“Striving for excellence”

Ranked #9 of 471 Hotels in Seoul
sydney
“Striving for excellence”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

I experienced this relatively new hotel for a week in April. As a regular visitor to Seoul I always stay in Myeong-dong however on this occasion and following notification from Marriott Rewards of a new property opening in Dongdaemun I took the opportunity over Easter to discover the properties attributes and if positive revert my future business .
I was met at the airport by the hotels limousine service which was seamless ,comfortable and efficient .
Upon arrival at the hotel the staff greeted me and escorted me to my room which was well appointed and reflected a subdued decor with efficient layout inclusive of the latest touch screen technology.
As a light sleeper I opted for a room change given the hotel is located adjacent to an expressway and my initial room was on a low floor.Although the hotel is only 10 floors I was reallocated two levels higher and made a big difference to the noise and given the rooms double glazing sleep quality was excellent with very little external noise attrition.
The room is well appointed with slightly more area allocated to the bathroom providing a more luxurious experience with a separate bath ,stand-a-lone rain head shower and in-built TV monitor all with high end
specification finishes .
A stand out feature of the rooms is the excellent level of noise attrition between rooms in fact I never heard any noise from the adjoining rooms which is rare but so appreciated.
The food and beverage outlets I experienced were absolutely extraordinary .In particular I would highly recommend Tavola 24 , although I only partake in a minimal breakfast I found the buffet choices to be extensive ,high quality and very well presented in fact equal if not better than the best I have ever experienced.The restaurant provides a relaxed unobtrusive ambience that provides an overall fantastic brunch experience.
The steak house is also excellent ,superb service and extensive menu offering an unexpected variety. Although I did not order steak the seafood I chose was top quality .The costs although relatively high reflect the overall quality.
I had access to the Executive lounge which is beautifully designed .I will preface my comments regarding this facility informing some tweaking is required to bring this lounge up to experience excellence however they are small details that could be attended to with management expertise .The lounge has all the attributes to be top class however it currently lacks some finessing .I cannot comment on the breakfast as I utilized Tavola 24 every day however the afternoon tea service was extraordinary when offered although I was only offered it once during my 6 day stay and I can only infer that there was an absence of lounge staff on the other days.The evening cocktails were very good however the food choices need some improvement with an enhanced daily rotation of varieties offered ,however this is of little consequence.
In summary the hotel is designed with an eye for detail and quality ,the staff are professional and eager to assist,the location is not an issue given the subway is at arms length and on the blue line and the F&B outlets are extraordinary .Overall highly recommended .

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank R170171
Nicholas_Tse, General Manager at JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

We sincerely appreciate your valuable comments with details which will definitely enlighten our future guests.

It is great and exciting for us to learn that your stay was convenient and enjoyable.

We firmly believe our guests should be able to experience our JW service from the moment the reservation is made, first foot down at the airport and until the moment you are safely back home.
It is through the lights of our guests that we learn more of areas to develop and train further – we thank you for sharing your valuable insights which we will be happy to look into for more comfortable stay for you and other guests.

We thank you for your warm compliments on our Food and Beverage outlets which have been very exciting for me and our team to learn.

Thank you again sharing your comments and please feel free to contact me with your next trip plan to Seoul and I will be more than happy to prepare your arrival in person.

Nicholas Tse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed in a room overlooking the eastern gate. The Hotel is situated nicely by the stream and subway station is right next to the Hotel (I can even count how many steps it is from the Hotel entrance to the subway...it is just this close!).
Across the stream, all the clothing shopping mall are there opening till late night.
The Hotel is stylish, new and clean. It gives you a very relaxing and comfortable feeling as the Lobby takes in a lot of natural light.
Staff speak fluent English, they are nice and helpful, especially the Concierge team.
Breakfast in the restaurant is with a huge selection of food, from Western style to Asian style. We love their pastries, muffins and got to sample different Korean dishes. The items they served in breakfast is more than what you would expect and get to start a morning.
When we were there, the Hotel is newly open and not many taxi driver know the location. I suppose the Hotel will be lots more known now, because of the new development in the neighbourhood (like the opening of the Design Plaza).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vivianne T
Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

Thank you for your valuable comments and it is truly exciting to learn your stay with us was enjoyable.

This has been, without a doubt, an encouragement to all of our associates to know how our guests enjoyed the stay, giving us to push ourselves further to provide better service for our guests with JW spirit.

We know it may take a little time but we are putting our best efforts to advertise and familiarize the taxi companies so our guests can travel comfortably.

Dongdaemun Design Park (DDP) – Dream, Design, Play has opened which has been a very exciting news for our guests. This definitely has been another attraction for visit while staying with us.

We sincerely appreciate you sharing your comments with us and please let me know with your next trip plan to Seoul; I will be more than happy to assist you in person.

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We, 3 girls, booked the JW Marriott through the airline travel agency a and half month ago and request a twin bed room plus extra bed.
While we checked in on 17th Apr., did show the order info to the front desk, only got a twin bed room. Everything in the room is for double, not for triple. We found that the hotel didn't be ready for our coming. We could not accept that we paid for three people, but only got the service for two! After strongly complained to the concierge, we finally had the third set bottles water, towels, tooth brush and extra bed. However, you can never image that they placed the bed in front of the TV !
The poor house keeping service was still going on the next few days. Always forgot to replenish the tooth brush, coffee, tea bags... and so on. At the last stayed night, even the toilet paper would be empty, they did not prepare a supplement. The hotel always counts us as 2 people, not 3 people.
At the last moment we stayed, we request concierge to call an "orange" taxi taking us to Seoul Station, just as 2 days ago they did for us. But, this time came a black one. The kindly doorman Walker had to walk outside to call another orange taxi for us. If you know what's the different between these two taxis, you will have same bad feeling like us!

• Stayed April 2014
Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

I would like to express my sincere appreciation for taking time to share your valuable comments.
It is with heavy heart to learn that the stay was not comfortable and we did not meet the expectation.

I personally shared your comments with immediate attention to our management team especially with Operation departments. It may be small details or one request but that can bring comfortable environment and result different stay for our guests which we need to focus on with our full attention.

We are constantly putting our best efforts and focusing on all our guests to enjoy every moment with us. It is our ultimate goal for our guests to feel the comfort with JW service.

If you would allow us for another chance, we would like to ensure your next stay will be a different experience with true JW service. If I can learn of your next planned trip to Seoul, I would like to prepare your arrival in person.

I would like to thank you again for your comments and please let me know if I can be at any assistance via nicholas.tse@marriott.com. I will be more than happy to be at your service.

California
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I have stayed at this JW twice. It is a brand new facility--the guest rooms were modern, pool/spa (one of the best!), nice executive lounge, breakfast on 2nd floor was excellent! The staff were friendly, but they do appear to be understaffed. Special mention goes out to Susan (CSM) and Oliver (Exec. Chef) who were outstanding! Some teething problems being a new facility including temperature control in the room. The lobby is smallish (compared to massive lobby of the other JW in Seoul). Literally above the subway which is a plus given the Seoul traffic.

Note, kids under 18 are not allowed in the spa nor the executive lounge which is not noted on the website. One of the best in central Seoul, and better than the other JW across the river.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Dongdaemum gate. If you get access to the executive lounge, ask for Mumms cha...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 4NDude
Nicholas_Tse, General Manager at JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

Thank you for your valuable comments and it is truly exciting to learn your both stays with us were enjoyable.

Thank you so much for enjoying our facilities, amenities and services during your stay with us.
Your great comments with special attention to our associates, Susan and Oliver have been such an encouragement to all of our associates. It always gives us such an encouragement for us to push ourselves further to provide better service for our guests with JW spirit.

Our team with special attention to our Engineering and Marketing teams has been shared for us to take immediate actions to ensure all information is convenient and room facilities are comfortable to use.

We sincerely appreciate you sharing your comments with us and please let me know with your next trip plan to Seoul via nicholas.tse@marriott.com; I will be more than happy to assist you in person.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 26, 2014

LOCATION - 5 star. Excellent, steps away to Dongdaemum shopping esp shops open till 5am. Subway Dongdaemum station (exit 8) is almost adjacent to hotel. New urbanised landmark, DDP is again steps away. Running track to famous Naksan Hill. HOTEL FEATURES & SERVICES - 5 star, impeccable service from bell man, receptionist, concierge, executive lounge, restaurant, spa & pool receptionist.. the whole team is young, energetic and speak good English. They went extra mile & smile. CLEANLINESS - 5 star. VALUE - 5 star, best breakfast, widest range of food ever in the world, egg benedict, Korea, Japan, Quality cheese, ham & cold cut, fresh fruits & vegetables juice, cut fruits & yogurt well refrigerated, spread of muffin and many more. ROOM AMENITIES - coffee maker with 4 complimentary capsules. Nice bathrobe & slipper. Loccitane toiletries pack. Separate standing shower room from bath tub. OVERALL - 5 star.
Gary from Singapore

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank GaryYen
Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

It is truly heartwarming to learn that your stay with us was enjoyable – allowed to be your best choice is very honored and flattering!

