“Love this place - here are a few tips”
Review of Niagara Hotel

Niagara Hotel
Ranked #261 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Northern California
“Love this place - here are a few tips”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I am currently staying here for a week and picked this hotel based on TA reviews. I could not be more pleased. I travel a lot for both business and personal reasons, and I believe I have pretty high standards. Although I don't use the Best Western chain in the States, the Hotel Niagara is, in my opinion, as nice or nicer than most of the Marriott hotels I typical frequent. You won't be disappointed in the accommodations! And for those who judge a room on its bathroom, lol, this one is great! Modern, marble tile, a stall shower as well as a full tub. I have found everything to be immaculately clean. The hotel design is laid out so that all rooms face the Han River and the view is delightful. My room (1007) is on the tenth floor and the view is just lovely. Over the course of the past few days, I have learned a few things that might be helpful to future visitors:

1. Hotel elevator: to ascend to your floor, you will need to touch your hotel room key card to the "CARD HERE" spot on the elevator panel in order to be able to push your floor number. A good security measure!

2. When you enter the room (especially if you are arriving late at night), you won't find a light switch on the wall as you enter the room. I stumbled around in the dark for a few minutes until I realized the room must have everything on an electronic system that is controlled by my room key card. Sure enough, when you come into the room, there is a little alcove behind the door, and you'll see a red light above a slot where you insert your room key card. Voila, let there be light! It then took me a while to figure out how to turn off the lights while I was still in the room - you'll find a little black box next to the phone on the bedside table which has buttons that you press to turn off the lights. When you leave your room and take your room key out of the slot, everything powers off. You certainly won't misplace your room key when you stay here :)

3. Its June here, and summer has arrived in Seoul--the last few days have been 90 degrees and muggy. Fortunately, the Hotel Niagara has a wonderful A/C system and cooled the room off perfectly; there is a thermostat in the room so you can control coolness to your liking. However, please note: when entering the room after being out all day, you have to call down to the front desk and ask them to engage the A/C system - they must have a master control system to conserve electricity and avoid cooling of rooms when the room is vacant. As soon as you ask them to engage the AC, you will hear the system come on. Its not a big deal, but I believe some reviewers have believed the AC doesn't work - it works fine, you just have to do this simple step. I have also found that at 8am exactly, the A/C shuts off; if I am still in the room, I simply call back down to the front desk and ask them to turn it back on. Easy peasy, and I applaud the hotel for their conservation measures.

4. Taxi tips: I do not speak Korean, and explaining to taxi drivers where I need to go has been my biggest challenge. The first thing I did was have the front desk staff write down for me the hotel name and address on a piece of paper which I could show to the taxi driver when I needed to return to the hotel. A simple task but oh so helpful! Secondly, the staff also helped me write down the Korean directions to places I wanted to go which I could then hand to the driver. If you are out and about and are not sure how to communicate with your cab driver, all the taxis I took offer the ability to talk to a free translator who can help you explain to driver where you need to go.

5. Airporter bus: This hotel is PERFECT for getting to and from Incheon Airport. Bus 6018 literally drops you a few hundred yards from the front door (its easy to roll your bags on the sidewalk to the front door of the hotel). To buy a ticket, look for the Airport Bus ticket booth as you walk exit the door on the arrival floor. Easy and reasonable way to get to the hotel: $15 each way and it takes about 1 hour depending on traffic (and Seoul has a LOT of traffic!!) When its time to return to the airport, you can buy a ticket at the hotel front desk.

6. Miscellaneous: there is a small fridge in the room and housekeeping stocks it with two water bottles a day. With the weather as warm as it is, I found I needed a bit more. There is a Family Mart just down the street -- when you exit the hotel front door, turn right when you reach the side walk and it is one block down (just past the Domino's Pizza place).

Any questions, feel free to ask! Enjoy your visit to Seoul - it is an amazing city (this is my second time here) and the people are so so friendly!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Andi-Rosevile

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed February 9, 2013

A nice and clean hotel with helpful and kind stuff. the location was very good as it was near to my local host office. nearby there are many different restuarents. it is not really the center of seoul but if you are looking for an hotel in this area, it can be a very good choice. price is not very low though i have nothing to compare with other hotels in the same level in Seoul.

Room Tip: All rooms have view to the river so it is really doesnt matter
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank niko20
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The view of the Han river, with speedboats and sailboats on weekends buzzing, is an awesome sight! Stayed on the upper floors with view of the Northern mountains, how magestic! Think

Stay(ing) there long term on an overseas assignment. Am glad to call this place home. The hotel may lack 5 star facilities like swimming pool and gym, but is surrounded by accessible public transport, 5 mins from subway and lots of eateries nearby.

Room Tip: Higher floors, all rooms face the river anyway.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GaijinMan
Swan Hill, Australia
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Visited Seoul to attend a friends wedding. The hotel is modern and has very nice decor. However we were very disappointed with the breakfasts. The breakfast is typical buffet style , however on inpection it was not very appealling . We had to ask for food to be replentished and this was still not very good quality. I am not a fussy eater and a big breakfast eater however after paying $17 Aus the first morning and being disappointed we chose to have coffee and pastry from the street at half the price for the remainder of our 5 day stay, if breakfast was improved I would say this hotel was a pleasant place to rest your head, the rooms were quiet , we had a view of the river and the staff pleasant and spoke good english.

Room Tip: If you need tonic water for your duty free gin, the hotel does not have so buy in the street
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mahzy_11
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed November 4, 2011

My experience in this hotel was a good one. It has one of the best view of Han River. I was there during the Kintex Exhibition 2011. The breakfast was the same through out the whole week, but it was ok. It would be much better, if they had kept different varities. The rooms were clean, well organised. Room service was good. Good english channels on TV were missing. The free wired internet & wifi is a good facility. You can get iron board on demand. Overall it was a nice Hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Higher the Floor the better is the view of Han
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 19, 2010

It's reasonable business hotel in the western of Seoul which is not very far from GMP airport. I often stayed here for my work so I didn't pay for myself and it's always already organized for me. It has great view of Han river and new subway station also not very far. Bad breakfast but sometime has good BBQ or buffet dinner including often beers. Some room has a vending machine inside so you can get most of toiletry even condom! Bath tub for all rooms and big bad. Very busy road just near by so always noisy if you ever try open your windows and dusty! Good and fast internet for free in the room. Seoul has many hotels so if I go there myself I will not stay here. ;-)

The basement has some karaoke and massage shop but, not welcome for foreigners and I always wonder what's going on down there. :-)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Koreansk
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed October 10, 2009

This is one of the best value business hotel in Seoul. Rooms are spacious and the overall hotel is quite nice. For the price (bellow US100) it is quite good.
However, there is no direct buses from the airport to the hotel (from Incheon airport you should take a bus to Gimpo airport and then ride 10 min by taxi).

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business