“Disappointing”

Ranked #38 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Beijing, China
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just came back from a long weekend at the Park Hyatt, I don't think we'll be returning.

Pros: Lovely staff -- just really friendly and helpful. Nice breakfast, Great views. Comfy beds.

Cons: Really bad wifi speeds -- bizarrely slow for Korea. The hotel is design nightmare, with little thought of the practicalities (lights sticking out of walls at odd angles, no handle on bathroom door so have to use the coat hook to get leverage to open it etc). You need to take two lifts to get anywhere around the hotel. Not a great location, unless you're on business. The lobby has all the charm of the reception of a mid-tier sports marketing company. No Korean restaurant??? Massively overpriced hotel bar, even though it's just another, slightly depressing, luxury hotel bar in Asia (dingy in the basement, white guy playing bad Elton John covers at the piano etc).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dave5433

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
freshpho
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

The Seoul park Hyatt is designed poorly. In order for the taxi to enter the hotel it must go through an alley. The first floor Entry is underwhelming. This is the most awkward entry I've seen. The Lobby is on the 24 floor. In order to get to our room we have to use certain elevators to reach our room. And if we wanted to go to the first floor to leave we had to go all the way back up to the 24 floor, exit the elevator, go to another elevator. Super inconvenient. This is one if the biggest design fails in hotel history.

We were pleasantly upgraded to a larger room. The room was beautiful! They gave my baby a teddy bear. Very thoughtful. The shower/bath tub was extravagant. There was a hand shower, rain shower, low faucet. The bath tub within the shower is convenient. The wall was made of stone as though you were in a natural setting. I am really blown away with the shower. So much that I would design my next bathroom like the park Hyatt shower.

They offer turn down service and replenish all towels, toiletries and make the bed.

The breakfast food at cornerstone was not that great as compared to the opera at Park Hyatt Saigon. The waffles I ordered were cold because they made them in advance. The croissants were dry. At park Hyatt Saigon the croissants were buttery, warm and fresh. The park Hyatt Seoul cornerstone failed to add variety to the menu. It was the same boring dishes on the regular menu and buffet.

The location is in samseong near gangnam. Very far from the center of the city. About 40 mins taxi or subway. We were around the myeong dong area daily. It is a 12,000 won taxi ride to myeong dong. About USD$12. Or you can take the samseong train next door for 1500 won. They charge you 500 won for the subway card but if you return it to the kiosk you get the 500 won refund.

We came over New Year and there were crazy drunk people. There was this guy who got on our floor and started screaming into his phone and crying. He kept screaming tee-tay. I thought it was cursing. Either way he scared us so we returned to our room until he left.

I stayed here for three nights and am so happy to be returning to Tokyo for the duration of my vacation. Next time I will stay closer to city center.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank freshpho
Rovigo, Italy
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights on a business trip. The hotel is in a lively area close to the tube station. Lobby is on a high floor while restaurants are on the lower floor.
It's quite a business hotel, staff is kind, room was clean and had a very nice and big bathroom with both hot tub and shower. Breakfast food choice was both continental and korean. Only one thing the hotel stands on a big traffic junction so overnight the noise of speeding cars or police/ambulances are a bit. annoying, and this even though I was quite on a high floor.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed December 27, 2013

After four exceptional nights at the Park Hyatt in early November, I can say this is definitely one of my favorite hotels anywhere. My "Park Suite King" room was one of the most comfortable rooms I've experienced, far more spacious, luxurious and livable than the suite I had at the Shilla a few years ago. No room is perfect, however. The floor-to-ceiling windows lack tinting, so be mindful of disrobing without first closing the blinds. Also, the touch controls for the lights and shades are not easy to read, and do not always respond the first time you click on a button. Things I loved included the closet that was accessible from both the bathroom and the bedroom, the rain head shower, and the well-provisioned minibar.

As you would expect in a luxury property, service was a high point of the PH Seoul. One of my complaints with luxury properties in Asia is that the service can be overly-formal and stiff. The PH Seoul hit the right balance of professionalism, being warm and welcoming without coming off as overly friendly (something I generally encounter only in the US), and being discrete. Pick up the phone, and it is answered in one ring. Need something? Someone will be at the door in five minutes. Every encounter with the hotel staff was positive, which speaks highly of the training and management at this property.

As others have mentioned, the physical layout is a bit odd, with the lobby located on the top floor of the hotel, and guest rooms located on the lower floors. Arriving from the street level, this means changing elevators in the lobby in order to access your floor. Fortunately, elevators arrived quickly, so I never had to wait more than a minute or two. Still, I can see where this would get a bit tedious, especially on longer stays.

Like other Park Hyatts, there is an excellent fitness facility, as well as a spa. I did not have a chance to try the spa, but it looked very nice. The fitness center was very well equipped, and never had more than one or two people using it while I was there.

As for dining, the breakfast buffet in the second floor dining room was excellent, and included a great selection of Korean and Western items. Like the rest of the hotel, service was outstanding. We also had dinner and drinks in the Timberhouse one night, which is located in the basement of the hotel. The sashimi platter was delicious, and the drinks surprisingly generous. Finally, we spent quite a bit of time in the lobby bar. The views and service are phenomenal, but the space itself is a bit too austere for my tastes.

The Gangnam location, right above the #2 subway line, is a huge plus, and makes for a very convenient location from which to explore the rest of Seoul. The local neighborhood includes the COEX convention center, Hyundai department store (love the food hall!), and the beautiful Bongeunsa Buddhist temple complex. Transit time between the hotel and ICN was approximately two hours each way, using the hotel's excellent car service. Car service was about $150 each way, via a very comfortable Hyundai Equus. Yes, there are cheaper options, but after 14+ hours in the air, this is the most effortless way to get to the hotel, and well worth the price.

This was my fourth visit to Seoul, and I must say that I am growing very fond of the city, and Korea in general. I definitely look forward to a future opportunity to visit Korea, and I would not hesitate to book the Park Hyatt Seoul again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This was one of my favorite Park Hyatt properties after my first stay for 5 nights in 2010. Unfortunately, I am not sure if I can say the same after this time. Even though I stayed only for 2 nights this time, it was enough for me to see that this property is not what it used to be. Don't get me wrong; it is still quite a nice property in terms of location (for my needs) and overall design and condition of the hotel. However, when I stay Park Hyatt or St. Regis, I want things to be flawless in every way, in particular service. That's the reason why I am willing to pay $$$. I understand that rooms show some wear and tear after several years, but service should be solid regardless. This is the area that I had issues with the most. What happened to Park Hyatt Seoul that I fell in love with at first?

Check-in: Greeted properly and escorted to the lobby. Upgraded to Park Deluxe due to my Diamond status with Hyatt, but decided to change. I requested a few things prior to my arrival which was ready in the original room, but all of them were never transferred to my new room until I made a call. This should have been automatic.

Room & Housekeeping: Although some wear and tear started showing, it was still nice and functional. The bed is rock hard as others have mentioned. Consider asking a mattress topper.

I am a tea drinker. I can't help but noticing that their tea definitely has downgraded. What happened to loose leaf tea? Please upgrade your tea. This kind of small things make upscale properties different from the rest.

Now in terms of cleanliness, on the surface it was clean. The problem started when I wanted to use a hair dryer. When I opened the drawer where the dryer was, I found disgusting BODY hair that does not belong to me. It gets better. When I got room cleaned that afternoon, nothing was refilled - no teabags, cotton swabs, and any toiletery. It was nice that my explicit request was fulfilled (I left a memo asking extra shampoos and conditioners), but shouldn't they check what's empty in the room? I think this is Housekeeping 101. If this happened in Hyatt House or even Regency, I can let it go. But in Park Hyatt? Not acceptable!

Restaurant: I had breakfast at Cornerstone for two days. Great selection of both Korean and western food. Now service could be more improved. Everybody was not so friendly and look very serious. I recalled it was quite different on my first stay.

Staff: Overall, very dry and not friendly. The front desk staff needs to be more welcoming. Whenever I stopped by to get some info, they do their job; but it would really make a difference if they do it with a bit of smile.

Check out: This is what really got me. I thought things could happen here and there. Because of convenient location for me, I really want to return to this property. So I had a nice talk with senior management earlier that day and was willing to let go of everything that happened. The manager let me check out later than my diamond check out time due to what happened during my stay, which I appreciated. The front desk staff never asked me typical check out questions, i.e., how my stay was and whether I need transportation to the airport. He knows I am not from Seoul from my address. How could he not offer to arrange a ride? I didn't need a ride as I have my own, but it doesn't seem right that I was never offered. Night and day from my visit in 2010. They escorted me to the Airport Shuttle Terminal by their van and helped me with my luggage all the way to Asiana check in.

Anyway, I went down with my luggage. My friend was waiting to give me a ride. As I was dragging my luggage, I see three bellhops chatting by themselves. NOBODY was around except me, them, and my friend's car. It's obvious that I am a hotel guest leaving the property. They once looked at me and went back to their chatting. What the ????? I finished loading my bag to the car with my friend's help. I couldn't stand the bellboys, so I had to go there and told them this is not okay. They couldn't say anything. I was stunned. Can someone explain why and how this could happen at a property like this?

I do see some negative reviews from people who had repeated stay. I really do hope that the management addresses issues like this. But before that, I really wonder if this would be my first choice for my next trip to Seoul.

Room Tip: Room facing COEX gives you a better view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank raychicago
Sandusky, Ohio
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I've now stayed several times at the Park Hyatt and find it nearly perfect. The "sky lobby" is a bit cumbersome--anytime you enter the hotel, you must go to the 24th floor (lovely lobby) then go back down on another set of elevators to your room floor. You get used to it but it does waste a bit of time. The rooms are unusual--no work desk per se but always a table which works out fine. Floor-to-ceiling windows make for great view. The large, exposed granite bathrooms are great. The entire hotel is meticulously clean. The staff is very attentive and very knowledgeable--they always know time for a taxi to reach your destination, etc. The hotel cars are very nice and the drivers know where everything is.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for business for 2 weeks and one week coming up in January. Everything is of the highest standards. Staff is atrentive, but not overbearing. They know how to make the simple differences to make the stay memorable (like remembering your breakfast order, or simply getting the lift, etc...). Management is also of the utmost professionalism. From F&B to the general manager - well done gentlemen. Restaurants are quite strong. Breakfast is a wonderful organic experience and well worth an extra few minutes to enjoy prior to work. Gym - good equipment and quality, while a little quiet and small. Only two small inconveniences - lobby is on 24, so there is a little more time on elevators, but this is still quite efficient. And the beds are firm (personal bias), so takes a night to adjust. However, in all my travel you simply can not go wrong at PH Seoul. Enjoy it!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business