“Unbeaten in high quality for little money”
Review of OKitchen - CLOSED

OKitchen
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Itaewon
Seoul, South Korea
“Unbeaten in high quality for little money”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My wife and me went back to OKitchen after a long time (about 1 year) - whilst the staff and especially the owner are super nice to our small kids, it is just to stressful to enjoy the excellent food. Now we had a babysitter and finally we went back for dinner...
For starter we shared the polenta cake - which is actually a piece of polenta cake under a spinach salad with fresh marinated mushrooms, topped with shaven parmesan. An absolute must have!
Main course were Gnocchi with pumpkin sauce (a dream) for my wife and Bucatini Amatriciana for myself (this is my most favourite Pasta dish and i try it anywhere i go - the version by OKitchen is for sure the best in Seoul - outperforming all Italian restaurants i went to, which btw are far more expensive).
Desert (shared again) was an apple cranberry cake with home made vanilla ice cream, the only regret i have about it, i had to share.
Along with dinner we had two glasses of french house red wine (a great tip - really good value).
the entire dinner came below 80k KRW - you can't get this quality of food anywhere around.
The atmosphere is very warm and welcoming. We will definitely go here more often again - babysitter allowing.

• Visited February 2013

• Korean first
“Awesome-topia!”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Me and my husband have lived in Korea for almost 2 years now and just found this place. It is our Winter Break so we decided to find a nice restaurant to go to. We went to Itaewon to a restaurant I looked up called OKitchen. It is a fusion restaurant where the 12-14 cooks on staff from various different countries serve you their food. We each had the tasting menu. For dinner you get a 7-course meal for price-fix of seasonal and daily items. We had an exceptional meal and experience there. We ordered a bottle of Merlot to accompany our meal and waited for the deliciousness to begin. We were served fresh mini onion buns, sliced warm French bread, tea biscuit-like bread, and lavish bread, with a side of balsamic and olive oil while we waited for our meal to begin. To start we had the seafood/sashimi platter, which consisted of various types of exquisitely prepared sashimi. There was sea cucumber, yellowfin tuna, mackerel, halibut, oyster, baby salmon, and 3 other kinds of sashimi that I can’t remember what they were but were de-licious! Each had complimentary flavoured toppings, like thinly sliced mango, or fried leeks or quinoa with a spicy sauce. It was probably the best sashimi we’ve ever had. Then for our 2nd course, we had a cauliflower steak, grilled, and topped with bacon powder and a dark, salty sauce to accompany it. Not normally something that either of us would order off a menu but was great with this tasting sampler. 3rd course was a root vegetable terrine (carrot, sweet potato, turnip?, squash, potato, and beet) with gorgonzola cream topped with various pickled vegetables (ginger, carrot, beet, etc.) to decorate the plate (this place really was all about food art for its presentation, which was greatly appreciated by us, as we have frequented many exceptional restaurants in our time [especially in Southwestern Ontario, so far). Our 4th course was maybe the best pasta dish we have EVER had – it was homemade (all of it was actually) potato gnocchi, perfectly fried with a mashed-potato-like inside, served on top of a bacon Amatriciana sauce. Sooooooo good! I wish I could have had this with a bottle of our wine the whole night!!!! Then we were served a palate cleanser of basil-lemon sorbet, which was divine on its own. Our servers were promptly on top of everything throughout this whole time, topping up our wine and waters, clearing our plates simultaneously, and perfectly timing when our next courses would arrive. I had read that the service was a bit lacking as cooks were servers but I experienced a different thing – they were exceptional; telling us about each course and being very customer service oriented. (*Both me and Jeremy have worked in restaurants for over a decade, so this is definitely a compliment.) After our palate cleanser, it was time for our main course. We had both ordered the duck confit dish. Our entrée consisted of duck leg stuffed with a mushroom, walnut and cranberry stuffing, as well as sliced duck breast on a puree of chestnut, with a small green accompaniment. Perfecto! We finished the last of our vino while dessert was being prepared. We also ordered the upgrade to cappuccinos to end our meal. Dessert was similar to miniature chocolate lava cakes served atop mint? and strawberry? sauces with a side of fresh strawberry puréed sorbet; and a salted caramel sauce topped custard-like dessert with a hint of chocolate flavor that was speeeeec-tacular served with an espresso-vanilla ice cream topped with the most delicious chocolate I have EVER had in my life!!!! It was slightly salty, chocolate-y and a little bit crunchy. It was like 3 layers of stuff in a tiny, heart shaped delight ☺ (*But seriously, I want a million of these!) The cappuccino was an actual cappuccino (unlike any other we’ve ever ordered in Korea) and a fantastic ending to the meal. I can’t compliment this place enough and can’t wait to go back again. It felt like, for a small amount of time, that I was transported back to a high-end restaurant back in Canada and I didn’t remember I was in Korea with the same, mostly bland (sorry Korea), tasting food in every restaurant. I’m so happy I found this place – it really made the top point of our vacation week ☺ Awesometopia!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Ashley J
Singapore, Singapore
“In Good Hands.”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have dined at OKitchen twice during my 3-month stay in Seoul. The restaurant offers an affordable 5-course set menu (excluding coffee and tea) at 26000-40000 KRW after taxes. The more expensive lunch menu features the Hanwoo beef (Korean equivalent of the wagyu). In both meals, I wasn't disappointed with the food in both occasions, its safe to say that I know I am in good hands when I dine at OKitchen, there is always something to look forward to in the food without breaking the bank.

