“Really enjoyed Jongmyo”

Ranked #40 of 741 things to do in Seoul
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The ancestral shrine of the Choson kings, is one of Korea's most precious cultural monuments. In 1995, UNESCO recognized the value of the shrine by including it on its World Heritage List.
Irvine, California
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Really enjoyed Jongmyo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Like the palaces, the English tours here are limited, I went at 2pm, but I have no idea if they keep the same schedule each day. Six days a week you can only enter with a tour and on Saturday it's open to the public. The tour was fascinating. Jongmyo is a shrine for deceased kings of the last dynasty of Korea. Everything is very symbolic. There were only six people in my tour group and we were the only group in the shrine, so it was a remarkable experience. I wouldn't recommend this for kids, instead I think this is a perfect tour for adult history buffs.

Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A quiet place in a busy city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Jongmyo was a beautiful place to visit. The shrine is surrounded by a great wooded park. It was still snowing when I visited and it added to the atmosphere.
Guided tours are available at various times of the day and you may not be able to enter the shrine without one, so check the times for the right language ahead of time.
The guide was friendly, engaging and very funny at times.
Definitely worth the visit.

Visited February 2013
Singapore
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Even when the tour was in Korean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We didn't have much time so we went with the Korean tour. It is a beautiful solemn place. In the dead winter, it was majestic.

Our guide was kind enough to come to us and explain in a language we understand when she realised we aren't locals.

Well worth it. What a gorgeous, serene place!

Visited December 2012
Busan, South Korea
198 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Not usually one for tours...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

tours are required if you go anytime other than Saturday and I do suggest doing it. You find out a lot more than what the brochure tells you--and I usually skip tours because they take too long and I want to see everything!

The shrine almost constantly expanded, which makes the symmetry quite impressive.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Alexandra M
Los Angeles, California
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 191 helpful votes
“Royal Shrine of the Joseon Dynasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

What we see at Jongmyo Shrine today is largely from the early 17th century. However, as the very long ruling Joseon Dynasty lasted five centuries, the shrine required additional constructions to house the spirit tablets of the monarchs. The site is indeed rather austere and solomn. I enjoyed my visit here, but for someone that loves history, the site by its very nature is less engaging than Changdeokgung or the royal tombs.

Unfortunately, when I visited in 2008, tours were not required and not regularly held. While I knew much of the history, I would have enjoyed a expert guide. As Jongmyo is just next door to Changdeokgung Palace, you can visit both world heritage sites and learn much about royal life in the Joseon dynasty.

Visited March 2012