“Friendly staff which make you feel at home”

Bukchonmaru Hanok Guesthouse
Ranked #6 of 946 Seoul B&B and Inns
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Friendly staff which make you feel at home”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Very friendly and welcoming staff which make you feel warm all the time. Though the room was small which is expected of a Korean hanok, it is comfortable and clean. Located within walking distance to subway station and restaurants. Healthy and traditional organic breakfast. Worth your money for the experience staying in a Korean hanok like this one in Bukchon Maru. We will never forget the great time we have in this hanok. =)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank MKeet
Buckhonmaru, Manager at Bukchonmaru Hanok Guesthouse, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Hello ,
We are very happy to see your encourage ,thanks very much for your helpful and beautiful comments !!It was also a wonderful time to be with you !!!
we will do our best to serve you if there is a chance !!!
Hope this time which stay in our guesthouse is a memory time in your life !!!
we will miss you !!
Thanks !!!
Have a nice and sunny day !!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Albion
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The owner and staff were very nice and helpful. The room for one person was very small. My constructive suggestions are that they make the entrance more appealing (it was blocked with airing comforters and unfinished staircase) and turn the floor heat down. It was so hot I cooked and did not sleep all night even with the window and door open.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Shirley F
Buckhonmaru, Manager at Bukchonmaru Hanok Guesthouse, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Hello,thanks very much for your comment !!
we are sorry for that the room is too small ,but this is the characteristic of the Hanok!!!
You can not experience the really feeling if you stay the modern style's hanok !!!
Any way ,it was a wonderful time to be with you !!!
Because the weather become more and more cold in Seoul ,so we turn on the terrestrial heat,maybe you feel a little hot ,like Sauna hall ,but we can turn off if you tell us !!!sorry for you !!
Hope there is another chance that we can serve you again !!!
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Good location, mini bus stops right at door stop literally! Close to shopping areas and sight seeing! Air conditioned with fan. Lovely and friendly multilingual staffs! Always go the extra mile! Good communication before and after (yes! follow up to see how we are going!) stay.

Room Tip: Master bedroom has good city views
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank badcliq
Buckhonmaru, Manager at Bukchonmaru Hanok Guesthouse, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Hello ,
How are you ??
Thanks so much for your helpful coment !!!
We can shared the times with you ,it was a pleasure for us !!!
welcome to our guesthouse next time!!!
Have a sunny and nice day !!!!
Toowoomba
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Staying at this family run guest house, situated in the old part of Seoul, was a delightful experience. Our room was furnished with a traditional Korean bed which turned out to be extremely comfortable, even for an aged-challenged couple. Breakfast was traditional Korean food shared with other guests so we were able to swap experiences. Our hosts were very helpful with information on what to do for our short stay in Seoul and how to move around the city.
By staying in this guest house you experience a different side of a modern city; such a pleasant change from staying in an impersonal box hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello ,thanks very much for your useful and friendly coment !!!
It was also a wonderful time for us to be with you !!!
we are so happy because we can help you and introduce some helpful information for you !!!!
Hope there is another chance stay with you !!!
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Bukchon Maru Hanok Guesthouse for one night.
-As soon as I had booked and paid the accommodation, I received a confirmation email with very clear instructions and details, including address & contact details, detailed description how to get to the guesthouse from the airport, as well as wifi password.
-When I contacted the guesthouse that I would arrive after 6pm on my checkin date, I immediately received an email reply that someone would be waiting for me when I got there, so I could rest assured someone would be there by the time I got there.
-I had no trouble finding the guesthouse, according to the directions. It's a bit of a walk from Anguk Station (maximum 12-15 minutes), but I expected it because of the descriptions. It might not be ideal for someone with lots of luggage to walk up the hill, but apparently you can wait for a bus which stops right in front of the guesthouse.
-When I arrived, I was greeted by a very friendly staff (she knew English and fluent Mandarin Chinese!) who showed me to my room and explained everything in detail, e.g. how to lock the door, details on using the shared bathroom, details about breakfast the next morning etc. The staff had especially waited for me to arrive, even though it was out of office hours, which was really nice of her.]
-Everything was clean and nicely prepared in my room, and once I opened the windows, I had a great view of Seoul's city lights in the background. The room was actually a double-room for me (one person), which I thought was just enough. I'm not sure how small the single room is. The room was very simple: Other than the bedding, a hanger and a mini-chest drawer, there wasn't really any other furniture in the room. One thing I didn't think was that convenient was that the mirror on the wall was behind the mini chest drawers (very low, close to the floor) so you had to crouch down in order to see yourself in the mirror (this mainly is for girls who need to do make-up and hair). Moreover, the mirror was underneath this wooden pole where you can hang your things, so it was quite dark with the shade coming from the wooden pole above.
-A big jug of water and cups was provided in the room. I was also given towels.
-Just a word of caution- as the guesthouse is a traditional Korean house with sliding doors, the walls and doors are obviously rather thin, which means you may not get peace and quiet or feel like you have complete privacy. However, that was what I expected, so it didn't bother me.