Before every meal, they will serve a basket of bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, my favourite the fragrant Onion Foccacia bread.

The meal proper starts with a Seafood Plate featuring the freshest fishes for the season and prepared in various ways where you begin with the mildest of flavours to the most intense. This is an amazing experience as you get to experience a myriad of flavours that have been creatively put together by the chef and his team.

Next would be a soup then a salad. My most memorable salad dish is the Root Vegetable Terrine with Gorgonzola Mousse. Root vegetables was chosen because it is the vegetables you get during the winter months. The best part of the dish is when you get to mix and match the varying textures and flavours of the different root vegetables in the terrine.

The mains always have pastas in them. The pasta tasted different from the mainstream Korean pastas which are normally sweet or have processed cheese in them. So if you are looking for some real Italian style pasta, OKitchen is the place to go. My pick is the Casarecce with Mushrooms, a cream-based pasta infused with fragrant mushroom flavours.

Lastly the meal will end with a daily cake or pie. Its quite decent too.

The service here is excellent too, there was once my friends and I dined at OKitchen. One of them only take meat and is allergic to shellfish while the other only eats fish and vegetables. The chef was able to accommodate to both of their diets by tuning the menu for them. Even more surprising was that the both of them enjoyed their meals in the end, which was quite rare.

In short, if you are in Seoul, do not miss out on OKitchen!

• Visited December 2012
Hong Kong
“Splendid experience!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is my first review on TA, and I SIMPLY had to do this 'coz this place is THAT good. Anyways, my boyfriend and I flew to Seoul on X'mas Eve and thanks to the horrific traffic jam on the highway, we were exactly an hour behind our booking by the time we reached the restaurant. So imagine our shock when we saw the restaurant had the 'Closed' sign on the door... they have stopped taking in customers for the night! Since it was late and snowing outside, we decided to barge in and try our luck. When my boyfriend was done explaining our situation, the waitress just exclaimed "You are Nick!" and brought us to our table by the warm corner... apparently they have saved the table for us although the restaurant was fully booked. HOW NICE OF THEM. (And did I mention there was a small X'mas tree on the table with Nick's name on it?!) I had a tear in my eye by that time. The owner of the restaurant then came forward to welcome us (how sweet!) and wished a wonderful dinner ahead before handing us this basket of warm homemade bread... YUMS. Wonderful dinner it was indeed! What followed was a series of dishes that took my breath away with every bite. Normally, I am not a fan of fusion food... guess I haven't had really good ones before this! I shall not go into the specifics of every dish, but trust me on it when I said every dish from the ratatouille with ricotta cheese, ravioli stuffed with garlic pudding to the roasted Han-woo beef was exquisitely prepared. *licks lips* The waiter/cook would come and explain every dish to us, so that was really a lovely personal touch without overdoing it (as opposed to some other more high-end restaurants cough cough). After paying for the bill, they even gave us some delectable homemade cookies as a gift. The entire dining experience was topnotch indeed and not in the least incomparable to the ones I had at the six-star hotels. This restaurant is really one of my favourite place in Seoul. Please do visit if you have a chance!

• Visited December 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
“If you are looking for a non traditionell korean restaurant ....,and wish to be inspired by the european kitchen!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Good contempory food, however this place could be anywhere.

Pasta bolonese is really good as well as the beef - really tender! Go for it!

1 Thank R B