Evening Ghost Walking Tour in Seoul

Book in advance
from
$35.00
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Seoul City Hall
from $35.00
from $88.00
from $40.00
from $40.00
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed November 11, 2018

As an architecture buff, I found Seoul's City Hall to be a most worthwhile stop. The modern 13-story glass-and-steel building opened in 2012 behind the old, stone city hall, now a library. Designed by You Kerl, the new building resembles a huge wave but borrows from elements of traditional Korean houses, such as the roof structure. Eco friendly, its features include a geothermal plant and rainwater for the cooling system.

Home for city government offices, the building also welcomes the general public for free in many areas. I started on the first floor and marveled at the vertical garden that climbs the inner wall to the seventh floor. Consisting of tens of thousands of plants, the garden was the largest in the world when the building opened. Its lower part, which I could see clearly, however, needs to have brown leaves removed. An art installation, "Metaseosa Seobeol," appears just inside the entrance by the garden. Its myriad white balloons represent Seoul's turbulent history, but the creation reminded me of giant grapes.

I took the glass elevator to the ninth-floor cafe, where artwork was displayed. Many people sat at small tables, drinking coffee or looking at phones. Two locals invited me to join them and shared many interesting stories about their city and its history.

Later, I descended to the basement level's
multipurpose space, which includes art exhibitions and design shops. I especially liked the glassed-in archaeology hall that exhibits items from the Joseon dynasty found during excavation of the site. A visitor information desk at this level had an English-speaking woman, who gave me details about the area in general.

Seoul City Hall offers a convenient stop for those visiting nearby Deoksugung Palace. The building is at the City Hall metro stop.

2  Thank Rumples
Reviewed October 22, 2018

The original Seoul City Hall, built in 1925 is an example of Imperial Crown Style architecture and served as city hall until 2008. It is now the Seoul Metropolitan Library. It is completely overshadowed by the imposing new City Hall which is often described as looking like a tsunami made of glass and steel.

I was staying at the Plaza hotel just across the square so I saw it both by day and by night in all its glory. And at night it was very colourful indeed, changing colours what appeared to be every few minutes. And by day it seemed to attract all sorts of protesters making noisy demonstrations about a range of mainly local issues. In fact in the week I stayed in this city one gets a very strong impression that Koreans like to shout, wave banners and generally make a lot of noise. Thank goodness that my hotel room had good sound protection.

By the way, in the basement of the City Hall are a number of nice exhibitions, some of which I could vaguely understand...

Reviewed October 21, 2018

This transparent building, resembling a tidal wave, is one of most disputed constructions in Seoul, as it does not blend in with the original city hall building (located in the front, now a library). But still, it is a cool building to take a look at.

Reviewed September 8, 2018

This wasn't on our planned itinerary, and it turned out to be a surprisingly pleasant experience! It was around 6 PM on a weekday, and we had gone in and taken pictures of the vertical gardens, and this glowing light structure. On our way out, one of the senior guards motioned us to the elevator, and told a passing local to escort us to the basement.

Upon exiting the elevator, we went out to this floor where photo ops abound! Take a picture with different wall colors, pretend to be "On Air" at a studio, look for the "Lego Wall," admire the pastel image-covered lights, and go through a relics exhibit hall! We were only able to explore one floor, but there seems to be two floors of this "Citizens' Hall." Wish they promoted this more!

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank Legopod
Reviewed August 28, 2018

We stopped by here to take some pictures in front of the town hall and the "I Seoul U" sign. The building is impressive so yes, definitely do the picture rounds here.

Date of experience: August 2018