“OK Hotel - good value, a few problems”
Review of Astoria Hotel

Astoria Hotel
Ranked #206 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Seoul, South Korea
“OK Hotel - good value, a few problems”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Thank you to other Tripadvisor reviewers! I had a very good idea of what to expect going into this hotel, so I suppose my review will be similar...

This hotel is a good value and is in a good location. It's almost next door to Hanok Traditional Village, a quick taxi ride around to the major tourist spots, and not too far from Itaewon, the National Museum, Namsan Tower (there's a bus stop 50m down the street), etc. For my parents visiting Korea for the first time, it was a good choice for them. Friendly staff, clean, and a fair price considering other hotels in the area.

There were, however, a few annoyances...Firstly, no Wifi. It seems like every traveler these days really appreciates WiFi, and I imagine it can't be all that expensive to set it up in a hotel of this size, I don't really understand how they're skipping out on that.

Secondly, I knew from other reviews there were problems with the rooms being hot. My parents stayed in October, so I was hoping it wouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately the days were quiet warm. The front desk told us they had already turned off the air conditioning in the building (no single units in the rooms, very unusual for Korea) so there was no possibility to turn it on. The afternoons were uncomfortable for taking a break in the room. After 2 days of this, we randomly asked them if we could have a fan after seeing one in the lobby, and they quickly let us use one...why couldn't they have offered that 2 days before??

Lastly, although it's not that important, the TV was very old, small, and the limited number of channels were grainy and blurry. Not the highest on my priorities, but again like the WiFi, it seems like a small investment in TVs that aren't 30 years old and decent cable would improve the quality of the room. Fairly small problems during a nice stay, but enough to drop the rating.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Julbo09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hotel is total value for money, what makes it is the great location and the very helpful and freindly staff (they even remained polite whilst a rude guest wouldnt listen). This has the basics, shower, kettle, tv with a couple of English channels - BBC,CNN, very comfortable bed, room service and telephone. What it didnt have was free coffee or breakfast (other than on a Sunday and Monday), a room safe, my room didnt have wired internet and lobby had free wifi. However, marts and coffee houses and burger joints and bars and restaurantsa are a plenty and just round the corner. Location is great in that the shoppoing area, metro stop, bus tour stop, Hanok, village, Seoul Tower, police station, etc etc are all walking distance. Just think to stay in another hotel, that has a room safe, free tea/coffee, breakfast etc you are paying a lot more for things that arent that important in the grand scale of things to stay in a price freindly hotel which is really safe, and have very helpful freindly staff. My only real gripe is that the rooms coulkd do with a little freshing up - the main area is the room carpet - just either get rid of ther old worn, dusty carpet or replace it or give this a very could steam clean - apart from that no real moans for a very good value for money hotel will stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kansman
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Very basic hotel , decent sized rooms. Great location - walking distance to main shopping area and lots of great places to eat. Beds were good but the pillows were fantastic so soft and comfortable. They only offer buffet breakfast on Sunday and Monday so we didnt get to try this.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Craig H
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed for 4 days at Astoria Hotel and found that this hotel have a very great location. Only 50 m to the nearest metro station and walking distance to Myeongdong Shopping Area and Hanok Village. The hotel was also nice, tough it's an old one but well maintained. The room was quite big, and if u're lucky u can get N tower view. The staffs were very helpful even some of them have a bit difficulties in using English, they will do their best to help u get u need.
Overall this hotel was very recommended, plus the price is quite cheap compared to others at the same area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DezDania
Hong Kong
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We came from Busan to Seoul and stayed at Astoria. Its location is great, only a short walk from Exit 4 of Chungmuro Metro Station. The front desk staff could speak English well but not very helpful. We requested a room not facing the main road. Our room was quiet and had a view of Namsan Tower.

There were only 5 hangers in the closet. We requested more to hang our clothes but they said they had no more hangers. Weird! The room was not cool enough and one of the staff said that the air-con system was a centralized one. Even though there was an air switch, the temperature couldn't be adjusted. However, another staff said that the temperature could be adjusted. I said I couldn't handle the switch because I couldn't read the Korean language on it. She said she would send someone to help me. But later she called and told us to switch it again by ourselves. The room was hot and we woke up every night before dawn, sweating!