-The shared bathroom was simple, but clean, and shared with one or two other rooms.
-Next morning, we were served breakfast in the common room. The rich Korean breakfast was homemade from organic ingredients by the owner of the guesthouse. The food was really great, consisting of several dishes with pickles, soup, rice and omelette. Two staff tended to us guests (we were 5 guests in total). Again, like the lady from the day before, the staff also spoke excellent Mandarin and told us interesting things about Korean culture. It really felt like you were at someone's home- very personal. After breakfast I asked the staff for some advice on getting around Seoul, and even though they weren't entirely sure about my question, they went out of their way to look things up for me and were very helpful.
-Soon after, it was already time for me to pack up and leave.

-The atmosphere of the historic neighbourhood is also well worth the stay. Because the guesthouse is located on the hill, you get a glimpse of all the little alleys with traditional Korean houses (there are lots of other guesthouses in the area), as well as traditional arts and crafts workshops. Less than 5 minutes walk from the guesthouse, the area is full of cute little cafes, eateries and small shops.

-Overall, I had a really nice experience at Bukchon Maru Guesthouse. It's very personalised and feels more like you're staying at someone's house. This obviously means that you shouldn't expect anything fancy and/or luxurious- it's very simple, but clean. Therefore, for anyone who is interested in experiencing what feels like an authentic, local Korean experience, I can only warmly recommend to stay at this guesthouse.

Thanks very much to Bukchon Maru Hanok Guesthouse for providing me with this wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank kuribonbon
Buckhonmaru, Manager at Bukchonmaru Hanok Guesthouse, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Hello ,thanks very much for your helpful and nice coment !!!
We are so happy when we read your reviews when there are so many details !!!
It was a wonderful time to be with you for us !!!
we also had the pleasure of staying with you !!!
It is the most things that we feel happy when we know you like our guesthouse and the service .
We want to serve you if there is another chance !!!
Hope this experience can be give you good memory !!!
we also remember the times that stay with you !!!
Hope you have a sunny and nice day !!!!
Please remember bukchonmaru guesthouse is your korean home ,welcome to go back at any time !!!
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed September 13, 2013

What wonderful hospitality! Beautiful neighborhood, cozy house, clean and quiet room, a VERY hospitable family, and to top it all off, the most delicious homemade Korean breakfast. My son and I stayed for 9 days at Buchon Maru.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

1 Thank Mattia B
Buckhonmaru, Manager at Bukchonmaru Hanok Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Hello ,thanks very much for your helpful and nice coment !!!!
It was also a wonderful time to be with you !!!
we are so happy when we read your reviews !!!
especially you like the Korean food !!!
our guesthouse's mama also very happy !!!
welcome to our guesthouse next time !!!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Loved the authenticity of this place. The family that own it are so lovely and helpful. We weren't there long but they were great help. Got us in to a NANTA show, was great. The even provide a home cooked authentic breakfast each morning. I'm not a huge fan of weird and wonderful things but the home made seafood kimchi pancake was to die for ! Great place to check out. :) Highly Recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hello ,dear friends ,thanks very much for your helpful and friendly coment !!!
It was very nice for us when we read your review !!!
And it was also a wonderful time to be with you !!!
Welcome to our guesthouse next time !!!
Have a nice and happy day !!!