“old and outdated”

Ranked #356 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
hong kong
“old and outdated”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

more than 30 years. Old and outdated. A so called ginseng spa at the basement. BUT charged and not worth the money. At Itaewon. 7-11 shop and a 24 hr shop next door.A few small restaurants as well. The korean restaurant offered good food at reasonable price. Suppose free wifi at lobby.BUT very very slow and always disconnected. Advice to turn off the heater and open a slit of the window to allow air coming in to avoid stuffiness of the room.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jchu88888

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed December 21, 2011

As I have just returned from my trip to Korea, I have stayed in several hotels in Seoul and also Busan. I would like to write a review on Hotel Capital -located at Itaewon, one of the hotspots for shopping in the world. The temperature there was below 0! I was not used to the temperature as I have always lived in Malaysia, a hot and humid country.
Well in this five-day-four-night stay, this hotel I stayed in was not as glamorous as other five-star hotels. I guess my parents chose this hotel as it was cheaper than the other hotels out there and it suited my parents’ budget. The facilities are well-equipped – they beds are comfortable and they are well-maintained. Throughout my stay, I was satisfied with the hotel staff except for once when I tried to order their Japanese Abalone Porridge!
To be honest, when I dialled the Room Service, they told me to call the Front Desk; when I called the Front Desk, they again told me to ring the Bell Desk; finally, I had to call the Room Service before they could take my order. It was so troublesome just to place my order. In simple words, I just said that I want a bowl of Japanese Abalone Porridge but they could not understand a single word I said to them. In order to satisfy me, they sent one of their humble staff, to ask me about it. Again, their lack of understanding the English language sparked up some difficulties of communication. Eventually, abided by to this situation, I called for the oatmeal that they suggested. What I got was what I least expected – the oatmeal was utterly tasteless!
I was a tad upset with what I got but I had no alternatives so I just had to take what I was given. Anyway, I can’t blame them for failing to understand a dish in their own menu because they are not exposed to the English language and barely speak it.
Apart from that experience I had, I couldn’t enjoy my stay to the fullest as I was down with diarrhoea and earlier on vomiting. So, most of the time was spent at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank JosephHeng
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I stayed at the Capital Hotel from the 12th to the 16th of December. We chose this hotel as this was within our budget. I did not use the room much during the day as I spent most of my time sightseeing around Seoul and visiting places of interest but I had a comfortable and pleasant 6D5N stay at the hotel and I slept well during the nights. The bed was good – neither too hard nor too soft. I went there during the winter and it was freezing cold. I am a Malaysian and therefore, am not used to the sudden drop in temperature. Luckily, the hotel had good heaters unlike another hotel I stayed at before moving to this one and the water heater in the bathroom was also not too bad. I was able to take showers without much of a problem in the winter cold.

However, they only provided us breakfast for the first day and I thought they would provide us breakfast for a few more days as we were there for quite some time. The location is not very good if you travel around frequently as we had to either take a 10-minute walk or take a cab to the nearest subway station, Noksapyeong or if not, we had to take a cab to our destination. But the hotel was located opposite a 7-Eleven store and a few restaurants, so it was convenient for us to get some food or some essential items we needed.

Besides, when we wanted to order some food (the food was tasty and satisfying though pricy), we encountered some communicating problems as the staff on the phone didn’t have a good grasp of English and therefore, it was tough communicating with him. Nevertheless, the house keeping was good as the lady who cleaned our room was efficient and friendly. Overall, I think this is a good hotel to choose if you are on a budget. It is decent albeit not glamorous. On a scale of 5, I would rate it 3.5.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank teikpeng
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Stayed here as part of a Korea tour from Taiwan.

During the half of the trip, we got room 908. The furnishing in this room can only be described as French frill. Large picture window over looking the front of the hotel. There are 2 Korean restaurants across the street as well as two convenience stores--7-Eleven and CVS.

Our room was 2 single beds, contains a fridge, hair dryer and an electric tea kettle. The security lock on the door was broken. We got 2 free bottles of water each day (350ml). Plenty of lamps in the room but still poorly lit. Unique thing in the room was the Skyline Reel escape ladder. I've never seen that in a hotel room before.

Bathroom was clean, like the room. Plenty of counter space but very low. Expect to be bent nearly double over the sink. The only provided toiletry was soap.

Towards the end of our Korea tour, we got room 1019. The bathroom was set up as same as before but the bedroom furniture was not the frilly type. Still poorly lit. The large picture window overlooks the side of the hotel towers Seoul Tower. The window pane was so dirty I couldn't tell if it was overcast or sunny.

I don't believe it was walking-distance close to either the metro or Itaewon. Nothing interesting was near the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tardykat
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed October 17, 2011

A very nice hotel which is far removed from the hustle of downtown Seoul. You would need good knowledge of the Korean Subway system though so that you don't spend too much on taxi when travelling downtown or whichever way around the city.

Room Tip: The reservations desk can accommodate most of your requests to just specify it during check-in.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank emancusi
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed August 10, 2011

It's old and overpriced. But what isn't in Seoul?

Expect the standard hard Korean style beds. Kind of like sleeping on boards. Rooms are dated and the heating doesn't work properly. In fact, the heat is balls to the wall and really overheats the room to about 84 degrees. The only way to turn it off is to have your key card inserted in the slot by the door. As soon as you leave and remove your card, the heat automatically turns on. Nevertheless, we had to keep our windows open during our stay. Since the Koreans like their heat, it was a constant battle between the maid service closing our windows and us opening them when we returned.

Hotel is just outside the gate from Yongsan base. It's a quick 10 minute walk to the gate. I would have chosen the Dragon Hill Lodge, but it was not available during that time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank csjedi
Jakarta
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I stay there with a tourist group. Check in around 9 pm and it was a bit of a crowd too. It is true located near the south korean's defense department.

Check in was a bit slow, and I got a room with no aircon. Called the reception and a bellboy came to check. He is very nice but speak very little english. Looked a bit panic knowing the room's ac is not working (I supposed for quite a long time) and I was in that room. The room supposedly is for my tour leader. He kindly offer the fan and noded several times to check if I am Ok. The courtesy I seldomly got during my stay in Korea.

Room is old, 30 years+ I think. Quite well maintained but still feels old.breakfast though Is very various many western and international food. Don't forget to have a delicious seaweed soup.

Across the road there is a 24 h convenient store with very ‎​‎​good wifi. A bit down the road there are soime restaurants, pizzas,steaks, local food-noodles and soups.
If you got there earlier you want to go to itaewon market 20 mins walk to experience local
Market.