“love it!”

Ranked #48 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Hanoi, Vietnam
“love it!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

They've got the best location in Seoul.
I think you don't need subway to go around those palaces or malls nearby Somerset.
Their breakfast also good with big screen TV and free WIFI access.
Front desk also very friendly & helpful!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank sarahanoi
Eddie_Bae_RM, Manager at Somerset Palace Seoul, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear Sarahanoi

A kind: ‘thank you’ for reviewing us so favorably here at Tripadvisor. It is encouraging for the team and me, to be provided with such a positive encouragement by our Guest(s). When travels brings you back from Hanoi to Seoul, feel free to call in with me ahead of time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have stayed at the Somerset Palace four times in recent years. Each time I have been extremely pleased. Its location can't be beat: walking distance from several subway stops, the royal palaces, Insa-dong (Mary's Alley), and the heart of the city. The efficiency units have little kitchens, and along with the complimentary breakfast, that cuts down on the food bill. There are, course, numerous restaurants both in house and nearby, so one does not go hungry. Staff is efficient and helpful. If you are looking for a pampered experience at a luxury property, this is not it, It is,, however, a great value and a very comfortable place. It will remain my go-to place in Seoul for the foreseeable future.

Room Tip: No really bad rooms, but rooms overlooking Kyongbok Palace or Chogye-sa temple have more interesting...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BUFFETBUSTER
Dear Buffetbuster,

thanks you very much for: 'hitting the nail on the head'...(multiple times) on the what our property is and represents. It is assuring to note that our intended proposition is appropriately being recognized.

Appreciate your time and effort to state the below here in writing to our benefit and once you are heading back to our property, for the fifth time, please feel free to call in with me ahead of time.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Reason for choosing this hotel: I need a two bedroom suite for three adults and a child. Traveling in the summer for 11 days I figured we should rent a service apartment with washer and dryer.

Cleanliness is the utmost basic requirement for hotels. The towels including bath mat and bath robes provided in this facility are all overdue for replacement. They are full of unbelievable stains in all different colors with original white color but all turned grey. All the kitchen utensils need a good wash. Housekeeping is bare minimum. They made up your bed and clear out the garbage. The glasses for tooth brushing were just turned back upside down without cleaning at all at any day of our stay. The refrigerators were full of kimchee smell. The washer/dryer ( 2-in-1 unit) can only work as a washer as nothing ever get dried with the drying function. Even after three drying cycles nothing is dried. There’s only one wired internet cable and no WIFI at all in the rooms. WIFI is only available at the lobby and 2nd floor where you can find the breakfast dining room, playroom, etc. You do get two 500ml bottles of water every day. I do like the room being well lit.

I usually left the hotel by 9am but I stayed longer til noon in the weekend. That’s when I found out the hotel air circulation is really bad. The cigarette smoke came through the room for the whole morning. I was suffocating from second hand smoke for hours.

I found my 1’ x 1’ laundry bag missing. I placed them on top of the washer/dryer where there was nothing else on top but my laundry bag. I planned to wash them when I got back in the afternoon. So I called the housekeeping to find out what they did to my laundry bag. We could hardly communicate with each other. Eventually, it was found shoveled behind the washer/dryer. My laundry bag compared to the size of the washer/dryer is pretty small. There was really no reason for anyone to be carelessly shoveled it to the back of the washer/dryer. I was told someone who I assumed management would come up to the room, again I assume apologizing. I waited and waited. No one ever showed up. I left the room to go out for dinner. I came back to the room and checked for messages. Nothing.

I ended up moving out of this accommodation and moved to a different hotel after the 5th day.

Room Tip: To prepare yourself to stay at this hotel, this is the shopping list for your stay. These items are...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Eddie_Bae_RM, Manager at Somerset Palace Seoul, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear TravelPuggy,

Thanks for taking time and effort to review us here, unfortunately, your review is also an equal: ‘OMG’ to me and our team. Certainly not in accordance to the kind of quality and value we pride ourselves to offer in return to our Residents. Hence, a thorough: apology is appropriate, which I like to hereby extend to you wholeheartedly.
In order to avoid a lengthy engagement here towards the various matters listed, may I suggest we take up a further exchange on your stay with me directly: ‘off-line’ via my email: eddie.bae@the–ascott.com
Accordingly we can exchange matters in greater detail and understanding better.
kingston
Reviewed June 21, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was absolutely everything it said it was and more. Great location at city center, very well run, great breakfasts every day, a well above average workout facility etc. Rooms/apartments are not plush, but very comfortable - exactly what you should get in a long stay facility. Only quibble - lack of wifi Internet in rooms. Only available in lobby and second floor. This is an upgrade the hotel will have to invest in soon if it wants to stay competitive. Otherwise it was great to stay at a property that you get what is advertised!

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank socrates1375
, Manager at Somerset Palace Seoul, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Socrates1375

Thank you most sincerely for your equally: ‘amazing’ review, here. It is indeed a delight for the property to be properly recognized for what we truly are and deliver as a service-product. Doing the opposite would be most inappropriate for us to do.
You will be happy to note that the: “wifi” service extension for individual service apartments is scheduled to be in place: later in the year. At a time, I hope to be able to welcome you back to Seoul and our property, again.
Reviewed June 17, 2012

After a great 1,5 month stay at Somerset we must say that it's personnel are extremely helpful, very accommodating and really willing to run the extra mile. We checked out and moved today to our own rented place and bought a king size bed but could not source bedsheets for that size. We call Jack the front desk rep and told him we left our pillows behind and also about the bedding issue. He arrange to source king size bedsheets at a minimum charge for us and sent these along with our pillows with the shuttle bus to Itaewon near our new place. (BTW Somerset has a very convenient and free bus shuttle service that takes you to different parts of the city). I'm externally thankful and will always recommend Somerset to everyone coming to Seoul.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Diego M
Eddie_Bae_RM, Manager at Somerset Palace Seoul, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Hello ‘DiegoMChile’

Much obliged to find your highly appreciated service-extension anecdote as provided by our Team member Jack in your favor. It is indeed, those ‘small thing’ which make the difference between a: good stay and a memorable one. Hope your residency in Itaewon will be equally rewarding, if not there will always be a ‘second home’ for you at the Somerset.
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I paid US$200 a night for 3 nights at this room. Having never been to Seoul, I was choosing between the downtown Lotte Hotel and this hotel. Both were selling at that time for approximately US$200 per night.

The building looks first class from the night. Inside the lobby looks like a low budget housing project. The lobby looked an apartment lobby (as compared to a hotel lobby). The staff at the time of check-in did not look presentable. The room smelled of smoke and was so hot (this was in April 2012) when I entered. The air conditioner took 15 minutes to cool the room. The bathroom was not cleaned well. The shower curtain looked dirty. Parts of the bathtub were peeling off; the bathtub did not look clean. The bed is fairy small. The booklet on the hotel was in a shabby looking leather folder that looked like a photo album from 1960. If you're out here for a little luxury, don't count on it. It's like staying in a low budget housing project for $200 a night. Pay $75 more and go to the Hyatt (which I did on my last night to make up for this yuckky place).

Expedia advertised that there was wireless in all rooms. This was false. Wireless is available only in the lobby and the second floor.

The rooms were not cleaned well by housekeeping. The bathroom was left a mess.

I was very unhappy with my stay and felt deceived by the pictures and description posted on Expedia. This hotel is at the level of a Best Western hotel and should be charging less. DO NOT STAY AT THIS PROPERTY.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank r c
Eddie_Bae_RM, Manager at Somerset Palace Seoul, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear RC,
Appreciate your candid approach towards your stay at our property. Whilst we are indeed an ‘apart-hotel’ hybrid, we pride ourselves on the assorted positive feedback received as posted here in Tripadvisor, amongst others towards our service extensions as well as property product offering.
Whereby we have not been able to live-up to your expectations; it is appropriate for us to apologize for those where we fell short. Certainly would have liked the opportunity to address those matters stated here with you in person during your stay with us, for timely correction and rectification. At this stage, however: ‘turning back the wheels’ is beyond my ability.
On another note, your statement of the property being: “a yukky-place” is perceived as highly inaccurate and inappropriate, as I can vouch to the contrary based on multiple guest feedback over the years of operation which alert to the opposite of your statement.
Thank you for drawing the attention to the Expedia website statement regarding: ‘wireless’. Indeed this is incorrectly listed on their site and is being rectified as this message is being posted.
Whilst I understand based on the above outline, it is unlikely that we will be able to welcome you back to our property, I do encourage you to contact myself as and when your travel direct you back to Seoul. Will be most happy to assist you and/or invite you for a personal discussion on your observations posted here and/or any other arrangements I can be of service to you.
Sydney, NSW
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Our main purpose in visting Seoul, was the Lotus Lantern Festival. Held in May, every year, this hotel is THE BEST positioned to view this spectacle conveniently.
From our window you could see the lanterns lighting up the Jogyesa Temple - the end-point for the parade. A short walk down the street took us to the heart of the parade and we truly soaked in the atmosphere of a joyful, and at times, moving procession.
Now, for the hotel:
Two bedroom apartment, that accommodated our family of five nicely. However, as the children get older, this will no longer do. Two bathrooms are convenient, and the kitchen is well-equipped. A washer/dryer is there to do your laundry. Hanging/drying space is limited, so you will rely on the dryer function.
Breakfast buffet is fresh and tasty. It was great having salad as part of our breakfast! Free WiFi in the dining room meant I could review my morning emails over breakfast.
Great restaurants on the ground floor include Italian and Austrian cuisines.Takeaway pizza from the Italian was literally ready in 7 minutes.
A convenience store on the ground floor can supply you with essentials, as well.
I can't fault this place. As other reviewers have mentioned, the location is fantastic. Service levels are excellent - very helpful and friendly in all aspects.
The only question I would have is, how would I fit my family of five into a room as the kids grow from adolesence to teenager?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Eddie_Bae_RM, Manager at Somerset Palace Seoul, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear ‘thedjlee’,

Lovely to note that you enjoyed the ‘Lotus Lantern Festival, as much as the property. Happy to note also that ‘all others’ worked out in favor to one and all in the party as well. To answer your question: what to do ‘next time’ (when the kids have grown bigger): view the existing options via our company website or alternatively; feel free to call in on me to assist you further, will be my pleasure to assist you.