“The worst I have ever stayed”
Review of New Kukje Hotel

New Kukje Hotel
Ranked #123 of 552 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I never forget this hotel. We came here from Japan in December 2008. We got a small smoky room with no windows(!). On our last day, we wanted to take a quick shower at midnight, because of our early departure (5am) the next morning. Outside was freezing cold, but unfortunately, we had no hot water running in our room. We called the reception and after 30 min of waiting, 2 men showed up and started dismantling the shower area in our bathroom. It took them about 1 hr to fix the water, we got a quick shower and went to bed at around 2am. The last surprise came in the morning, when they wanted to charge for the otherwise free toothbrush and toothpaste. I got angry and paid nothing for it while questioning them about the issue we had the previous night. Unfortunately they didn't seem to understand English, so our guide had to translate for us. First and last stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Hotel very good placed center of Seoul, easy to reach from airport using air-express or metro.
Have shop at first flour and amazing view from roof at 16th flour.
Price for night is not cheap, but in hotel even not offer toothbrushes.
Near with hotel you can find Starbucks (just turn the corner), MC and many other restaurants and cafe.
Also hotel very close to 2 old palaces and not far from street market.

Room Tip: You can ask for high floor, to reduce street noise. If you get low floor, don't worry you can e...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Serg Z
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We were actually thinking of booking another hotel, but it seemed that even 4-star hotel rooms in Korea have a tendency to be small. We picked this hotel mainly because of the price, size of room and location.

We arrived hours before check-in time (around 8am). We planned to stroll around the area to kill time but we were pleased when we were allowed to go to the room that early to get some much needed rest before starting our tour without the extra charge. We got the Standard Room with a Double Bed. Room didn't seem so "new" but it was adequate. There were free bottled water, plus if you needed hot water (or more cold water) you can get some in a dispenser located in each floor. Other room features include temperature control, bathtub, refrigerator and flat screen TV -- pretty much everything you would need for your trip. Wifi in each floor was also available.

The hotel is a 2-minute walk away from the Subway (Exit 4, Line 1) and a short stroll away from a lot of tourist spots such as Gyeongbokgung, Gwanghwamun Sqaure, Seoul Square, Cheongyecheon Stream. Myeongdong will be about a 20-minute walk away but we chose to ride the subway. There's also a convenient store and coffee shop located in the ground floor.

I wouldn't mind staying at this hotel again, but I'd like to try out the other hotels Seoul has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LJDS27
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The only good things about this hotel are the location and decent sized rooms for the price. The service is non-existent. I guess one should't expect much from a budget hotel in Korea, but when I first walked in with all my luggage, the two people at the counter were frantically looking for something and didn't even greet me for a very long time. I had to ask if I could check in, and they seemed very annoyed, as if I were interrupting them. After that, I didn't have too many issues until today. They only give one key per room, and I came in the middle of the day to unload some stuff before going back out. My friend had the key, and the front person that had to go up the elevator with me to let me in started lecturing me about not making arrangements to leave the one key at the counter. LECTURING me, because he was disgruntled that he actually has to do something. I told him that I have never in my entire life been to a hotel that only gives one key per room, and then gets mad at the guests about not leaving the key in the front when such a system was NEVER explained. Whatevers, New Kukje. I will not be using this hotel again for any of my bi-annual business trips to Korea.

Also, this place does not clean. I stayed for 9 nights; they only make the bed and change out the towels. They do not change the sheets or blankets. They do not wipe anything down. Gross.

Room Tip: The rooms are quiet; just choose the one that fits your occupancy needs and you should be fine.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Plus point is definitely its proximity to the metro, shopping and eateries, even though we did not explore the surrounding much (although we were in Seoul for 2 nites) we were on a 7-8 days packaged tour in Korea. Hence if you need a place to sleep here and spend most of the time outside (which should be) then this hotel should fit you.

I don't agree this is a budget hotel, although the rooms are a little small, but given the price offered in some sites like Agoda (around Usd 70-100), everything works ok for us except for the heater/aircond in the room - there seems to be no floor heater (unlike some hotels here) and the aircon set to the highest temp, did not warm the room enough for us (we stayed in 8-10 Dec'12 , the onset of cold winter).
Unable to bring up the temp to a warm comfort level, our sleep was compromised, otherwise, everything else seems to work fine. We did call the technician to take a look but it seems they could not do much...

Room Tip: Make sure the room heater works if you are there during winter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Johnmagfam
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Amazing customer service. I've been to almost all the hotels in Korea, and this one seems to be the most reasonably priced, convenient, and the cleanest budget hotel. The Buffet is awesome and awesomely priced as well. I like their family suites, definitely sheek and nicely renovated.

I will definitely be back

Room Tip: Family suite is worth it!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Excellent Hotel, Very Clean and located in the middle of Myeong-Dong. I Heard this hotel just finished the renovation. I think the other review was outdated so it is not fair for the other to put a bad review of this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business