“First-timer in Korea”

Ranked #12 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Aalborg, Denmark
“First-timer in Korea”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This was my first time to visit Korea and i decided to rely on Tripadvisor in search for a hotel. Metro hotel popped up and I decided it based on the good reviews and the reasonable price. And I do not regret :-)

I stayed at Metro Hotel from 15-21 march and I enjoyed the central location of the hotel - easy access to metro and easy to change metro-line. I was curious about the rooms and breakfast since those topics have been mentioned in the reviews. I booked the smallest non-smoker room available and very sufficient for a single person. I spent all my time exploring Seoul and was so tired in the night that i didn't really pay attention to the noise from the streets on few of the days.
Complementary breakfast was good and sufficient to get the day started and otherwise Seoul is full of eateries, cafés and restaurants.

I got a call a few days before departure to confirm my arrival and during my stay a similar great service was provided. English was sufficient (i have nothing to compare with) but it was not easy for them due to me being Korean by appearance :-)

I noticed these cards to put on the bed (or for towels) wether or not you want to get new bed sheets etc. I placed a "no need to change" since it wasn't necessary but everything were changed.

This is not last time to visit Metro Hotel and would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank HCDK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Right in the heart of Seoul's Myeongdong's shopping district! The hotel staff can speak very good English and are very accommodating. I had been corresponding with the hotel directly prior to our arrival and they have been most helpful. Special mention to Emily, Lebecca and Aeri.

We initially asked for a non-smoking premium room (as there were 4 of us sharing one room), however, they only had smoking rooms available. I read in one of the reviews here on Tripadvisor that they asked the staff to sanitize their smoking room, so that is exactly what I did. I asked the hotel to sanitize the room as best they can. And they were able to sanitize it to my satisfaction (I am very averse to the smell of smoke!).

They also helped us booked a restaurant for dinner and were able to help as navigate around the city. I would recommend this hotel for people who want to have a clean (albeit spartan) hotel room, reliable, quick and FREE in-room wifi, and most especially for people who like to have the convenience of having shops and restaurants within the same area as the hotel.

I would stay at Metro Hotel again when I come back to Seoul.

Room Tip: Email the hotel directly.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lilmisshar
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Mar 3-5
This hotel is a solid choice for a first-timer in Seoul. The access from the Incheon airport is cheap and easy with the #6015 bus to within a 5" walk to the hotel's entrance. The hotel isn't large or splashy, like the neighborhood, but cozy and quiet, off the main street in Myeongdong, where the action is.
There is an Outback off the lobby and a pizza joint adjacent. A 7-11 is a 3" walk and always open. The subway is also conveniently located nearby. The lobby front desk is manned all day and night with an additional security man. The single elevator is very fast. It is in a very safe neighborhood.
We were in #616, a large deluxe, for about $143/night. There is no view. The bed is very comfortable. The décor is modern. There is plenty of hot water with a strong spray. The bathroom is larger than most.
The included breakfast is very nice with hot items as well that change daily. Located on the top floor, the resto has a panoramic city view. As we had to leave earlier than the 7:00 opening time for the DMZ-JSA tour, the staff was very kind to prepare coffee and pastries to take away.
This property did everything right for us.
I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alohatripper
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed in this hotel after checking trip TripAdvisor reviews. Hotel is in a good location for tourists. Street market at the door step that goes on all night and endless amount of places to eat that you can choose from.
Breakfast was very basic with little choice but had a nice view of the neighbourhood. Also the service in the hotel is excellent, they are always ready to help with a smile.
Only complaint would be the rooms. They are in a dire need of a renovation. Very old and uninviting. What was odd is the fact that they don't have disposable slippers or a kind you can wash, they have vinyl or leather ones that all guest have to share. No thanks. Considering the price i think it's a OK choice but personally i would not go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
UAE
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the Metro after reading Trip advisor reports , and it performed very well in all respects . Compared with other good hotels in this central Seoul location it is very good value ,even with one of the better rooms . It is clean ,well managed and efficient ,close to airport bus stops , masses of restaurants and shopping areas .
Breakfast is quite acceptable albeit more limited in scope / variety.
We would happily return - great value , comfortable and friendly .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We chose Metro Hotel as our first stop on our trip to South Korea based on its great ratings on TripAdvisor, and we were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived, we were given excellent service in every way. The room was not large by American standards, but it was clean and well supplied with very nice bed linens and high quality towels at a fraction of the price of some of the similar rooms in the big name hotels. Please note that Korean beds are more firm than beds in hotels in the US; however, we slept very well. Breakfast was included in the price, and it was excellent. A full range of both American and Korean offerings were available. The breakfast alone would entice us to stay there again. From the hotel it was easy to get to the subways to travel around Seoul. It is located very conveniently for visiting the Gyeonbokgung Palace, the Changdeokgun Palace, and the Jongmyo shrine.

Many compliments to the front desk staff, particularly Aeri, Lebecca and Emily, who were very helpful about answering all our questions, both before our arrival and during our stay. :-)

We recommend the Metro Hotel highly and would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: The view is better from the higher floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
singapore
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed here just last week with my husband. We had a wonderful stay. Location is excellent, just a few minutes from the subway (even though there is a long flight of stairs), and right at the door step of all the food and shopping. While other people would have to allocate one day to cover Myeongdong, we were able to walk about almost everyday after dinner. All the cosmetic and fashion brands are located in the area.

Room was clean and provided all the amenities we needed. Service was friendly, helpful and efficient. They called 2 days before to confirm the reservation; when we had a problem with the wifi, they sent someone up right away, and when we wanted help to book a kimchi class, they called to make the booking for us. I enjoyed the breakfast very much - even though it wasn't a big spread, it was more than sufficient and tasted good, especially the croissants. I appreciated the effort made to vary some of the items. In any case, Seoul is full of good food and you want to save your stomach for the lovely food and street snacks!

Only two tiny things marred an otherwise perfect stay, but not enough to reduce the rating. First, the room we managed to get was a Standard A room, which was very tiny. Thankfully, we are not big sized and could get by, but not without some scrapes here and there. Highly recommend paying a bit more for the slightly bigger room. Second, the wifi was unstable for us, but as Seoul has plenty of wifi spots, it wasn't too much of a problem.

So, our overall stay was still excellent, and I would go back there again.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a slightly bigger room!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple