“Cozy Hanok Experience”

Ranked #35 of 956 Seoul B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Cozy Hanok Experience”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The Hanok is located about 5 mins walk away from the Anguk station and the Airport Bus stop. Its website contains a photo guide to get to Hanok. I cant post the link to the website due to Tripadvisors policy, but you can google "daum" & "gogoleechul", its the webpage listed on visitseoul website. If you dont understand Korean (like I don't), just click on "How to get to Namhyundang on the left side bar, and then number 8. It should be easy to locate the place using the guide.
Besides the station, the hanok is within walking distance to both palaces, Insadong, and also the samcheongdong area. It is also a few stops away from both Myeungdong shopping and Hyehwa university area. The Hanok is also 5 minutes walk away from Jongro 3 station, which makes it accessible by the Dark Blue Line 1, which is connected to Seoul station.

Mr Lee was also very hospital to us even though we only stayed there for 1 day, before moving on to Busan. Breakfast was good, though it was not the traditional Korean kind but he modern Western breakfast with eggs, toast, jam and juices.
The toilet is clean and the floor heating works wonder in winter.

Highly recommend a Hanok stay as opposed to a traditional hotel stay. It was truly an memorable experience. Would certainly stay at Namhyundang again when i return to Seoul.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank l0nEr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Penang
Reviewed January 2, 2014

It was our 1st hanok experience and I must say it was a good one thanks to Namhyundang. It's located near to Anguk Station. However, it could be quite tricky trying to locate it for the 1st time if you do not read Korean. Anyway, it's just right at the small alley beside the elementry school. From outside it looks like any normal hanok but on the inside it's very modern and clean. We booked the family room which sleeps 3 people. It comes with an attached bathroom which was kept really clean and was one of the things I liked best there. Everything is provided including big towels (which is rare in Korea, they usually provide face towel), toothpaste, nice shampoo and body shampoo, hair dryer, etc. The mattress and comforters were comfortable, too. Another thing we liked was the breakfast spread. They have coffee, juice, croissants, toasts with all sorts of spreads which was really good. It is also a walking distance to Changdeokgung Palace (10-15 mins). Ironically we find that this was our most comfortable stay during our trip, even though we had to sleep on the floor. :D

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank meilin
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed December 7, 2013

This place is very much as reviews have described: a lovely, traditional Korean guesthouse, with the special hospitality and generosity of the hosts - Mr. Lee and his family. Location is excellent – walking distance to Insadong, palaces, and subway station. A memorable experience, and a wonderful alternative to conventional hotels. Highly recommended, if you're looking for a different way to experience Seoul.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Lovely Hanok accommodation. Wonderful owner and his sister was also very nice. This Hanok is very close to Anguk station, 2 palaces, Insadong, as well as the Bukchon Hanok Village. I highly recommend this guesthouse.

• Stayed November 2013
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I was persuaded by some Korean folk I know in the UK to extend my stay in Seoul from a 19 hour stopover to 3 nights. I was apprehensive about it but thanks mainly to the wonderful hospitality I received from Mr. Lee & his sister I now wish that I had stayed longer. As all the reviews suggest nothing was too much trouble and Mr. Lee even came down to the subway to help me purchase a tube ticket having given me a lift all over the city to transfer my luggage somewhere. The room might have been small but I slept unbelievably well. Must have been all the Feng Shui. Definitely worth trying even if you like your creature comforts.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JaneyB123
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Experience: I think it was a good experience! Wanted to stay in a hanok when i visit korea so much and finally get to stay at one! It was fun sleeping at the thick mattress and the common area which is the dining area is fun as well. Although would be even more interesting if they had the "low table" where i've seen alot of koreans sitting and eating BBQ on it.

Location: Absolutely great location! Although the hanok is a little difficult to find, the location is ideally in Insadong. Just 2 minutes walk to insadong old street, such a pity, my friend and I only found out the short cut to the shopping streets on our 2nd last day. Anyway, Insadong is a perfect place for tourist, the famous gyeonbokgung and Cheongdukgung are just walking distance! UhnHyeongGong is just beside the Hanok! On that day we check out, there is a wedding reenactment of Gojong? King... Went there too late, it was crowded, couldnt see a thing. Would be really awesome if i had came ealier! Anyway, this shows how fun this area is....
It is also walking distance to Bukchon Hanok and in between both Jonggak and Angguk station.

Service:
Mr Lee is so hospital towards us even though we're just staying at his hanok for a day. (we moved to crown insadong which is just next street because we're saving cost on accommodation). Our room was not suppose to have private toilet and instead a shared toilet. Since there's no one staying at the bigger room with private toilet, he free upgraded us! On the first day we check in, we're not suppose to have breakfast but he offered us coffee and toast knowing that we did not have breakfast! On the 2nd day breakfast, it was awesome, although simple, Mr Lee brought many stuff on the table for us to eat. Toast, coffee, orange juice, egg, different spreads, yoghurt, fruits etc... After we checked out, he even asked us to come back for breakfast because crown hotel does not include breakfast! We didn't but really appreciate him for being so hospital toward us...

How to reach there: After UhnHyeongGung, you'll see a school, after that, you'll see a really small alley. Turn in and continue walking. the hanok is at the end.

Other than the hanok being a little difficult to find, all is good. Perhaps, Excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

i went to seoul at first time in my life. I make everything feel dangerous in there. however the family make me have courage.
And when i leave the place, i come to put down my jacket. also the owner send me one by no cost

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo