“Great location for US”

Holiday Inn Seongbuk Seoul
Ranked #140 of 504 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

After spent 9 days in Taiwan, we decided to visit the in-laws in Seoul. Rather than stay w. in law in their apt, we opt the Holiday Inn, which is only 10 mins can ride from the hotel. We chose this particular hotel based the good info supplied by other reviewers. The 6101 bus dropped us right off in front of the hotel; the check in was fast ( we arrived around 11 pm) we were assigned to the business floor and it is clean and well equipped w desktop. Plenty of local Korean eatery nearby. However, no KFC or other Western restaurants in the area. South Korea are way more expensive than Taiwan; most food items (especially beef!) ate very expensive in comparison w USA. We had three pleasant nights at this establishment. It served us well for visiting relatives. On our final day, we hitched the bus again , you could purchase the ticket in the lobby. Overall, good solid hotel with western standard service.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank retiredhaha

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I frequently stay at Holiday Inn's because of their consistency. This Holiday Inn failed to deliver.

Unlike almost every other Holiday Inn around the world, this one doesn't seem to have been updated in the past few years (except for the signage). The lobby, hallways, and rooms all look outdated. Additionally, the location of the hotel is an issue. The fact that it's outside the city area wouldn't be an issue if the hotel was close to a subway stop, but the Gireum stop is a 15 minute walk. Also, two out of three cabs I took from the subway to the hotel had no idea where the hotel was, which resulted in driving circles around the neighborhood. Finally, there's only free wifi in the lobby, which only has seating for two people. So, don't plan on being able to use it.

After a night I moved to Myeongdong where there are lots of hotels for the same/cheaper price and a lot closer to the subway.

Overall, not much positive I can say about this hotel, especially when compared to other Holiday Inns.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Seongbuk Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear dane5588,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize for any discomfort you experienced due to the condition of our facilities and the location of our property. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you do choose to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 3, 2013

The location is good near to the train station nearest station is Gireum of line 4 .Room is clean and comfortable too.Hotel is near to shops,restaurants and city centre.They do provide transfer to airport from the hotel which is very convenient.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We used this as a one night stop over to and from New Zealand (from UK). The staff could not have been more helpful. The rooms were great. We had one Korean Buffet dinner which was OK and on our return we had a Steak each which was reasonable. The South African Red wine Goats do Roam was really good. There is a convienience store just behind the hotel for milk for tea. There is a larger shopping mall nearby. Location was approx 1 hr on bus from airport - which gave us a chance to see something of Seoul. Bus stopped right outside hotel and they helped with luggage.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnandDee2010
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I am currently staying in this hotel for 2 days (March 19-20, 2013) with my mom and aunt. So far I was not wrong in choosing it as my first hotel stop in my week-long stay in Seoul. Reasons are as follows:
1- Very accessible from Incheon Airport (just take exit 10 - Bus 6101) and you will be dropped off right in front of the hotel. If you will take a bus to go around the place, there is a bus stop a few meters away.
2 - Value for money. It is near the city though not at the heart of it but the price is half compared to that in COEX. Subway is accessible (nearest station is Gireum of line 4).
3 - The staff are very helpful but the challenge is the language but nonetheless, they will find a way to assist you.Well for our stay they even sent a welcome note with chocolates :)
4 - Cleanliness is always a huge factor when I review hotels. I should say it is clean. The housekeeping are very good in maintaining the rooms.The curtains are not dusty despite it being along the road. Good acoustic as well. You will not hear the noise in the streets.
5 - We stayed in the Business floor and the rooms are spacious and smells clean. It has it's own humidifier and a desktop with internet access that we can use for free!
6 - The hotel is surrounded with restaurants, coffee shops and convenience stores.

Room Tip: Get the Business Rooms if you are with your family.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank IndigoGirl1212
Reviewed January 17, 2013

After about 2 hours of research, I thought I would go with the Holiday Inn in Seongbuk and I had my reasons, of which the most pressing one was to be able to get out early in the morning when I departed. I will tell more about that later. I actually called the hotel when it was fully booked (mid-November for a Dec 30th stay for 4 days) and the reservationist originally told me the rooms were fully booked for 2 double beds, but she carefully looked at the reservations and noticed that some of them had 1 person (when we had three!) and told us that she found a 2 double bed room just for us. That was the beginning of a great stay.

The rooms are spacious, beds comfortable, climate control in the rooms, an insane about of television programs (most in Korean but also some in English--but who is gonna sit in the room all day?). It was one of the snowiest days of the year and c-c-cold but the climate control in the room and in-room humidifier kept everything just perfect. Really grand. Another nice touch were the robes for the guest and house shoes and personal computer in the room. If you needed wifi it was a bit extra but that did not matter to us so much, yet a friend went ahead and got it anyway so we could access our email from our home country without insane international roaming costs.

Breakfast was pretty good, especially the made to order eggs and omelets with a variety of foods for different tastes. We also used the free shuttle to the shopping districts, but it would have been better if there were more times available to choose from. Minor negative point, almost not worth mentioning. A thing travelers should know is that the property is a wee bit of a distance from the subway but busses run very regularly and the bus stop is directly in front of the property. If you are in to baths and hot soaks, there is a sauna/bath right next door, very inexpensive ($7) with massage and scrubbing attention if you want it.

Had a few challenges with the hotel staff (inaccurate directions given, one desk staff member arguing with me about the difference between a sauna and bath -rather pointless) but aside from this, great experiences with hotel staff. I would also like to point out that the hotel went way beyond the call of duty in assisting me with a medical condition. Actually, I had a gout attack and could not walk but the hotel created a box that would fit my foot, filled it with ice and helped me reduce the swelling. That was stellar in my book. Thank you all so very much!

As I mentioned, the location of the airport bus stop was perfect, 30 meters outside of the front door. Basically, door-to-door from airport to the hotel. I like this a lot, and only $7 bucks.

So, I give the hotel 9.5 out of 10. What could be improved? The gym could be warmer in the morning. That place had ice forming on the machines (hyperbole) because it was so cold.

If you want a great stay, good food, warm helpful staff, and good value for the money, give this place a try. We did and enjoyed it very much.

Room Tip: upper floors, nicer view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank harmonyeternal
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Spent the New Year in Seoul. Hotel was easily reached by bus from Inchon airport, stop is in front of the hotel. Got upgraded to a nice suite, very clean, well equipped. Super friendly staff. Hotel offers free shuttle bus to downtown, works great. We enjoyed out short stay. There are some local markets around the hotel, worth a walk, with excellent local food choices. The location is not super convenient, but it's quiet and the hotel offers plenty of choices to get around.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple