would have been the bed and the breakfast, whic naturally are important things in a hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Eddie_Bae_RM, Manager at Somerset Palace Seoul, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Larry1968

good to have your stay experienced shared here with us and all. Thanks for taking time and effort to do so. Have noted your assorted comments, which I will use to our benefit in return. Just for greater general understanding to those who may not be familiar here with the reasons behind the: 'hot public spaces'. this is due to prevailing governmental regulations (as posted in respective public areas, for all to note), which lead to hefty financial fines for those not in compliance.

The feedback to the Italian restaurant, I will share actively with our lease-partners for their benefit and improvement. The TV-sets are in the final stages of turn-around into new flat-screen formats, whereby you, unfortunately have been allocated an apartment unit which had one of the few remaining older units to be turned around. My apologies for the cleaning related inconveniences states, I will also use these matters to our improvement.

Hopefully, we will be able to cross paths on your next journey to Seoul again and hope that,by then, your writing home will be in our greater favor. At the time feel free to call in with me, if I can be of any additional service to you with the above or any other.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Norway
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Just stayed 5 nights with the family, Great location, great apartments at competitive rates to similar hotels in Seoul. The only thing that was disappointing was the breakfast, it was really bland and poor value for money, luckily there is a subway just around the corner. the Salvatore restaurant in the hotel is really good. They had a good lunch buffe for 20.000 won.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear AirplanedriverNorway,

‘Kamsahamnidah’, for sharing your stay-insights with us. Thanks for letting us know where we are going right and where we can add greater return. Hope your travels have been safe and look forward to welcome you back to a ‘great place’ in Seoul, soon again.
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed September 4, 2012

They've got the best location in Seoul.
I think you don't need subway to go around those palaces or malls nearby Somerset.
Their breakfast also good with big screen TV and free WIFI access.
Front desk also very friendly & helpful!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank sarahanoi
Eddie_Bae_RM, Manager at Somerset Palace Seoul, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Sarahanoi

A kind: ‘thank you’ for reviewing us so favorably here at Tripadvisor. It is encouraging for the team and me, to be provided with such a positive encouragement by our Guest(s). When travels brings you back from Hanoi to Seoul, feel free to call in with me ahead of time.
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have stayed at the Somerset Palace four times in recent years. Each time I have been extremely pleased. Its location can't be beat: walking distance from several subway stops, the royal palaces, Insa-dong (Mary's Alley), and the heart of the city. The efficiency units have little kitchens, and along with the complimentary breakfast, that cuts down on the food bill. There are, course, numerous restaurants both in house and nearby, so one does not go hungry. Staff is efficient and helpful. If you are looking for a pampered experience at a luxury property, this is not it, It is,, however, a great value and a very comfortable place. It will remain my go-to place in Seoul for the foreseeable future.

Room Tip: No really bad rooms, but rooms overlooking Kyongbok Palace or Chogye-sa temple have more interesting...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BUFFETBUSTER
Dear Buffetbuster,

thanks you very much for: 'hitting the nail on the head'...(multiple times) on the what our property is and represents. It is assuring to note that our intended proposition is appropriately being recognized.

Appreciate your time and effort to state the below here in writing to our benefit and once you are heading back to our property, for the fifth time, please feel free to call in with me ahead of time.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Reason for choosing this hotel: I need a two bedroom suite for three adults and a child. Traveling in the summer for 11 days I figured we should rent a service apartment with washer and dryer.

Cleanliness is the utmost basic requirement for hotels. The towels including bath mat and bath robes provided in this facility are all overdue for replacement. They are full of unbelievable stains in all different colors with original white color but all turned grey. All the kitchen utensils need a good wash. Housekeeping is bare minimum. They made up your bed and clear out the garbage. The glasses for tooth brushing were just turned back upside down without cleaning at all at any day of our stay. The refrigerators were full of kimchee smell. The washer/dryer ( 2-in-1 unit) can only work as a washer as nothing ever get dried with the drying function. Even after three drying cycles nothing is dried. There’s only one wired internet cable and no WIFI at all in the rooms. WIFI is only available at the lobby and 2nd floor where you can find the breakfast dining room, playroom, etc. You do get two 500ml bottles of water every day. I do like the room being well lit.

I usually left the hotel by 9am but I stayed longer til noon in the weekend. That’s when I found out the hotel air circulation is really bad. The cigarette smoke came through the room for the whole morning. I was suffocating from second hand smoke for hours.

I found my 1’ x 1’ laundry bag missing. I placed them on top of the washer/dryer where there was nothing else on top but my laundry bag. I planned to wash them when I got back in the afternoon. So I called the housekeeping to find out what they did to my laundry bag. We could hardly communicate with each other. Eventually, it was found shoveled behind the washer/dryer. My laundry bag compared to the size of the washer/dryer is pretty small. There was really no reason for anyone to be carelessly shoveled it to the back of the washer/dryer. I was told someone who I assumed management would come up to the room, again I assume apologizing. I waited and waited. No one ever showed up. I left the room to go out for dinner. I came back to the room and checked for messages. Nothing.

I ended up moving out of this accommodation and moved to a different hotel after the 5th day.

Room Tip: To prepare yourself to stay at this hotel, this is the shopping list for your stay. These items are...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Eddie_Bae_RM, Manager at Somerset Palace Seoul, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear TravelPuggy,

Thanks for taking time and effort to review us here, unfortunately, your review is also an equal: ‘OMG’ to me and our team. Certainly not in accordance to the kind of quality and value we pride ourselves to offer in return to our Residents. Hence, a thorough: apology is appropriate, which I like to hereby extend to you wholeheartedly.
In order to avoid a lengthy engagement here towards the various matters listed, may I suggest we take up a further exchange on your stay with me directly: ‘off-line’ via my email: eddie.bae@the–ascott.com
Accordingly we can exchange matters in greater detail and understanding better.
kingston
Reviewed June 21, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was absolutely everything it said it was and more. Great location at city center, very well run, great breakfasts every day, a well above average workout facility etc. Rooms/apartments are not plush, but very comfortable - exactly what you should get in a long stay facility. Only quibble - lack of wifi Internet in rooms. Only available in lobby and second floor. This is an upgrade the hotel will have to invest in soon if it wants to stay competitive. Otherwise it was great to stay at a property that you get what is advertised!

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank socrates1375
, Manager at Somerset Palace Seoul, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Socrates1375

Thank you most sincerely for your equally: ‘amazing’ review, here. It is indeed a delight for the property to be properly recognized for what we truly are and deliver as a service-product. Doing the opposite would be most inappropriate for us to do.
You will be happy to note that the: “wifi” service extension for individual service apartments is scheduled to be in place: later in the year. At a time, I hope to be able to welcome you back to Seoul and our property, again.
Reviewed June 17, 2012

After a great 1,5 month stay at Somerset we must say that it's personnel are extremely helpful, very accommodating and really willing to run the extra mile. We checked out and moved today to our own rented place and bought a king size bed but could not source bedsheets for that size. We call Jack the front desk rep and told him we left our pillows behind and also about the bedding issue. He arrange to source king size bedsheets at a minimum charge for us and sent these along with our pillows with the shuttle bus to Itaewon near our new place. (BTW Somerset has a very convenient and free bus shuttle service that takes you to different parts of the city). I'm externally thankful and will always recommend Somerset to everyone coming to Seoul.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Diego M
Eddie_Bae_RM, Manager at Somerset Palace Seoul, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Hello ‘DiegoMChile’

Much obliged to find your highly appreciated service-extension anecdote as provided by our Team member Jack in your favor. It is indeed, those ‘small thing’ which make the difference between a: good stay and a memorable one. Hope your residency in Itaewon will be equally rewarding, if not there will always be a ‘second home’ for you at the Somerset.