“Pleasing Stay”

Holiday Inn Seongbuk Seoul
Ranked #149 of 542 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I'd like to state that I live in Seoul, and have stayed at many hotels in this large city when I just want to pamper myself or want a late night out without having to return back to my place late at night. This time a friend met up with me as we had business one station away from the hotel.

First, the staff at the Holiday Inn were all very professional. I had written in to request an upgrade and was granted one. I might add that I have Ambassador level with Priority Club. I had requested a 4pm check out and the hotel wrote to explain how this was not possible. I thought that they were very courteous to explain this in a letter which was sent to my email a week in advance of my arrival. Thank you again for the great stay.

I stayed on the 10th floor in a 2 bedroom standard business room with computer. There was a computer, but I had brought my laptop. I would say that the one inconvenience was not having wireless in the room. I called down to the front desk and picked up a longer cable, which really needed to be even longer in order to sit on the bed and work. Desks remind me too much of real work!

I have been at a lot of Holiday Inns and the Seongbuk has one of the best and well-laid out breakfast buffets I have had the pleasure of eating at. Smoked salmon, fruits, vegetables, hot foods, cereal, breads, Korean traditional breakfast foods were all there to be enjoyed. I did!

There is a shuttle to Myong-dong,; although we did not use it. The subway station is a 10 minute walk to the hotel; although a bit confusing to find if one does not read Korean maps.

There was some comment that the hotel is situated in an area without any commerce around it. This is very untrue. It is indeed in a suburb area of Seoul, and quieter than most. There are many stores around this Holiday inn. In fact, near the subway station is a Hyundai Department store.

Also, someone mentioned that no one spoke English. This is very untrue. The receptionists speak English very fluently, and while some of the help staff do not, they will recognize your needs and find for you someone who does.

It's about a 10,000 KRW ride from Yongsan -Base or Itaewon. I did take a taxi from there to the hotel.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Bring a internet cable with you if you want to sit on a bed and work. Also, someone mentioned that n...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank marzyAworldtraveler

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I really wanted to like this hotel. The front desk staff were polite and helpful at check-in, my room was spacious (a Priority Club Platinum upgrade), and I generally like older hotels that are well cared for. But in the end there were just too many things wrong, including a number of things that would not be hard to fix.

At first I thought I had been given a smoking room by mistake. Although there were no ashtrays, there was a vaguely smoky smell and feel to the room. But they assured me that it was a genuine non-smoking room, and I eventually decided the room just needed a really thorough cleaning.

The bathrooms are large and mostly functional, but my shower had one of those goofy flexible hoses that causes the showerhead to wiggle in its harness and spray in all directions. How difficult or expensive can it be to put in a "rain shower" nozzle?

There was no wireless in the room, but my room came with a desktop computer. Unfortunately the computer seemed to want to work only in Korean; eventually I figured out that I could unplug it from the cable outlet and plug in my laptop. This worked a lot better.

The restaurant is overpriced (perhaps no more so than other Seoul hotel restaurants -- but it's still $5 for a Coke and $8 for a glass of fresh fruit juice) and both the food and the atmosphere are uninspiring.

The location, although far from town and a 12-15 minute walk to the nearest subway stop, is not too bad if you are at a conference at the nearby Korea University campus, as I was.

I had one particularly unfortunate experience here: I left my white go-to-meetings shirt to be laundered. They sent it to a contract cleaner and it came back with a big and oddly symmetrical stain (I thought it might be an iron burn at first) that definitely had not been there when I left the shirt to be cleaned. When I complained, the young man who had delivered my laundry was sympathetic, but the duty manager was rather grumpy about the whole thing, stating at one point that the stain "could not possibly" have been put there by the hotel's outside laundry service. There did not seem to be even a hint of the thought that an apology might be appropriate.

The one bright spot was that we had a conference rate of about US $125. This is quite high for what we got, but it's about half the price we would have had to pay for a Hyatt, a Hilton, or a Sheraton in Seoul.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a "business room" if you can get it. These rooms are larger and hav...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Seongbuk Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear AssimilatedCajun,

Thank you very much for being a Platinum Priority Club Member and for your recent stay with us. I'm happy to know that you found the rooms spacious, out hotel staff polite and felt you received a good value for your stay. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. However, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the laundry service and condition of the shower. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service.

We appreciate your loyalty and we hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed July 1, 2012

My family and I (3 of us) stayed here for 9 days using my Holiday Inn Priority Club points. Although most people seem to complain that this hotel is far from the city, we have found it very accessible as the hotel provides 4 shuttle trips a day to Dongdae-mun and Myeongdong. And the subway station is just about 10-15 mins walk. Furthermore the Airport bus stops directly opposite the hotel (on arrival) and right in front of the hotel (for departure).

There's a mini supermarket next door and there's this wonderful BBQ restaurant on the ground floor just before the mini supermarket that provides you with an English menu. The BBQ was just excellent, so much tastier and cheaper that those in the tourist areas. If you venture further up past the mini market, crossing the main road at the underpass junction, you will find a newly opened E-mart that has an excellent food court. And if you walk another 10-15 minutes further up the same road, you will reach a junction where you will see a Hyundai department store and another E-mart and lots of shops and a Lotte Department store across the street after this second E-mart. Behind Lotte, there are many local restaurants. All in, we had a great time eating, shopping and exploring this neighbourhood.

On most days, we took the shuttle down to Dongdae-mun and a short walk from where the driver dropped us is the Dongdaemun Cultural park subway station. From there, we took the subway to anywhere we had wanted to go (use the T-card - purchase the card for 2500W at any of the convenience stores and top up the value that you want for use). In the evenings, we would take the return shuttles if we were near those locations (at Dongdae-mun, it's the bus stop opposite where you are dropped off from the hotel and at Myeong-dong, it's the same spot where you are dropped off, which is the IBIS hotel junction). Otherwise, it's the subway back to Gireum.

I have stayed at many Holiday Inns but this one has the most attentive lobby staff. They were extremely helpful and eager to provide whatever details I had requested of them. They are truly a gem.

Room Tip: I don't know..we had a room facing the main road and had expected it to be noisy but it was surp...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank cyloh
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Good hotel in Pure Korean surrounding. Around hotel you find only Korean restaurants- only beef and pork - no chicken and fish. However you find good restaurant inside Hotel.

Room Tip: If you are transit traveler avoid this Hotel . Quite far from International airport, though you have...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Last minute booking with travel agent we ended up booking here. The value was good and the staff were helpful and no problem at all to report. But the overall experience was a bit bland, the rooms were basic, the location was a bit far from the city centre and the hotel itself is showing it's age. Computer in room was a nice touch, and if staying for a short time and looking for good value would choose this place. But if looking for something a bit special in beautiful Seoul you will need to look else where.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Global Nomad I
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Seongbuk Seoul, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Dear Global Noma d,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. We are pleased you liked the service from our friendly staff. We are sorry the location of our hotel did not work for you. I just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day.

I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights, you never had to worry much when you stay in a holiday inn hotel. Clean room, nice ambience, English speaking staffs. Shuttle bus service from hotel to dongdaemun cultural park station,myeongdong etc. provided. Alternatively get to town by metro,the nearest station is gireum. If you take a cab it costs around 3000 won. No WI-FI service in guest room or hotel lobby though, the nearest coffee house with free WI-FI is a short walking distance from hotel. Will stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank fkitty05
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The bedroom was large. The size of an average double king in the U.S. Very clean. A couple odd things. The drawn bedroom curtains did not cover the middle third of the window. Seemingly standard in this hotel. Even on a business floor. When asked they replaced them with curtains wide enough to darken the room. Welcome after a long overnight flight. It was the end of winter April and so the air conditioning was not in operation. Nor was there any way of activating the central air conditioner's fan to circulate air in the sealed room. We finally had to toy with opening the window of the bedroom a trifle to be able to breathe. Happily there was no significant noise from the outside. The breakfast is an excellent buffet with a very adequate mixture of Korean and Western dishes. The hotel's main restaurant is very good. Getting around was no problem. Taxis are plentiful. The staff was the hotel's greatest asset. Marginal English with many of them but all were very helpful and unfailingly courteous. A great place to stay.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel is quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple