“Overlooking the Gate of Exalted Ceremonies” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fraser Place Namdaemun Seoul

Fraser Place Namdaemun Seoul
Ranked #49 of 469 Hotels in Seoul
Perth, Australia
“Overlooking the Gate of Exalted Ceremonies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

When I was looking at a holiday in Seoul, all I wanted was a hotel somewhat central to Seoul city proper to allow for walking access to tourist sights. Fraser Place Namdaemun absolutely fits that as it's roughly a 10 minute walk from Seoul Station, 5 minutes from City Hall Station, 15 minutes from Gyeongbukgong, 5 minutes from Deoksukgong etc. etc. etc.

The Namdaemun in its name refers to the fact that it is basically opposite the Namdaemun gate (Sungyemun to some others). My room faced South and I had a towering view over the gate, a picture is as below.

Staff were extremely courteous, towels were changed daily and rooms were cleaned daily as well (a bit overkill personally, but when it comes to good service, who's gonna complain?)

Breakfast was provided as well, from 630am onwards and while the selection was limited, it was enough to choose from. Choices ranged from the typical continental type breakfast buffet spread to a bit of a Korean style breakfast - rice and small dishes at the side.

Facilities in the hotel included a gym and a sauna/spa on the 16th floor, and it's absolutely a beautiful place to work out as you get to see Seoul from high up. The spas are your typical cold and hot pools, with one hot pool indoors and one hot pool outdoors if you're into spa'ing in the great outdoors. It was a very relaxing place to go to unwind after a long day's sightseeing and loosen out the leg muscles.

All in all, I greatly recommend Fraser Place Namdaemun and would return in future.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side overlook the Namdaemun (Sungyemun) gate.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Soon Theam K
남대문, 프론트 매니저 at Fraser Place Namdaemun Seoul, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear. Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are extremely delighted to hear that our hotel has met your expectation. We will continually strive to provide our valuable guest with the best service.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Joy Cho
Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We hit a gold mine in the heart of Seoul, South Korea: triple occupancy, within easy walking distance of the Seoul Train Station and easily accessible to the business, government, cultural, and tourist sites that are the "soul" of Seoul. AND our residence-apartment style room (fully furnished with beautiful hard-wood flooring) was reasonably priced! Operations Manager, Mr. Matthew Kim and his hotel staff quietly do a superb job everywhere. Customer service is stellar! Complimentary breakfast buffet, while modest in nature, is worthy of a 5-star restaurant. Executive chef Mr. Min Sig Jeong of First Floor presents a perfect blend of healthful, simply prepared food, with complex tastes. (NB: Myself a diabetic, I found Chef Jeong's instinctive healthful food selections not only met my daily nutritional requirements, it also helped maintain my blood sugar levels without difficulty.) My husband and I, frequent international travelers, have experienced the best, good, fair and poor hotels in new, unfamiliar cities. By far, our newly found FRASER PLACE NAMDAEMUN, SEOUL, ranks among the best in our travels. We highly recommend Mr. Kim and his staff as a desired 4-star hotel destination. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Doreen H
남대문, 프론트 매니저 at Fraser Place Namdaemun Seoul, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear. Guest

Thank you for leaving such a good comments on us. We are happy to hear that our hotel met your expectation. We will continue to strive to provide our guest with best service.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Joy Cho
Front Desk Manager
Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was not my first choice, but will be from now on.
Location is excellent for both the Namdaemun market (and airport bus stop) and the Myeong-dong area, and a short walk from the city hall subway station, Deoksugung palace, and other attractions.
The hotel offers free WiFi in all areas, a free breakfast, a welcome drink at the top floor bar, and a free modern fitness center. Rooms are nicely sized, comfortable, and clean, with all the regular amenities.
This will definitely be my first choice on my next Seoul layover.

2 Thank B B
FraserplaceNamdaemun, Executive Office at Fraser Place Namdaemun Seoul, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and We would like to let you know that you are always our favorite
customer. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Thanks & best regards,

wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed for four nights and found the location ideal. Hotel is of a very good standard with large well equipped apartment style rooms. Very good value for money and would stay there again. Paid about 100 pounds a night including breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are glad that you enjoyed with us.
We are exciting to see you again on your next visit.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

The new Fraser Place Namdaemun is just a few minutes' walk away from attractions such as Namdaemun, Myeongdong, and Chonggyecheon. The rooms were spacious and airy, had great views, and were comfortably furnished with serviced apartment amenities. Internet was fast, free, and password-secured. My only gripe, if I were to nitpick, would be that the sheets were scratchy.

Staff all spoke English well and we had no problems getting a late checkout on one of our rooms so we could go shopping before an evening flight. It's the little touches, like greeting every guest that walks past and helping us with wet umbrellas, that impressed me. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank hazynite
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed at Fraser Place Namdaemun for 10 days and thoroughly enjoyed it. These are serviced apartments which means you have a large room that can be divided into two for privacy if needed. The room comes with a full sized refrigerator, two burner cook-top, microwave, rice cooker and hot-pot. The location is a short walk to City Hall station and about 20 minutes walk to Seoul Station. The service of the hotel is excellent and my rate included a full breakfast which was very good. During our stay we had a medical emergency, the hotel exceeded my expectations in terms of assisting us during the emergency and afterward helped us with assist devices. I would not recommend the restaurant, there are dozens of very good Korean restaurants nearby and if you are hankering for a Western meal, try Outback steakhouse just down the road.

Room Tip: If you want to pay extra for a room on the high floors, make sure it is facing the Namdaemun gate...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tradition_rider
We are glad that you enjoyed with us for 10 nights.
We've kept training our staff members for emergency situation.
Thank you again and We hope see you near future.

Best regards,

Shenzhen, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I selected this hotel because relative cheap and good place. However, it turned out that I made terrible mistake that I select this hotel.

The hotel has big problem on electricity system for light. When I sleep, the light just turned on automatically quite often and I couldn't sleep at all. (Can you imagine that all light turn on suddenly when you are sleep?)

So, they changed the room, but it has same problem so, changed again but problem again. Can you believe it?

Finally, I asked them to shutdown the electricity for light. I don't know when they can fix this problem, but I recommend not to stay in this hotel. This is systematical problem. (Engineer told me that many rooms have problem and they are trying to figure it out the root cause)

I wanted to complain this to their head quarter, but even I couldn't find any email or contact number for customer care. But, I could see that trip adviser awarded Fraser as certificate of excellence traveller's choice. - This is shame. The way they handle this problem is totally NOT professional. They sent engineer 2 times even though engineers knows that there is nothing that they can do.

Room Tip: If you want to stay this hotel, you should check whether they fixed this problem or not. Otherwise...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank dwkim
We first apologize for your inconvenience. After you left, we found the reason of lighting problem which was a sensor and fixed it. We appreciate your review.

Best regards,