“All in All - a great home base for touring Seoul”

Seoul Base Camp Hostel
Ranked #96 of 546 Specialty Lodging in Seoul
“All in All - a great home base for touring Seoul”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

For about a week we enjoyed the chill staff, waffles, and atmosphere at Seoul Base Camp. The location is pretty good - couldnt be closer to the subway and walking distance to a few good areas. The overall style is pretty utilitarian but comfortable enough. Would be nice to go there in the summer when the rooftop could be used. I did enjoy the shampoo, conditioner and bodywash provided in the showers (and the shower shoes!).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hyok K, 매니저 at Seoul Base Camp Hostel, responded to this review, April 23, 2016
Thank you! Our location and the simple set up is our strength.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 25, 2013

10 things I LOVE about SBC
1. Location. It has THE BEST location. Located just out of Hapjeong station. Takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to Hongdae. There's even a 7/11 downstairs (comes in handy when you run out of Korean Soju in the middle of the night)
2. Smell. This hostel smells GOOD! That was my first impression when I stepped in. I've always liked places with good smell cos it shows cleanliness.. which brings me to my next point
3. Cleanliness. SBC is really clean and tidy. It amazes me how chaotic things can be at night especially when we're drinking, crumbs on the floor, empty packet of chips on table... but when morning comes, everything becomes spick and span again.
4. Convenience. The airport limousine shuttle is just 2 minutes walk from SBC. Great for those with luggages.
5. Price. Total value for money. In fact, the service and experience that you will get far exceed the amount you paid for.
6. Ambiance. SBC has a homely feel to it. Place is super cosy and everyone's friendly. Good vibes. It's a Home away from Home.
7. People. Hostel owners, Jake and Min really know their stuff. If you ever need any 411 on Korea, they are the go-to guys. Did I mention that they speak perfect English too? The other travelers I got to know during my stay there are now my friends. :)
8. Accommodation. I got the 10bed mixed dorm. Looks similar to the Japanese sleeping capsules. You get your own personal space and even a power point to charge your hp.
9. Amenities. Towels are provided. There's shampoo, conditioner and shower gel in the bathroom. There's even a hairdryer in the dressing area. They provide laundry services for a reasonable fee. SBC also has computers if you need to log on the net.
10. Rooftop. I can imagine the rooftop to be a popular hangout in Summer. The kitchen is located at the rooftop and you can help yourself to the loaves of bread and other food stuff. There's also a hot tub at the rooftop. :)

The only setback for me is having Post-SBC blues when I left.
I really love this place and I think you will too! Book it and you won't regret it.

Room Tip: The private cubbies are unique and gives you more privacy. SBC provides ear plugs for the light slee...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank limmarina
Hyok K, 매니저 at Seoul Base Camp Hostel, responded to this review, April 23, 2016
Wow, I don't think I can write something like this even if I tried. Thank you so much. Sorry for the post-sbc blues. We are always here to receive you again.
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed December 21, 2013

On my first few trips to Seoul, I stayed at a number of hostels. But once I hit Seoul Base Camp (sometime in 2012), there was no going back -- I've stayed there on every trip up since, & have even called them up with more general questions when I've been in a bind in Seoul.

At first glance, it may seem a little "rough around the edges", but one soon comes to realise that that is part of the charm -- Jake, Min & the friends of Base Camp are constantly adding to the facilities as necessary, building things by hand… and having a good time doing so.

Not only is it central (a stone's throw away from Hapjeong subway stop AND 5-10 minutes away from Hongdae) and great value for money (it's the most affordable I've stayed at, there are waffles for brekkie, & it's one of the cleanest too), it also lends itself to wonderful community in a relaxed atmosphere.

Hmmm… Methinks it's time for another visit. Soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I've been in and out of Seoul many times and keep coming back to this place.

Seoul Base Camp is a very urban, very loft-like, spacious hostel right in Seoul's best neighborhood. It makes a great base for the best eating and drinking that the city has to offer. It is located just out of Hapjeong Station near an upscale, walkable and hip cafe district. Easy access to the airport and to the center of Seoul.

The owners / staff / other dwellers are always great.
Very clean.
Very accessible.
Rooftop perfect for evening drinks.
Perfect location.
Good price.
Your best choice in Seoul.

Room Tip: I slept fine in the 10-person dorm
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Hyok K, Owner at Seoul Base Camp Hostel, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Thank you so much for the review. I could not have said it better.
Paris, France
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I've been living in Seoul for few months and seen different hostels, and Seoul Base Camp is the real and best way to stay in Seoul. The location is perfect: central, different metro lines, 5 minutes walk to Hongdae area. The place is clean and cosy. The owner is awesome. The atmosphere is calm and the military installations are well done.
I've been there for 2 weeks with 3 other friends, it was cool and fun.
Definitively the best backpacker's place in Seoul !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Looking back at my journeys in eastern asia, SBC is definitely the most memorable hostel I visited. During my two months in Korea, I stayed all in all about a month in SBC.

The location in Hapjeong is excellent. Its on the green (no. 2) subway line, which is the circular subway line that takes you practically everywhere inside the city. Its also on the edge of the Hongdae area, which is filled with cafes, restaurants, shops and endless possibilities for nightlife.
Right next to SBC is a futuristic mall, with a large hypermarket. There are also many western style restaurants, fastfood chains and an easy foodcourt, in case your not feeling ready to dive into the Korean foodscene. If you are, though, I recommend asking the SBC staff for some sweet dinner spots.

The facility might have a rough look to it, but its just superbly practical. All of the rooms are mixed dorms, either capsules or bunk-beds. There are no actual walls, but thick canvas, that separates the rooms from eachother. Therefore there is not much noise cancellation between the rooms, but since the kitchen and the roof (where the parties are at) are on the next floor, there's hardly ever trouble with noise.
Jake & Min, the founders and owners of SBC, both speak fluent english, and are extremely helpful when it comes to everyday traveller problems.

If I'd have to come up with something negative about the place, I'd say that the laundry service is a little overpriced. (Although it's quite nice dumping all your dirty things to the staff, and get them back clean and neatly folded the next day.)

I recommend this place especially for solo travellers. During my stay there was always someone ready for adventure, be it a night out, a lunch or even a mountain hike. Just lay back in the common room and chat for a while, you'll feel the SBC vibe.

Room Tip: * The capsules are slightly more expensive, but totally worth it! (Own electric socket, little more...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Seoul Base Camp does a great job providing fun accommodations – comfy Korean beds in spacious tent-like rooms, a great location that is walking distance to Hongdae nightlife and the Hapjeong subway station, etc. – but where it really one ups the competition is with its friendly staff duo, Jake and Min, who are committed to making Seoul Base Camp the best hostel you've ever stayed in (and why yes, they have done it).

Jake and Min are extremely easy to talk to, whether you're asking for advice on the next great thing to do in Seoul or just want to talk about life, love, and the pursuit of happiness. They do not skimp in their resources to help you enjoy your stay, my personal favorite being a wall-sized real estate map that pinpoints the great beginnings to many fantastic adventures in the ever-lovely city of Seoul.

Some of my fondest memories on this planet were made at Seoul Base Camp or were a direct result of the spot-on suggestions given to me by its staff. I can only give my highest regards to Jake, Min, and the amazing effort they put forth into making Seoul Base Camp a place I would be comfortable calling "home" – I can guarantee they'll be seeing me for many years to come. :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo