“Awesome people, good value!”

Fortune Hongdae Hostel
Ranked #279 of 534 Specialty Lodging in Seoul
Los Angeles, California
“Awesome people, good value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2014

I have been to this place almost every weekend that I went to Seoul. If you come to Hongdae to experience the nightlife on a budget, the price and the location of this hostel can not be beat.

The staff are all very knowledgeable and helpful. The owner is very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Thai first
Seongnam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

The location is great if you plan to hang out in Hongdae area. I was attending a concert that started pretty late, so opted to stay here instead of a motel. Room was very basic with just the bunk bed (not even a trash can inside). Men's bathroom on one floor and women's bathroom being on another floor was annoying for my wife. Towels are provided but nothing else. According to Agoda, breakfast was included but it wasn't the case as the common area was under construction (which went on pretty late into the evening which got a little annoying even though it didn't disrupt our sleep). When motels nearby are only 10 bucks more, I didn't think it was a great value. But being in the middle of Hongdae, you can stumble back to your room within minutes from whatever bar/club you're hanging out in Hongdae.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

So the SO and I arrived on New Year's Eve and were told that the double room was having heating problems, and the only other room available for us was the triple. That was okay and the manager at the time was kind so we figured we'd be fine with the triple for the night. He took us up to the room, but it hadn't been cleaned yet so my SO and I left our bag of clothes and I left my box of walnut cakes in the room so that we could enjoy the festivities without the hassle of carrying too much. The room was nice, warm, and clean. The bathroom was tiny, but most importantly spotless without a speck of mildew (which I can't say about many other hostels in the ROK). I would have given the place 4 stars but.....

Lo and behold, when we returned, my SO's clothes were laid out on the bed neatly, and plate of rice cakes that the manager kindly offered to us stood on the fridge........ and my large box of walnut cakes were gone. We reported this to the front desk in the morning and asked them to reach us in case they found it, but unfortunately, it seemed like someone nicked it while we were away. Since the room hadn't been cleaned, we didn't take the keys but assumed that the manager would lock the door... and since nothing was valuable, we didn't think our bag of clothes would tempt anyone. much less a half eaten box of walnut cakes.

I'd recommend the hostel due to the area and due to the fact that it was cozy, but definitely make sure your doors are locked, and don't leave anything in case the room hasn't been cleaned yet. Normally I take the utmost precautions in any hotel/hostel I stay in, but we made the mistake of trusting that no one would take something from our uncleaned room. It was late, so we were starving and really wanted to get a move on our festivities. Thankfully nothing valuable was taken, but still.... having something you were looking forward to having stolen was a sour feeling, especially on New Year's Eve. Disappointing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Impressed with very nice, clean and cosy hostel. The staff are very friendly and helpful and could certainly speak good english. Convenient location and i strongly recommend to stay at fortune hostel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I was suppose to stay at the hostel for 2 days but end up staying for almost 3 weeks before flying over to Beijing. Nissa, the manager of the hostel was amazing from the begining, she was extremely helpful on providing me information on where to go and what to do in Seoul. I feel that Nissa know Seoul in and out, She also introduce me to her friends during my stay at the hostels to hang out. Her customer service skills over and beyond wonderful. I had a really good time. I like to thanks her so much for making my trip in Seoul pleasant. Fortune hostel is clean, spacious and excellent location in the heart of Hongdae (good party destination). The older sometimes give away free bibimbap. Overall, i believe the hostl is very good value for money and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: All rooms are clean and spacious, can't go wrong..
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Pearland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Perfect location to travel around the city during the day and experience the nightlife. Place is affordable and comfy, friendly staff and very helpful with things to do in Seoul. A great place to meet other travelers and make new friends throughout the world. Also, there's lots of restaurants nearby to choose from.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Very nice and clean hostel in a great location Hongdae.Friendly staff and the owner.The free bibimbap was also very nice ,) The most pleasant accomodation I've met for the year traveling !
Recommend to stay.