“Interesting location”

Staz Hotel Myeongdong 1
Ranked #95 of 500 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is interestingly located in an area full of all types of hardware shops, luckily there is a convenient store downstair and a Starbucks round the corner inside the Seoul Theatre should you need a quick bite of food and drink.
Beware that there are 2 Sutton Hotel, each locates oppositely along the riverbank of Cheonggyecheon, even taxi driver easily mistaken which is which, though we showed him the hotel namecard. The one we checked in has changed name to Seven Street Myeongdong, but all labels n logo still say Sutton Hotel. Best is to have the reception to mark the hotel location in the map for easy reference should one need to return to the right hotel.
Per hotel facilities, so far ok and bed is comfortable, except one night we returned n found towels were taken without replacement, the housekeeping came to rescue in 5 mins. and that was midnight already.
Lastly, it takes us 15 mins to walk to Myeongdong and 35 mins to Dongdaemun(which was a stupid decision unless you like to be embraced by swarm of flies from the river, yet the walk covers markets n wedding shops n wholesale places of clothings, books etc..interesting as long as you dont mind the flies.)

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nancy L
There are newer reviews for Staz Hotel Myeongdong 1

Reviewed May 4, 2014

LOCATION/ACCESSIBILITY
We booked under the Sutton Hotel Myeongdong, which, apparently, is also Hotel Seven Street Myeongdong. Quite misleading. Also, there is another one called Sutton Hotel Seoul, just situated 5 minutes from this one and by the stream. Please make sure to emphasize this to the cabbie if you are heading to this hotel by taxi.
2 minute walk from Euljiro 3 subway station exit 4, 1 stop away from the famous Myeongdong Shopping area and a 5-minute stroll from the Cheonggyecheon Stream. The hotel itself has its own 7-eleven at the basement and several korean restaurants just outside their lobby. There is even a pojangmacha (street food tent) just around the corner (great for midnight to early morning cravings of najkibokkum or stri-fried octopus paired with ice-cold soju). Very, very convenient!

ROOMS
When we learned that we got upgraded, I painted this luxurious picture in my mind. However, we were ushered into a small but clean and well-furnished room. While we were thankful for the kind gesture, I wondered what our room would have been like, size-wise, if we were not upgraded to this room. However, everything was spotless and the bathroom had working H/C showers and a bidet complete with a heated toilet seat. Perfect for grumpy mornings! :)
Because it was still spring when we came over, only the heaters were functioning and you would have to rely on the cold spring air from outside (they pass through this small vents at the bottom of the glass windows) for your airconditioning. While I am for green initiatives, I think it would also be best to have both A/C and heaters working all year round and leave it up to the patrons to use either one according to their liking. But the vent system was ingenious though!

WIFI and GADGETS
It's FREE and has one router on every floor. Fast and reliable. Just ensure that you bring your own adaptor for your gadgets. The lobby has some but you would have to make a deposit of 10,000KRW to use one.

VIEW
We stayed at Rm 807, where, when you open the window, you get to have a panoramic view of a typical commercial street in the foreground with the Namsam Tower atop the mountain in the background. Can't complain. :)

BREAKFAST
We did not avail of a room with breakfast but we can see from the lobby that the hotel also has its in-house restaurant.

I could stay here again if given the chance!

Room Tip: We stayed at Rm 807 and it has one of the best views of the nearby Namsam Tower atop the mountain!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gilryan N
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Note: I booked under the name Sutton Hotel Myeongdong, but it seems it is also named Seven Street Myeongdong...I hope they are both the same place, at least the pictures match.

This hotel was exactly what I was looking for: a comfortable, clean and nice place just to sleep and located very close to a subway station. Both expectations were fulfilled. The room was not big but good enough for what I needed. Furniture and appliances in good order and modern and bedding comfortable. It was less than 5 minutes walk from one subway station with good connections to everywhere.

On the down side the hotel street is not appealing as it is a secondary street in a district with many hardware stores (i.e. tile shops, bathroom appliances etc). But even if not "pretty" the area was perfectly safe and just a half block from a main avenue with many shops and more appealing face. However I must note this is a comment for reference of the readers. For me this was not a problem at all since like I said above my priorities were other. The other down side to note was the bathtub size. It was the shortest baththub I've ever seen! Again, just noting that but for me it was no issue since I only used it as shower.

In summary, if you don't mind about the hardware stores in the area and the small tub this is a very good option due to its location close to transportation and with quality accomodation at reasonable price. If ever back in Seoul could reconsider this place.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Oh well..i stay frm 11 Apr till 16 Apr and the excitement of staying is decreasing. I knw the Do's & Dont's in the hospitality industry as my colleague & I are working at hotels in Singapore. I book for a terrace room and expected the bathtub in the balcony terrace shud be working but not. When i call dwn to the reception, she told that it was due to Spring season. Excuse me..are they trying to say that it only avail during summer season?? Ok but still the tub is dirty n stain as though the housekeeping didnt do their job. Then next up, their housekeeping service is worse. It will be frm morning till last clean service is at 4pm. My colleague n I woke up late at 3.30pm as we had our nightlife the day before & both of us were sick then. So i tell the reception Kwon to make-up room at arnd 5pm and explained the reason why. Guess wat?! He said, "no no. Our housekeeping is untill 5pm so the latest is at 4pm." Did he expect us to get out of the room in 30mins time w/o wash up 1st or not to clean room at all??!! Mygod!! Kwon is; do not hav can-do attitude, no smile, aggressive look, rude. Then, if your charger is not the same voltage as Korea, do standby 10,000? for borrowing 1 adapter & the money will be return upon chck-out. Abt complimentary water, please dont expect more cause they will only give 2 bottles a day. If u want more, be more firm like me, just keep on asking untill they say ok. Ppfftt! The wi-fi is not stable so do prepared abt it.

Upon chck-out, wat i can express my gratitude is towards reception Jonathan Kim as he treat me like his VIP guest. Even his English is basic, but he knws n understand us. I'm uncertain abt the shuttle bus to seoul station but he show me the timetable of the shuttle bus. So i told him dat i have a night flight but wanna go out 1st. Wat he suggest me is to leave my 4 luggages at the reception so that i wont be dragging the luggages all arnd. He indeed infrm me to be at the hotel lobby 5mins before the shuttle bus departure. It means that he wants me to be early to avoid disappointment upon my departure. Things that need to be awared of:
¤ chckout time is at 11am; latest at 12pm subject.
¤ 1 adapter cn be borrow at 10,000?; will return the 10,000? upon chckout
¤ dental kit like toothbrush is not provided
¤ only 2 comp bottled water daily
¤ housekeeping service is frm morning till 4pm ONLY.
¤ shuttle bus is avail frm hotel to seoul station
¤ to the hotel, may alight at Euljiro 3(sam)-ga, exit 2. Go straight n the 1st street turn left. Then turn right. Hotel is on ur left. *be prepared with strong legs as most stations got No escalator. So 2-3 flights of stairs are waiting for u ahead.

Thus, i got doubt in returning to the hotel.

3  Thank Dayah A
Reviewed March 31, 2014

It is important to note there are 2 Sutton Hotels in this area - Myeongdong and Seoul. Make sure you know which one you are staying at. The front desk was friendly and helpful, and they speak English fairly well. We booked a single room with one bed, and the room was pretty small, but served its purpose for a good nights rest and a shower. There is a 7-11 downstairs if you need to buy anything.

The best part about this hotel is it is near 2 Subway lines (around 3-5 minute walk). There are not a lot of places to eat downstairs, but you are around 10-15 minute walk from Myeongdong shopping area and Avenue of Youth (for pubs and restaurants).

Tip: A lot of taxi drivers do not know where this place is, and they do not understand English very well. Ask the Front Desk for an address card to show your taxi driver if you need a ride back to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nhtraveller10
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed here last year with my 2 siblings, brother in law and 1 year old nephew at the time. The hotel was really great; VERY clean, front desk staff was very helpful, and had a 7-11 in the basement of the building (accessible via elevator). We had twin sized beds in our room, which was actually pretty good because we all got our own beds. One of the best parts of the hotel was in the bathroom - there was a Samsung bidet toilet seat... first time I've ever seen it and used it and it was amazing!

If you don't speak Korean, it's really hard to get around, but luckily, the front desk was able to write down some key places for us and we just handed it to the cab driver and off we went, safe and sound. Seoul was BEAUTIFUL and so clean, cleaner than I'd imagined.

The location could be better, but we didn't really know our way around, so it wasn't too bad. I really liked this hotel overall!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2014

i used taxi from incheon airport to euljiro (sutton hotel)
but the taxi driver cant find this hotel, because the location behind some industrial (porcelain) shop.not in the main road.

recomend : if u lost..go to sutton hotel myeongdong (still same company) rather than u circle around the block.

what about the hotel ,
1. affordable
2. close to euljiro MRT, its best acces to everywhere.
3. the guest officer is really helpfull