Your comments have been a tremendous encouragement to all of our associates to know how our guests enjoyed the stay and felt valued for the stay.

We will be pushing ourselves further for our guests to enjoy every moment with us with true JW service.

Thank you again for sharing your valuable comments with us and please let me know if I can be at any assistance via nicholas.tse@marriott.com. I will be more than happy to be at your service.

We look forward to welcoming you back in near future!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

A brand-new hotel conveniently located, serviced by a team of smart and fully trained up professionals knowing what to do and what guests would be expecting.

Service at the Executive Floor Lounge is particularly good and we spent most of our time here enjoyng the ambience and excellent hospitality. Staff are politie, English conversant and smiling all the time. The electric stove running to keep food stay warm and fresh. The island and the long dining table make you feeling at home. The food choices here are not huge but great and the chef keeps changing the choices. Food quality is really good, be it breakfast (we tried abalone, mushroom and seafood porridge on different days), high tea, happy hour or night snack. Anytime you open the fridge, you will find lots of mouth-watering items. We tried all five different favours of house gelato!!

Thanks to Carolle, Lindsey, Olivia, Igor (and others) for taking good care of us during our 5-day stay here and showed us where to eat and go. Special thanks to Iny who has been very accommodating and made special arrangements to ensure our stay comfortable and pleasant.

We would not hesitate to return Seoul for a short break and this hotel will definitely be our first choice for the next visit.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Nicholas_Tse, Manager at JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

I sincerely apprecite your valuable comments which I have to express how I was proud of our team while reading your review.

Your great comments with special attention to our associates, Carroll, Lindsey, Olivia, Igor and Iny have been such an encouragement to all of our associates. Learning how our guests enjoyed while staying with us brings excitement for us to push ourselves further for continuously improving JW service.

Thank you again and please let me know with your next trip plan to Seoul via nicholas.tse@marriott.com; I will be more than happy to assist you in person.

Shanghai
Reviewed April 21, 2014

JW Dongdaemun completely lives up to the JW reputation! The staff was very knowledgeable, prompt, polite and friendly. The hotel has a beautiful simple design and decoration, yet very classy. Everyone spoke wonderful English and were eager to serve/assist. Our rooms were spacious, very clean and organized. Well outfitted as expected. L'occitane amenities in the rooms, Chocolates at turn down, always a nice JW touch. The view of East Gate was nice as well. The location is good but maybe not excellent. However, that being said I am not sure what location would be better as Seoul is quite big so if you intend to go sight seeing you will be all over town anyway. the subway station is right in front of the hotel and very user friendly, and cheap! The food in the lounge was quite good, however we were disappointed that during our stay we were told that Children are no longer allowed in the lounge so after 3 days of using it we could no longer go to the lounge with the children. I completely understand this policy (to a degree). My husband travels for Business more than 100 nights a year at Marriott properties. And it is disrupting to have children being loud, running around etc. However, our Children are not permitted to behave that way. And if they do act that way they get one warning and we leave the lounge. We've taken our Children into the lounge for years at many hotels and never had a problem. This is probably the main reason I only gave 4 stars. We did enjoy our stay and look forward to staying there on our next trip to Seoul!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Warm greetings from JW Marriott Dongdaemun Square Seoul!

We sincerely appreciate your valuable comments and it is very heartwarming to learn that you and your family’s stay was enjoyable.

We are truly glad that our preparations of room amenities and service assisted your stay a little more enjoyable.

It is very true that the convenience of hotel location may vary among guests depending on planned destinations or activities. Adjacent connection to the subway and walking distance to shopping malls may assist our guests with convenience while staying with us – we are happy that you have tried and enjoyed Seoul metro system.

I would like to apologize for your disappointment on our Executive lounge access and sincerely appreciate your kind understanding. We had to make a very difficult decision to provide exclusive and business environment but at the same time, comfortable for our guests at Executive lounge.
But as we value family guests especially little ladies and gentlemen – we have prepared a different program for them to be exclusive as well.

Thank you again for your encouraging and learning comments. Please feel free to contact me when you have confirmed dates for your next trip plan to Seoul via nicholas.tse@marriott.com and I will be more than happy to prepare your arrival in person.