When we checked-in on Friday, the staff told us that there was free breakfast for us. We were delighted because it was out of my expectation. We woke up earlier on Saturday to get the coupons for our free breakfast. However, we were told that free breakfast was only available on Sunday and Monday. Again, the staff hadn't given us the full picture.

Rooms are old, dark and out-dated. The room size is OK, not small. The toilet is quite big. The mirror is up at the desk but it's too dark for us to see clearly. Wi-fi is only available in the resting place/lobby. This's not convenient. It's good that we can have free use of computers in the resting place.

There's free shuttle (you must reserve with the front desk beforehand) from Astoria to Sejong hotel where you can take the airport bus no. 6015 to the Incheon Airport. This's really a bonus to us because it was raining the day when we left for the Airport. We didn't need to walk and drag to the bus-stop with our luggage in heavy rain.

As advised by other travellers in Tripadvisor, there's really a problem with its housekeeping. On my last day of stay, I lost the box in which I used to put my alarm clock during travels. It must have been thrown away by the housekeeper. Since it's nothing of value, I did not report it to the front desk. But residents should take note of this.

In terms of the cost and location, it's worth staying.. But if you hate hot and stuffy rooms, don't consider this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank WanHongKong
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 26, 2012

location wise, this hotel is really great. it's within walking distance to Myeongdong (so you can really stay out late and just walk back) and it's mere minutes away from Chungmuro station. there are convenience stalls and other shops near the hotel, so it's quite a nice location. For those who wants to hang out at Myeongdong the whole time, this is the place to be. Given that Chungmuro station was connected to other lines as well, it's pretty convenient to travel around.

Services wise, i felt like the counter was rather mediocre. I had some queries regarding calls to Busan, and the counter staff who answered my call just sounded very lazy. During the period i stayed there we weren't entitled to breakfast, so I've no comments about it. My family and I were there for 3 nights, and the first day we were there, our room had really heavy cigarette smell (i wonder why). The room is pretty big, but we could tell that it's pretty old. No fancy flatscreen, and even the lights/aircon doesn't really seem to function properly. There were basic toiletries provided, and the toilet was digital, so that was was the only cool thing about the room. Rooms are cleaned daily, and our room was kept pretty clean. We were not able to access wifi from the room, it's accessible in the lobby so that wasn't very convenient as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bluedew
vancouver
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We travelled to Seoul on July 20 and stayed at Astoria Hotel for 6 days. We got off at Sejong Hotel by bus#6015 and dragged the luggages across the road to Astoria hotel. It's too bad there is no airport bus stop in front of Astoria Hotel. I am not sure can the Hotel ask for the airport bus stop at the Astoria hotel and should the bus company to add one more stop at Astoria. I reserved a deluxe two queen size beds room #712. The receptionist gave me the higher floor. It has a flat screen tv mounted on the wall and the room faces to Seoul Tower, pretty quiet. Check-in was smooth. Some of the receptionists understand English and speak very well and good service. The bed was comfy and clean. Although the hotel was built in 1959, it is clean and tidy. There are two water bottles in the mini fridge and replenished everyday once we used up. They provide shuttle service from Astoria Hotel to Sejong Hotel and take the airport bus. You have to ask the receptionist to reserve it for you. Good location, close to Namsan elevator and take the Cable Car to the N Seoul Tower.
Also walking distance to Hanok Village and Myeongdong shopping district. The weather is hot and humid in July. It rained in the early morning and then stopped later on. I do recommend this hotel and they serve free breakfast on Sunday and Monday for their hotel residents. Even without the free breakfast, I found the breakfast is overprice, around $14 canadian sausages, eggs, bread and tea. The Korean porridge is ranging from 8000 to 9000 won. Next time, we will go to Jeju Islaand.

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor because there is a Karaoke restaurant on 2nd floor.