“Nice”

Ranked #130 of 474 Hotels in Seoul
JAPAN
“Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Spent the New Year in Seoul. Hotel was easily reached by bus from Inchon airport, stop is in front of the hotel. Got upgraded to a nice suite, very clean, well equipped. Super friendly staff. Hotel offers free shuttle bus to downtown, works great. We enjoyed out short stay. There are some local markets around the hotel, worth a walk, with excellent local food choices. The location is not super convenient, but it's quiet and the hotel offers plenty of choices to get around.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WEISSBIER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel is located in the northern suburbs of Seoul city, 5 subway stops from Dongdaemun on Line 4, though the hotel does provide a free shuttle bus service, two in the morning (9am and 11am) and two in the evening (5pm and 7pm) - 15 min to Dongdaemun and 30 min to Myeongdong. Taxi from Dongdaemun is about 7000KRW.

The hotel is nicely furnished and the business room we stayed in is relatively spacious and well maintained. There is a desktop provided which one can use for free internet access. The room has also good sound-proofing to block out the street noise. The hotel staff speaks good English and are very friendly and helpful.

For Priority Club Platinum members, note that there is no club lounge at this hotel.

There are local korean restaurants within walking distance, both across the street as well as along the side streets behind the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnzacTraveller
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Seongbuk Seoul, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear AnzacTraveller,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for the first 2 nights of our Seoul winter adventure and we had a pleasant experience. Almost everyone at the hotel was very accommodating and willing to assist. Their lobby was nicely decorated and warm enough as we waited for our time to check in. We requested if we can check in early and they were able to accommodate the request which was a huge bonus for us.

The room was huge enough and the beds were very nice... we had 7 - 8 hours uninterrupted sleep almost everyday :) The bathroom was also nice with a tub which was big enough for me to stretch.

Location - though we had to walk for around 10 - 15 minutes to the nearest subway, they compensated this by having a shuttle that runs 4x a day to some of the best markets in Seoul - Myeongdong, Domdaemun, and Namdaemun. Just ask the concierge for the schedule and do not forget to call the hotel to pick you up in the designated area. We made a mistake of just waiting for the shuttle without calling them ( we thought we've already made the arrangement with the concierge and the driver to pick us up) - and ended up waiting in the cold for 30 minutes. As for the food, since the hotel is located in a residential area, there are restaurants, coffee shops, and a really good korean barbeque resto near the area.

They do not have wi-fi but there is a computer in the room with high speed internet connection. Since we bought a laptop, they gave us a lan cable which we can use to connect to the net

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ofel
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

This place was very clean and tidy, staff on checkin are great and very helpfull, even thou I checki n early, they made me feel welcome and ask me to wait in reception for room to be ready and they ask if i like tea/coffee when waiting.
Very enjoyable place to stay and everything was great, will stay in this place again happily.
There is a light breakfast provided (free)
Rooms are off a good size, with ensuite.

Room Tip: I was in a single room, with ensuite, very clean, tidy. No noise from outside. yes i would stay h...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Grove, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

On our first trip to Korea my wife and I stayed two nights at the Seongbuk Holiday Inn and could not have been more happy with the facility or the staff. We arrived tired after a cross continent flight and the staff worked to get us into our room earlier than the regular check-in time by several hours. With no knowledge of what to do or see in the city the staff gave us many good suggestions and arranged an excellent individual tour with a fantastic taxi driver. The facility is very well maintained, the bed was great and the breakfast very nice. There are many shops and restaurants in the neighborhood and we enjoyed exploring the area. One of the best features is the airport shuttle bus (which is cheap) dropped us right at the door.

Room Tip: our room was fairly high and we enjoyed looking across the city
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I'd like to state that I live in Seoul, and have stayed at many hotels in this large city when I just want to pamper myself or want a late night out without having to return back to my place late at night. This time a friend met up with me as we had business one station away from the hotel.

First, the staff at the Holiday Inn were all very professional. I had written in to request an upgrade and was granted one. I might add that I have Ambassador level with Priority Club. I had requested a 4pm check out and the hotel wrote to explain how this was not possible. I thought that they were very courteous to explain this in a letter which was sent to my email a week in advance of my arrival. Thank you again for the great stay.

I stayed on the 10th floor in a 2 bedroom standard business room with computer. There was a computer, but I had brought my laptop. I would say that the one inconvenience was not having wireless in the room. I called down to the front desk and picked up a longer cable, which really needed to be even longer in order to sit on the bed and work. Desks remind me too much of real work!

I have been at a lot of Holiday Inns and the Seongbuk has one of the best and well-laid out breakfast buffets I have had the pleasure of eating at. Smoked salmon, fruits, vegetables, hot foods, cereal, breads, Korean traditional breakfast foods were all there to be enjoyed. I did!

There is a shuttle to Myong-dong,; although we did not use it. The subway station is a 10 minute walk to the hotel; although a bit confusing to find if one does not read Korean maps.

There was some comment that the hotel is situated in an area without any commerce around it. This is very untrue. It is indeed in a suburb area of Seoul, and quieter than most. There are many stores around this Holiday inn. In fact, near the subway station is a Hyundai Department store.

Also, someone mentioned that no one spoke English. This is very untrue. The receptionists speak English very fluently, and while some of the help staff do not, they will recognize your needs and find for you someone who does.

It's about a 10,000 KRW ride from Yongsan -Base or Itaewon. I did take a taxi from there to the hotel.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Bring a internet cable with you if you want to sit on a bed and work. Also, someone mentioned that n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank marzyAworldtraveler
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I really wanted to like this hotel. The front desk staff were polite and helpful at check-in, my room was spacious (a Priority Club Platinum upgrade), and I generally like older hotels that are well cared for. But in the end there were just too many things wrong, including a number of things that would not be hard to fix.

At first I thought I had been given a smoking room by mistake. Although there were no ashtrays, there was a vaguely smoky smell and feel to the room. But they assured me that it was a genuine non-smoking room, and I eventually decided the room just needed a really thorough cleaning.

The bathrooms are large and mostly functional, but my shower had one of those goofy flexible hoses that causes the showerhead to wiggle in its harness and spray in all directions. How difficult or expensive can it be to put in a "rain shower" nozzle?

There was no wireless in the room, but my room came with a desktop computer. Unfortunately the computer seemed to want to work only in Korean; eventually I figured out that I could unplug it from the cable outlet and plug in my laptop. This worked a lot better.

The restaurant is overpriced (perhaps no more so than other Seoul hotel restaurants -- but it's still $5 for a Coke and $8 for a glass of fresh fruit juice) and both the food and the atmosphere are uninspiring.

The location, although far from town and a 12-15 minute walk to the nearest subway stop, is not too bad if you are at a conference at the nearby Korea University campus, as I was.

I had one particularly unfortunate experience here: I left my white go-to-meetings shirt to be laundered. They sent it to a contract cleaner and it came back with a big and oddly symmetrical stain (I thought it might be an iron burn at first) that definitely had not been there when I left the shirt to be cleaned. When I complained, the young man who had delivered my laundry was sympathetic, but the duty manager was rather grumpy about the whole thing, stating at one point that the stain "could not possibly" have been put there by the hotel's outside laundry service. There did not seem to be even a hint of the thought that an apology might be appropriate.

The one bright spot was that we had a conference rate of about US $125. This is quite high for what we got, but it's about half the price we would have had to pay for a Hyatt, a Hilton, or a Sheraton in Seoul.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a "business room" if you can get it. These rooms are larger and hav...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Seongbuk Seoul, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear AssimilatedCajun,

Thank you very much for being a Platinum Priority Club Member and for your recent stay with us. I'm happy to know that you found the rooms spacious, out hotel staff polite and felt you received a good value for your stay. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. However, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the laundry service and condition of the shower. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service.

We appreciate your loyalty and we hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N